The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   need advise on buying 2001 Mariah (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/2345-need-advise-buying-2001-mariah.html)

urim 04-21-2009 03:48 AM

need advise on buying 2001 Mariah

hi,

i am looking into buying a 2001 Mariah, 20ft, V8, 5.0L boat.
need advise if this is a smart thing to do given the fact that spare parts are scarce.
as i am new to this kind of boats i would like to get advise if this is a good move or do i need to look for a different model/year?

thanks in advance

Uri

blockp 04-21-2009 01:35 PM

Re: need advise on buying 2001 Mariah

Uh, no offense, but you are asking this question on a Mariah forum where we are all obviously bios towards our boats. Yes, absolutely buy it! Sight unseen if you have to! :yes_grin:

Seriously though, have it checked out thoroughly to make sure it's solid. Just because it's one of the best boats ever built, doesn't mean that it's been taken care of. 8 years of abuse and it could be ready for the scrap yard. Or, 8 years of proper maintenance and spoiling and it might be the nicest 2001 around.

Z 202 04-21-2009 02:01 PM

While some of the parts were made in house by Mariah, most of these are robust enough that if the boat has been properly cared for, shouldn't need any immediate replacement. Just an FYI, the original Mariah offered a lifetime warranty on their hull, which should give you an idea of how confident they were in desiging and building these boats.

All of the parts for the driveline (engine and outdrive) are readily available, as Mercruiser is still in business. :)

We have a long list of suppliers in the Mariah Parts thread who can provide replacements for a large portion of the other hardware on the boat.

Have a good look over it, post up any issues you might think are worthy of consideration maybe even post some pictures if you can. I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback.

I've been around power boats for close to 30 years, and these old Mariah's rank at the top of the best built, best performing and nicest riding boats I've been in. If you find one that is in decent shape, I would advise you to go for it! :D

Kitto 04-21-2009 04:56 PM

I haven't even got mine in the water yet, but based on the time I have spent with boats and the time I have spent tinkering with mine this winter I agree whole heartedly with the others. Not only that, this site is AWESOME for help with anything you need. Everyone does their best to help out. I purchased a 2002 this winter and it was in great shape. Pull the trigger!!:stick_em_up:

ShabahZ280 04-21-2009 11:30 PM

Go for it. :wink_thumbup: But first check it out, and take it on a sea trial.

If it needs anything, parts-wise, we'll help you find what you need! This will become your new favorite website. We're all here to help, and you won't find a more friendly bunch of boat owners anywhere. :D

dieselwiezil 04-22-2009 05:43 AM

Bring
Out
Another
Thousand!

fbinker 04-22-2009 12:19 PM

That is true about this becoming your new favorite website, i check out the forum letters at least 4-5 times a day. Being a first time boat owner this website has become a life saver for me. I find myself looking at postings from years ago, just to gain knowledge about boats. So I would like to thankyou all for helping me out.

WetWilly 04-23-2009 09:07 AM

Hi fbinker and welcome to the club!

I'm glad to hear that your looking through the old threads. You're right, there is so much information to be discovered on this forum dating back almost two years!

It's amazing what you can find here and locating it is easier with the "Search" function. Doing a little detective work first also helps to reduce repetitive threads. So if anyone needs or would like any assistance on how to use the "Search", just drop me a line! (maybe another tutorial? :rolleyes:)

WetWilly