The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Gas tank leak (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/1776-gas-tank-leak.html)

Tom 06-07-2013 11:01 AM

Re: Gas tank leak

It sounds like the issue I had with the neck of the gas tank having a small crack. When it wasn't filled it didn't leak much if any. The gas moves to the rear of the tank upon acceleration and leaks. I replaced the tank as seen in an earlier post and of course it hasn't leaked since.

stlawerance 06-07-2013 09:21 PM

Tom
Did you say you had pictures, I am new to the site and learning how to navigate. Also, what did you use for the temp patch, if I do have the same issue I will probably do the same to get me through the 2 wks I will be using the boat.

Tom 06-07-2013 09:58 PM

I did have pictures but lost them when I switched phones. A marine guy used something to patch it but he said he's technically not supposed to do it. It was a red substance and worked fine. The replacement was really easy by unscrewing the plywood that covers the tank after making two cuts in the carpet from front to back where the plywood seam is. You roll the carpet toward the front and put stainless strips over the cuts so they're not visible. I covered the new plywood piece with fiberglass resin to protect it before you glue the carpet to the new marine plywood. If you have questions you can call me at 616-886-8904.

stlawerance 06-08-2013 12:48 AM

Tom
Thank you very much for the info, I live just outside Chicago and go back home (upstate NY) to the St Lawerance river every summer for a couple of wks. I keep my boat up there, we are planning to go end of July, so for now I have a friend looking into the leak. Your info will be very helpful and hopefully he can find and fix the leak for me before I arrive. If we have any more questions I'll take you up on your offer. Again, thanks....

StevieT 06-08-2013 02:53 PM

I just had to reseal my fuel tank guage from the top of the tank with a new Moellor gasket from a local boat store. $ 8.00.
I was getting a lot of gas fumes in the cabin area from the leak that occurred only when I topped off the tank. I used white pipe sealant ( for petrolem ) on the threads and also used water faucet rubber washers to help seal the heads of the scews which has fixed the problem.
The KISS program always applies when working on mechanical issues, (Keep It Simple Stupid) ! 90% of the problem is caused by 10% of parts.Additional time spent identifying what's really going on is always a sound investment of your time.!

Tom 06-08-2013 08:49 PM

If it is a simple leak like that it is much easier to correct. The other thing to try is 3M 5200. It will stick to anything and seal anything but make sure you don't want to remove what you e seed as that can prove very interesting!

stlawerance 06-11-2013 02:29 AM

Thanks, Tom I couldn't agree more.....And it's a cheap fix, that's the best thing!!!!

stlawerance 06-11-2013 02:30 AM

Thanks Steve, I hope it's that easy. that would be great.

stlawerance 07-01-2013 09:12 PM

Well guys, we found the problem. The stem (not sure if vent or fill) is leaking at the base on top side of tank, I am thinking of just patching it for the 2 wks I will be using the boat and later replace the tank. I will look into this 3m product, does anyone know of any other material that can be used for a patch?

ColoradoDiablo 07-01-2013 09:35 PM

Use the 3M 5200.
It is the easiest to use and the best sealing properties available in my opinion.
It is impervious to chemicals once dried , including gas.:)
Just make sure you get it good and clean and have at least 48 to 72 hrs to cure.