The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Retractable Cleats (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/2316-retractable-cleats.html)

Threejakes 04-15-2009 11:37 PM

Retractable Cleats

3 Attachment(s)
I installed these cleats on the Mariah. The kids were getting hung up on the exposed original ones. They would catch on their swimming trunks and tear the material, not to mention the injuries. The hardest part was cutting the hole that they fit in. These boats are well built to be sure! The picture of the finished product speaks for itself.

il_Mio 04-16-2009 08:24 AM

Re: Retractable Cleats

Nice job !

dbarnie 04-16-2009 03:53 PM

Very Nice!! What brand and size are the new ones that you put on? Thinking about doing the same when the boat comes out of storage.

Threejakes 04-16-2009 09:06 PM

They are the 6" size. I am not near the boat now, so I can't tell you how wide they are. I got this kind because they are flat. Some of the cleats I looked at were somewhat rounded and stuck up from the hull. I didn't like the way they looked.

I bought them from Consumers Marine Electronics
5398 NE Greenville Blvd.
Greenville, NC 27834-8616
1-800-332-2628

They are item # 31995 6" stainless steel flush mount cleats

They are $159.98 for two + tax

I know that's a lot of money, but my Dad used to say, "Buy Cheap-Get Cheap."
I think they are worth it, and I wanted to do this only once!

ShabahZ280 04-17-2009 01:28 AM

Are those push button cleats? Those are pretty sweet! Great job!

My Z250 has similar flush mounted cleats, but no button. It has a recessed spot where you can get your finger in to pull the actual cleat out. The only bad thing is, that recessed area collects water, and when you push the cleat back in so it sits flush, BAM, a face and mouthful of nasty water! :rolleyes:

z275st 04-17-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShabahZ250 (Post 13426)
Are those push button cleats? Those are pretty sweet! Great job!

My Z250 has similar flush mounted cleats, but no button. It has a recessed spot where you can get your finger in to pull the actual cleat out. The only bad thing is, that recessed area collects water, and when you push the cleat back in so it sits flush, BAM, a face and mouthful of nasty water! :rolleyes:

I have the same type cleats. If you look at the back side of the cleats there are plastic plugs that can be removed to let the water drain out. It of course it will drain into the boat but it isn't that much and will dry or end up in the bilge.
Better than in the face!

ShabahZ280 04-17-2009 06:05 PM

No kidding! Thanks for the info John!! :wink_thumbup:

dbarnie 04-21-2009 07:29 PM

So John, did you buy the pop ups from Attwood then?
Wasn't sure if they were wide enough to replace the screw holes from the standard cleats.

Bowtiestereoman 07-26-2020 03:01 PM

This is awesome, nice work! Been looking at the same retro on my Shabah.:wink_thumbup: