Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Trim tabs: Pneumatic vs. Hydraulic & Manual vs. Automatic

Original Mariah Talk

Old 09-05-2008, 04:13 AM   #1

Soaussie is currently offline
Location: Salem Oregon USA originally from South Melbourne Victoria Australia
Find me on the Map
My Model: 1998 Talari Z211 Limited Edition? 454 7.4L Chevy
Gallery Images: 4

Send Soaussie:
a Private Message

Default Trim tabs: Pneumatic vs. Hydraulic & Manual vs. Automatic

This is an offshoot of a discussion started back in July by indydoch (aka: Ryan) about some issues with his boat listing heavily. My 1998 209 Talari seems to have similar problems. After reading Ryan's thread I like what was said about the advantages of the Smart Tabs that have been used by some of the Mariah owners. My problem is that my mechanic seems the think the Smart Tabs may a little inadequate for my boat. My mechanic has suggested the Bennett trim tabs. Since I don't know who is giving me the better information I thought I would give a shout out to the Club.

I also did a little snooping on the internet and both Nauticus and Bennett lay out good arguments for their own products. In a addition, Bennett has a computerized automatic version.

From what I have read I think trim tabs will help with planing earlier and at lower speeds. I have a 7.4L 454 chev and the boat is a little slow coming out of the hole and I would like to see over the bow a little better at slower speeds.

Aside from cost, what should I be concerned with?
It sounds like Nauticus is a good company to deal with. What about Bennett?
How much of a hassle is it to manually adjust trim tabs?
What am I overlooking?

Bruce
  • Old 09-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #2

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Well, you'll obviously gain more control over your boat with the Bennett tabs. However, to keep the boat riding right, you'll constantly be fiddling with the switches, which takes some getting used to. Especially since they are wired opposite the way you would normally think. It definitely takes some getting used to! If you add the automatic control, this will help, but it comes at a price. To properly fit your boat with trim tabs and auto control, you're most likely looking at over $750 in parts alone, not counting labor. Add to the fact there will be two 3/8" holes through your boat under the waterline for the hydraulic hoses. If they're not properly sealed, that could be a nightmare. So make sure you have full trust and confidence in the mechanic doing the work.

Lenco makes electric trim tabs that eliminate the whole hydraulic pump & hoses part, but many people seem to have concerns about the reliability. Many boat manufacturers (Inluding Sea Fox Mariah) are equipping new boats with them, so I have a hard time believing everyone's concerns. They move much faster than hydraulic tabs, require smaller installation holes, don't require a pump, and cost a little less than Bennetts. If I decide to add tabs, this is what I'll install.

SmartTabs are nice in the way they require no adjustment while driving. They go on easy, are affordable, and I haven't really heard any legitimate complaints from anyone. People with smaller boats seem to love them. For a boat your size, smarttabs would be perfect. Once you cross the 23-24' mark, I'd think more about hydraulic or electric tabs.

Ultimately, the choice is yours. However remember, you could always remove the smart tabs if you didn't like them and add Hydraulic or Electrics. But personally, I think you'd benefit from Smart Tabs! The best thing to do is read people's experiences, especially boats around your size, and we've got lots of people who run them here. You can read the reviews on this site, everyone seems to love them!
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 09-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #3

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

I think Chris (admin) has his response right on the money. It sounds like your mechanic is in need of some extra work / profits. The Smart tabs with the 80# actuators should work fine on your boat but i might consider the S.S. ones rather than the composite ones just because of the weight in your arse. (from that big 7.4L of course!).
    You can send an email to John (owner) on the Nauticus website & provide him with your particulars (length, engine, boat weight and possibly a pic of the transom area) and he will advise you on which Smart tabs would be best suited to your particular boat.

If you decide on going with the Lenco or Bennetts, i think i would go for the Lenco's for the same reasons Chris noted.
    Old 09-08-2008, 03:48 PM   #4

indykoch is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z212 Shabah
    My Engine: 350 Magnum Alpha One
    Gallery Images: 18

Send indykoch:
    a Private Message

Chris and Mikey are exactly correct - I couldn't agree more.

The only thing Smart Tabs can't do would be correcting a list to one side due to passengers/gear. Smart Tabs don't have the manual adjustability like trim tabs, but they're a fraction of the price!

Trim tabs are better but need experience to fine tune them, Smart Tabs are great for the price and can be totally left alone. All depends on how deep your pockets are and if you want manual control or not.
    Currently - '07 Ebbtide 2600 CBR
    Old 09-09-2008, 12:19 AM   #5

Find me on the Map

Send Soaussie:
    a Private Message

Default Thanks guys

I want to thank all of you, Chris, Mikey, and Ryan. Your comments have been extremely helpful. I have sent an email query to Nauticus with a description of my boat and all I am doing is waiting for a reply regarding their recommendations on size of Smart Tabs.
    Thanks now lets go boating,
    Bruce
    Old 04-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #6

stecoleco is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1997
    My Model: 216 PC talari
    My Engine: 350 chv
    Gallery Images: 0

Send stecoleco:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Trim tabs: Pneumatic vs. Hydraulic & Manual vs. Automatic

so did you go with the smart tabs? did you like them?
    Old 05-01-2009, 02:41 AM   #7

Jayhawk04 is currently offline
    My Model: 1993 Diablo 4.3l Alpha I

Send Jayhawk04:
    a Private Message

I've had both Smart Tabs and hydraulic... I started out with the Smart Tabs... They worked great, but we wakeboard and they wash the wake out too much. I had the composite ones and I ripped them off doing 50 across some rough stuff. John at Nauticus was great to work with and he sent me all new replacement parts at no charge. He told me that they have had problems with some hulls causing the composite SX tabs to rip off, so he sent me some tabs that had the fins on the bottom cut off.

I decided that since I didn't want the wake washed out that I needed real hydraulic tabs, so I got some Boat Leveler tabs (Insta Trim) off eBay for 300 and I could not be more pleased. When boarding I put the tabs all the way up for a good wake and when cruising I can adjust the tabs down for the conditions. They work great when you have an uneven load... just put one tab down a little more than the other and you are set.

I would go with the SS Smart Tabs for sure if you are not concerned with your ability to wakeboard or control your pitch on the fly... If you regularly have uneven loads, you light benefit from adjustable tabs.
    Old 05-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #8

Vacation Dave is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: 1995 Z220 Talari 7.4L Bravo I
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo I

Send Vacation Dave:
    a Private Message

Exclamation Re: Trim tabs: Pneumatic vs. Hydraulic & Manual vs. Automatic

Bruce

If you are willing to spend the money and want a better ride, I would recommend the hydraulic trim tabs. I selected Bennett after reading a lot of blogs Electric VS hydraulic. I learned Bennett has a great customer service department, customer support, and warranty track record!

These are suppose to be do it yourself in 45 minutes, but that never happens and I didn't want to make a mistake and have any extra holes in my gel coat.

I had them installed by an experienced marine mechanic that really knows what he's doing. It took until this year because another marina told me he couldn't do it because there wasn't enough room due to my swim platform design.

I got A GREAT PRICE at Anchor Express and purchased the Bennett sport trim tabs in 2008 after several years of research. After taking with Bennett customer service I purchased the sport dual ram tabs because I do about 60 MPH. You really need the the extra cylinders with the 7.4 L.

SKU Name Qty Each Sub total Total
    ST12 BENNETT ST12 12 X 12 Sport Tab System 1 $584.99 $584.99 $584.99
    Order Summary
    Product cost $584.99
    $584.99
    Product Tax $0.00
    Shipping $9.99
    Handling $0.00
    Total Charge $594.98

Anchor Express
    Customer Service
    [email protected]
    (866)888-2624

I didn't want always be working the adjust so I also purchased the Bennett Auto controller. See Bennett for full product details. Again, GREAT PRICE this time from BoatFix.com.

Once the auto controller is programmed and set you never have to make any adjustments to the trim tabs. What's nice is you can always take the auto controller off and use manual adjustment when needed.

Keep in mind you need to remember to retract the tabs before pulling into the shorestation lift or trailer so you don't break them off when in the down position.

Order

Qty Part No Name Options Price Total
    1 BENAC3000 AUTO TAB CONTROL BENNETT MARINE, INC.: $258.10 $258.10
    Sub Total: $258.10
    Shipping Type: UPS Ground (Continental US Only)
    Shipping: $11.26
    Tax (NJ Only): $0.00
    Total: $269.36

from BoatFix.com

I have yet to use them since I had this done recently. I can't wait !

Dave
    Old 05-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #9

Find me on the Map

Send Soaussie:
    a Private Message

Dave,
    This looks good. I will be taking this to my marine mechanic and talk it over with him. I guess I need to know if it will work with my swim platform too.
    Thanks,
    Bruce
    Old 06-03-2009, 04:38 AM   #10

Vacation Dave is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: 1995 Z220 Talari 7.4L Bravo I
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo I

Send Vacation Dave:
    a Private Message

Bruce,

I took my boat out for the first time and programmed the auto trim.

Once on plane without adjusting the trim on the outdrive (left it all the way down)

I manually adjusted the trim tabs. I programmed the auto trim and then adjusted my outdrive trim. I never had to manually adjust the trim tabs once programmed.

It was great ride. I could see the tabs being automatically adjusted by the lights on the auto trim. The boat never listed, never dipped, and stayed on top of the waves. I never had to manually adjust the trim tabs once programmed. What an improvement!

I had a exhaust water leak spraying in my bilge and all over the engine through a hose. Looked like a loose hose clamp. I never had a chance to try wake boarding or tubing at lower speeds with the trim tabs. Without the tabs I need to do about 22 MPH to stay on plane. It was also too cold.

Good luck with the tabs. You can take a picture of your swim platform from underneath and send it into Bennett and see what they say about the fit. If it fit my swim platform I would guess they will fit yours.

Dave