Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Total Catastrophe

Original Mariah Talk

Old 08-29-2008, 03:07 AM   #1

Jason_Smith008 is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Model: 1994 Z270 Barchetta 8.2L Bravo I
Gallery Images: 34

Send Jason_Smith008:
a Private Message

Angry Total Catastrophe

Okay guys, I have enjoyed all the great information that I have received on this site and have worked very hard over the last week to get my new 1994 Barchetta Z272 ready for the lake this Labor Day weekend. From your great support on this site, I found out that that I may have one of the first ones made. I have researched the literature available on this great site. I have spent countless hours over the last week installing radios, and generally getting this well built boat ready for a great Labor Day Weekend with my family. I sold a 20' Glastron to buy this boat. I have had for the past 5 years and am amazed in the difference in the construction of the two boats. I finished up the boat and had it completely ready for the lake for the holiday. I purchased a new trailer for the boat and took a friend to a local navigational channel to switch out trailers and test run the boat with a friend. Proudly we headed down the Arkansas River. I was impressed with the way it handled and drove. It was a proud moment right up to the time smoke started bellowing out of the engine compartment. The good news is I installed a fire extinguisher the day before and insured the boat prior to heading to the water. The damage is limited to the out drive and the motor as I put out the oil fire before any structural damage. It was Gods hand that instinctively had me running the motor with the dual motor hatch doors in the up position to “hear” the motor and make sure there were no leaks. Otherwise by the time I saw the smoke it would have been way to late for anything but bailing out and watching it burn. I’m still in the dark to the cause of the fire. I test ran it on the garden hose rabbit ears for a bit and the temperature gauge did not get over 175 degrees then or when I was running it down the River so who knows what caused it. A lot will happen over the next few days and weeks but with all hope the boat will have a new motor and be ready for the lake next season. I guess I could name the Boat "Drama" because at this point "no" can't be put in front of it. I know there are several blessings in this but sitting here at this time with my dream boat in ruins they are not as clear as I know they should be. I'm sorry that I don't have a bunch of pre disaster pics as I planned on taking them when I got back today but I will keep you posted as the weeks and months go by. I'm sure like a Phoenix my Barchetta will arise from the ashes renewed and better than ever before, who knows, it may have to get a 502 or even an 8.1, I am from Stillwater, OK you know, surely I can pull some strings with some guys at Mercury Marine…. I hope all of your Labor Days go better than mine… Jas
  • Old 08-29-2008, 04:34 AM   #2

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Hi Jason,

I won't go into what could have happened, it's a moot point. What's important is of course, everyone is safe and I have the utmost confidence you will resurrect your Barchetta better than before!

If there is anything we can do to assist, you know we're just a few keystrokes away!

Best of luck,
    WetWilly

P.S. if you don't mind the price of gas I would take a serious look at the 502CI (8.2L), it's a little bigger than the 8.1L (494CI - 1 cubic inch = 0.016387064 liters)
    Old 08-29-2008, 12:03 PM   #3

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Ouch, sorry to hear man, but at least you're safe!! And on the bright side, at least it didn't damage any of the non-replaceable parts made by Mariah.

With you being in Stillwater, I wouldn't hesitate to take your boat over to Mercury Marine and see what kind of options they could recommend. You may be able to replace with a newer 6.2 or even a 496, which supposedly are more economical on gas.

Keep us updated!
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 09-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #4

Find me on the Map

Send Jason_Smith008:
    a Private Message

Default things are looking up

Well, the damage has been assessed and it was not as bad as i originally thought. Looks like I’m going to get a way with a rebuild on the lower unit some exhaust work and a lot of labor. Progressive Insurance came through like a champ and I should be back on the water to enjoy the last few weekends of warm weather. The boat should be ready in a week or so and it was upgraded with Silent Choice exhaust and possible a better intake (if I can find one). All and all the crappiest thing about it was the Labor Day weekend loss. My wife reminded me she has not been on the boat in the water yet so that has added to the pressure of getting it done asap. You know when mom is happy everyone is happy and the reverse is also true... Does anyone know if Mercruiser used square port heads in their 7.4L that year? My friend in Stillwater says yes but he has been wrong before. I was thinking of a torquer style intake maybe an Edelbrock Performer or the like. I know a high rise will kill my lower end and I need that down there as this is a whole lot of boat to push out of the water.... Thanks, Jas
    Old 09-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #5

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Hi Jason,

Glad to hear you're on the fast track to getting back on the water!

I would try contacting some Marine Performance engine builder shops and even Edelbrock before I add a street manifold to your boat motor. Boats and cars are two different beasts!

But just for the sake of argument, and assuming there aren't any brackets attached to your original manifold that need to match up to the new one and the thermostat housings mounts are the same I would choose the standard Edelbrock Performer over the Torker. The Performer is a low-rise dual plane intake, good from Idle to 5500 RPM. Torker is a low rise single plane, good between 3500 - 7500 RPM.

Good luck and let us know what you find out,
    WetWilly

Last edited by WetWilly; 09-10-2008 at 10:16 PM.
    Old 11-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #6

Find me on the Map

Send Jason_Smith008:
    a Private Message

Talking Almost there

Ok, after two months of fighting with Progressive insurance on a roller coaster ride of emotion, they have finally agreed to fix my boat. It seems they had issue with the fact that the water pump went out and wanted me to agree to pay to have everything rebuilt if that was in fact the cause of the fire. I fought and fought with them and finally agreed to have the motor torn apart to investigate further. The water pump was melted indicating that a water stoppage had occurred therefor making it a covered event and not a "routine maintenance issue". They then went into an investigation trying to see if I had started the boat out of the water causing the damage; please. They didn't seem to be interested in the Police Officer and Firefighter witnesses I had that the boat was running fine at the ramp before the fire but all in all they decided to pay. Good thing too because once we got the motor in pieces it was learned that the heads and block were both cracked. So ends the 454 7.4 liter motor originally placed in the boat from Mariah. Through a little horse trading, I am putting an 8.2 liter 502 back in its place. I was hoping to get into the new multiport fuel injection model but was unable to pull that string so I got a same year as the boat 502 instead, completely rebuilt of course. The 272 Barchetta needed the extra hp and if gas prices will continue to stay low all will be well. We are sitting at $1.92 a gallon here in Tulsa, OK. How many of you think it will stay there past Tues.? Not me, anyway, I am having the 502 placed in there as we speak and am adding a little silent choice to the mix. All and all I should be back on the water in time for spring but suspect I will be making some cold weather runs just because. I will get some pics out as soon as I can get them of the progress.
    Old 11-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #7

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Glad to hear things turned out in your favor! That 272 should run great with the 502 powerplant in there.

Keep us updated with the progress!
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 11-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #8

jmills224 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 1997 179SE Talari 4.3LX Gen+/Alpha1 Gen II
    Gallery Images: 4

Send jmills224:
    a Private Message

Glad you are on the right track now. It's too bad I didn't see this a little sooner. I might have been able to help you out a little since I'm in Stillwater. A new kid and archery season have kept me pretty much tied up.

PM me sometime. I would like to check out your 272

~J