The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   buying a prop need help (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/2277-buying-prop-need-help.html)

greencanuck 04-20-2009 01:42 AM

Re: buying a prop need help

I have one in aluminum 13.75" 3 blade 21P. I can find out what there are worth and work you a deal if your interested. Where are you at?

22empire 04-28-2009 03:45 PM

I just saw this.. I am in Barrie, and I would be interested in a prop. I need to see if there is a spare in the boat when I pick it up on Saturday regardless...

Eddie 04-28-2009 04:28 PM

Just to throw this out there because it happened on my bass boat! My prop was slipping and after some discussion and looking from a local prop guy (Old guy with lots of knowledge), all he did was put a lip on the backside of every blade which in turn caused the prop to catch more water, in return no slippage!

mikeyt 04-28-2009 08:19 PM

Yep, i've seen that work. That's why prop blades with more pronounced 'cupping' tend to perform better. You can go too far though.....

Irace82 05-01-2009 04:36 AM

One more question about buying a prop. Do i need to take the prop off and determine how many splines there are or should it be universal for a set type of outdrive? And also when i order one does a hub come with it to match it?

mikeyt 05-01-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace82 (Post 13855)
One more question about buying a prop. Do i need to take the prop off and determine how many splines there are or should it be universal for a set type of outdrive? And also when i order one does a hub come with it to match it?

It depends.....some places sell the hub kit as part of the prop package & some places separate the two. If you look at the i-boats site, they tell you what hub kit you need for each prop and application.

cleah 05-04-2009 10:02 PM

Hi,

I have a 1993 2350Z with Merc 7.4 and Bavo 1, but unusaul outdrive lower with oil drain hole behind prop/ It had a 4 blade 15.25" dia 15" pitch prop. The max rpm is quoted at 4800 for the engine, but it will easily exceed this if I let it. Does this mean I need to go to higher pitch? I am relatively new to baits and am learning as I go. I forgot to mention that the boat also has the switchable option for through transom exhaust. Any advice is welcome. I guess I should also mention that I am in Utah and the altitude where we sail is usually around 5000 ft.

Clive

z275st 05-04-2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleah (Post 13951)
Hi,

I guess I should also mention that I am in Utah and the altitude where we sail is usually around 5000 ft.

Clive

Yes, that makes a big difference. My boat was from CO where it had a 19"p prop. Here in IL I use a 23" You may also have a 1:1.65 gear ratio also. It does sound like your under pitched on that prop, a 17"- 19" may work but in hot humid weather you may need to switch back to the lower pitch.