The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Quick Silver Shifter (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/1657-quick-silver-shifter.html)

dmg5606 09-01-2008 01:53 AM

Quick Silver Shifter

Took my boat out today and the trim button on the throttle wouldn't work. It was working fine at the house (out of the water) but once we got to the lake it wouldn't trim up but it would go down.:mad: Has anyone ever had this problem with a quick silver shifter?

BTW I seen some pretty Mariah's out there today on Lake Ouachita! :wink_thumbup:

bdbyrnes 09-01-2008 04:10 AM

Yep. mine went out a few weeks ago.... many of the units from the mid-90's are under recall for precisely that reason.

I am installing my new throttle control unit tomorrow, I will let you know how it goes.

WetWilly 09-01-2008 08:43 AM

Hi dmg5606,

Sounds like the water on the gimbal sensor..... I was wondering if you have a separate "trailer" button on your Quicksilver and if you do, check to see if the "up" trim button is still inoperative and if it's still out, see if the "trailer" buttom makes the outdrive go up. If that works, your wring to the trim limit sensor or the sensor itself is bad (on the gimbal).

As the Commander 3000 is a middle of the road unit (I have been told this by many shops), if you are having any throttle or shifting issues with it, I recomend installing a different one like the Teleflex ch1700 unit. The recall on the controllers involved Commander 3000 controller built between June 1, 1994 to September 1, 1995 that do not have a "RKFW" decal. It was due to a failure of an improperly hardened gear in the control mechanism.

Here is the recall notice: Click here

Good luck and let us know what you find,
WetWilly

dmg5606 09-02-2008 10:57 PM

WetWilly,

The trailer trim button is working, it's only my trim "up" button on the throttle that's not working. Should I try to locate the sensor or should the Quick Silver be replaced? I will check and see if it's in the recall notice, let me know what you think. Thanks for all the help! You too bdbyrnes, let me know if it works better.

WetWilly 09-03-2008 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmg5606 (Post 10015)
WetWilly,

The trailer trim button is working, it's only my trim "up" button on the throttle that's not working. Should I try to locate the sensor or should the Quick Silver be replaced? I will check and see if it's in the recall notice, let me know what you think. Thanks for all the help! You too bdbyrnes, let me know if it works better.

Hi dmg5606,

As I said in my first post, it's not the controller and it is definitely not due to the recall. the recall was a gear issue, not the electrics and was from years 94 to 95. Yours is a 96 Mariah like mine.

Now, as I said, your issue in probably in "your wring to the trim limit sensor or the sensor itself is bad (on the gimbal)." The Trailer tilt switch works because it bypasses the Trim Limit Sensor which is only used for the "up" trim. On my Sea Ray, it was the wiring to the starboard side gimbal sensor (that's the trim limit switch) at the inside of the transom that was completely corroded through. The gimbal sensors are pre-wired and normally sold as a set and replaced together. Per the manual, replacing the sensors require removal of the outdrive.

Unless your proficient in tracing wiring issues, outdrive removal and performing the proper Trim Switch adjustments, I would referrer this matter over to a Merc service person.

Good luck,
WetWilly

ewcjoro 09-10-2008 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetWilly (Post 9990)
Hi dmg5606,

As the Commander 3000 is a middle of the road unit (I have been told this by many shops), if you are having any throttle or shifting issues with it, I recomend installing a different one like the Teleflex ch1700 unit. The recall on the controllers involved Commander 3000 controller built between June 1, 1994 to September 1, 1995 that do not have a "RKFW" decal. It was due to a failure of an improperly hardened gear in the control mechanism.

Do you know if the control cables would need to be replaced as well?

ewcjoro 09-10-2008 05:16 AM

Found the answer to my own question!

CH1700 controls are suitable for use both universal (3300 type) or OEM type control cables without adaptation.

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/cgi-bi...s&product=1062

Will be ordering one of these tonight!

WetWilly 09-10-2008 08:58 PM

That's great ewcjoro!

Keep us abreast of the progress and if you have any pictures, please post them.

If you need any assistance with the pictures, just PM me!

Good luck,
WetWilly

Fred 06-14-2012 11:49 PM

Re: Quick Silver Shifter

HI wetwilly
I have a 1998 Mariah Shabbah which need the control replacement.I noticed you have reccommended Teleflex 1700. I look it up and found many 1700 s models. If I want one with the trim up?down and trailer, which one you recommend? Thanks Fred

thagno 06-15-2012 04:08 AM

Re: Quick Silver Shifter

i guess that your throttle really need some replacing now maybe it was already in use for too long and i reckon that it does have to be changed after sometime especially if you are using an old model everything has some breakdown point so it is best that you have a new one installed also this will be able to maintain your boat's optimal usage and life