The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Water in boat? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/2935-water-boat.html)

duketter 07-09-2009 04:23 PM

Water in boat?

1996 Mariah Jubilee with captains exhaust - Is it possible for water to come into the back of the boat (fill bottom back of boat by engine) through the exhaust pipes sticking out the back? This boat has the captain's exhaust system. It seems like there is always a little water in the back after boating. We run the bilge pump and it takes the water right out but curious where this water could be coming from?

Z 202 07-09-2009 05:15 PM

Re: Water in boat?

It's probably not coming from the exahust.

How much is "a little"? Water in the bilge could be a couple of things; cool water on exterior of the hull causes condensation from the humid air in the boat, it's also possible that one of your coolers drains into the bilge.

If you are getting substantial water in the bilge, the most likely culprit would a crack in the drive bellows, or the a leak at the smaller bellows on the shift cable.

duketter 07-09-2009 06:07 PM

I guess I shouldn't say a little. I would say about a gallon of water or two. So maybe not a little. Is there anyway to check those bellows? What exactly are they, the rubber boots by the lower unit? We really haven't filled any coolers in the boat so may have to check the bellow option you mentioned.

Z 202 07-09-2009 07:01 PM

Yes, the bellows is the rubber boot that flexes as you trim the drive It is located between the top of the outdrive unit and the transom assembly. It you trailer trim your drive, you should be able to look up and see them. Inspect for any cracks or broken/rusted clamps. The shift cable has a smaller bellows on it as well.

RKgrubbs 06-14-2010 07:52 AM

you might want to check the hull for "blisters". Water could seep in through them and drain to engine compartment.

jgreen 06-14-2010 02:08 PM

Indeed you should check the exhaust too. If you look at the manifolds, you see rubber sleeves connecting the "Y" that directs the exhaust to the prop or the transom to the transom pipes. These should be clamped with double stainless steel hose clamps. Make sure they are tight and leak free. A loose hose clamp here can fill your bilge up pretty fast. (ask me how I know!)
Get yourself a flushing attachment too. Then you can run the engine out of the water to check hoses. If there are no leaks then it might be a bellows on the outdrive.

1stDave 06-14-2010 02:31 PM

If you have a lot of swimmers, skiers, wakeboarders etc. the water that drips from them after being in the water can be that much.

RKgrubbs 06-14-2010 03:14 PM

1stDave
Thanks for your reply.
That is a good thought.
In my case it was just sitting in the water and sucking up the lake.

RKgrubbs 06-14-2010 03:27 PM

JGREEN
Pease tell how you know....

Boatcrazy 06-14-2010 03:32 PM

Does your speedo work?

I have a friend that I helped look for the source of a slow leak in the bilge and I found the speedo tubing that comes from the transom plate up to the speedo had a small crack in it and would only leak when underway. Just a thought.