The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Boat goes to sleep Sunday (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/1722-boat-goes-sleep-sunday.html)

180diablo 09-18-2008 04:01 AM

Boat goes to sleep Sunday

Well, as much as I would like to continue the season one more week, I keep on hearing reports of frost and heavy frost around the area of my cottage during the nights.

So we all know what the means... :(

I hope the engine and parts are holding up to the cold without them being protected. I will be taking it out for a good run Sat and Sunday hopefully.

Anything I should look into prior to starting? Hoses of course for any potential cracks.

Mark 09-18-2008 05:13 AM

Sad To Say That I Took Mine Out OF THE WATER Last Monday.:( I Had A Great Summer On It.also I Am So Glad That I Painted The Hull Took The Hose And That Was Just About All The Clean Up I Needed On The Hull. I Will Post Some Pics That Paint Is Great Stuff.so This Weekend I WILL Put A Coat Of Wax On Her And She Will Be Done For Winter. So Sad

ShabahZ280 09-18-2008 01:54 PM

Yep, the time is quickly approaching for all of us. I'm going to try and prolong my season as much as possible, but temps are dropping, and after Hurricane Ike's remnants tore through the Ohio Valley, there's an incredible amount of drift in the water. Hopefully that'll clear up and I'll get a few more chances to enjoy what's left of the season.

180diablo, I'd just check the hoses, and make sure to take it easy on the throttle until she comes up to temperature. Unless your local water temps are into the 40's, you shouldn't have any issues.

Mark-I'd be interested to see your pics of the painted hull. Still debating that myself.

180diablo 09-18-2008 03:41 PM

Thanks Chris,

Yeah no idea on the water temps. I know it wont be swimming weather.

If I had to sum up the boating season of 2008.... wet, expensive and lacking.

Wet because of rain. Expensive because of new starter ($3-400) and a carb rebuild ($6-700) and winter storage (under $500).. eep. Lacking due to other commitments during the summer and my girlfriend (Diablo180) working every weekend.

Did I enjoy the time I was allowed to be on the boat... oh hell ya. Always a highlight of my summer.

I have promised to take my mom out for a "lock through" before the season is done with. So I think I will reserve that for Sunday. Since it looks like I will be going mountain biking up north Saturday with some people in a local mountain bike club I just joined.... :wink_thumbup:

For anyone in the area, look up on Facebook or Google..... Buckwallow Cycling Centre.

:D

300sflyer 09-18-2008 04:42 PM

I hope to get out in mine one last time this weekend too. Its suppose to be a nice weekend weather wise here in southern Ontario.:wink_thumbup: I might even try the water skis one more time.:yes_grin:

For those who are worried about cold temperatures causing damage, boats that remain in the water, do not have a problem due to the warming effect of the reletively warm lakes.

However, if your boat is out of the water, a "trouble light" with a 60 watt light bulb put under the engine in the bilge, will generate a fair amount of heat which will protect your I/O engine on those cool nights! ;) Be sure to lower the drive to allow the water to drain out of it too.

aquaknot 09-18-2008 07:36 PM

I'll be on the Trent all day Sat. One more trip for wings and beer. I'll be adding fuel conditioner tomorrow and remove the GPS, VHF and take out the bow seats for repair on Sunday. She comes out next weekend. Oh well, snowmobile season is around the corner. It sure was a wet summer!!!!!

indykoch 09-18-2008 07:51 PM

I know I won't be as lucky this year... but last year, I picked the boat up from the marina (before he had winterized it and stuck it in storage) 2 days before Thanksgiving!!! We had a rare 65°F day (central Indiana) and decided to go one last time. I'll never forget that night - we played Christmas music in Cocktail Cove while a lady was putting Christmas lights around some shrubs outside her house. We had sweatshirts, coats, etc. and it really wasn't that bad. A great way to close the year in style!!!

Z 202 09-18-2008 08:19 PM

Mine is still parked in my driveway. Looks good there though. :)

I haven't yet decided exactly when it's going into storage. Probably sometime in the next couple of weeks :(

Hope to get out this weekend. For me the question is: Ontario, Huron or Georgian Bay? Decisions, decisions...

300sflyer 09-18-2008 08:21 PM

I'm headed to Lake Simcoe. :wink_thumbup:

180diablo 09-23-2008 01:06 PM

What a fun weekend it turned out to be!

Met up with a friend of mine and went Mountain biking up in Gravenhurst (as mentioned in earlier post). Got back for about 1pm range, chilled out. Went out for a run in the boat for about an hour before dinner (5pm) Saturday. Nice sunset to enjoy. I kind of liked being on the water in early evening.

Sunday morning was the impending doom of storage. Drove it up to the north end of the lake around 10am. All the while having fun steering hard to port, hard to starboard and back again. Very few boaters to worry about, so I had the lake to myself basically.

I REALLY love how that lil boat handles with just me in there. It rests better on the surface and seems like it corners harder with the reduced weight of another person in the boat.

I do have photos of the new style emblems on my boat!! But the scum on the bottom wrecks the photos..ick. So I will get around to updating that How To post.. sometime soon.

:D