The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Gas tank leak (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/1776-gas-tank-leak.html)

syc92868 09-29-2008 08:20 PM

Gas tank leak

I have a 1997 mariah shabah 210 Z and it has a leaking gas tank! I was thinking of pulling up the carpet and opening up the deck to remove the tank and install a plastic one. Is there a full size access panel already cut out? Has anyone heard of or used a tank bladder? Just trying to get some ideas before i get into it. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks for all your help
Beau

Z 202 09-29-2008 10:49 PM

Don't know about the 97, but on my '95 there is an access hatch in th floor just forward of the engine compartment. On mine you have to flip over the back seat to reveal it. Not sure how easy it would be to remove it though.

WetWilly 09-30-2008 10:02 AM

Hi syc92868,

Are you sure it's the tank leaking or could it be the filler or vent tubes where they attach to the tank or even the sender gasket?

WetWilly

blockp 09-30-2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetWilly (Post 10543)
Hi syc92868,

Are you sure it's the tank leaking or could it be the filler or vent tubes where they attach to the tank or even the sender gasket?

WetWilly

To Willy's point: Read this thread. Post 8 talks about a screw through the filler tube. Granted you're talking about a 97 vs a 94, but still worth checking.

WetWilly 09-30-2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blockp (Post 10545)
To Willy's point: Read this thread. Post 8 talks about a screw through the filler tube. Granted you're talking about a 97 vs a 94, but still worth checking.

Great find blockp!

syc92868, removing the tank is really a last resort, of course, if you have no choice then so be it. We are hoping you're able to locate the leak and repair it without having to perform any kind of "surgery" on your Mariah.

Getting access to the tank isn't extremely hard, but it is laborious. If you want a quick overview of what it will involve, take a look at these two threads: Click here and here.

(Special thanks to Bill Deweese and Rick for their excellent posts!)

Good luck,
WetWilly

Tom 10-01-2008 11:20 PM

Gas leak

I also had a gas leak on our 94 Talari and found that there was a small crack at the bottom of the neck from where the gas fill hose attaches to the tank. I patched it to finish out the season and have since bought a new tank from Kracor. It's an exact replacement so it should go in easily. It cost $ 400. I will have to cut the carpet and take off the access plywood. I plan on putting some metal strips to cover the cuts or possibly teak strips. It won't be a pristine fix, but alot less work and money over removing the carpeting and reinstalling it. I may do this in the next couple of weeks and if I do, I'll take pix and post them if I can figure that out!

syc92868 10-05-2008 04:58 AM

Thanks everyone for responding. It sounds like a lot of work if I have to replace the fuel tank. I don't want to mess up my boat. I'll let my boat air out over this weekend..a little damp from being covered the last couple of months.. then will take a second look. Hopefully its an easy fix.

Thanks alot!

WetWilly 10-05-2008 05:03 AM

Hope so too syc92868!

Definitely post what you find!

Good luck,
WetWilly

capitan357 10-06-2008 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syc92868 (Post 10530)
I have a 1997 mariah shabah 210 Z and it has a leaking gas tank! I was thinking of pulling up the carpet and opening up the deck to remove the tank and install a plastic one. Is there a full size access panel already cut out? Has anyone heard of or used a tank bladder? Just trying to get some ideas before i get into it. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks for all your help
Beau

i have a 1994 talari 3.0L, i also had a fuel tank leak. i found that on the floor just in front of the flip forward rear acess cover there is another acess area under the carpet that will allow you to get to the tank filler area. after i removed the entire
rear acess cover, ( just 4 screws on 2 hinges) i found that i could remove 4 screws on the floor holding down chrome trim strips. after removing those screws
that small section of floor and carpeting would lift up. i found that the screws
holding the chrome down were either too long or the
wieght of being stepped on had pushed them down and one had pierced the fuel
tank! it was a big relief and an easy fix! good luck!
capitan357.

stlawerance 06-07-2013 03:17 AM

Re: Gas tank leak

I just purchased a used 95 Talari 190 and the first time I filled it up at a gas station on land I later arrived at my destination and found a least 1/2 a gallon of gas in the engin comparment. I thought it was from over filling, after rinsing it all out and taking it for my 1st ride I cked and found no gas in the engin compartment. A few days later I filled it again and the same thing happend. Long story short as long as I didn't fill the tank all the way (under 3/4) I had no leak. I am thinking after seeing your posting I might be having the same problem.