The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Throttle issue (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/13697-throttle-issue.html)

Jerry Keane 05-17-2021 04:21 AM

Throttle issue

1992? original Quicksilver Throttle. It will go from neutral into forward and reverse without compressing the handle release. Engine won't turn over. Can I assume neutral locking pin is broken? and if so is it repairable?

mikeyt 05-17-2021 09:55 PM

Re: Throttle issue

2 Attachment(s)
Yes and Yes.

Jerry Keane 05-17-2021 10:31 PM

Thanks Mikeyt for the reply. My throttle is not the 3000. I found diagram for the throttle mechanism but not for inside the "box" housing to see how the neutral pin is configured.

mikeyt 05-18-2021 01:11 AM

Sorry, that's the only documentation they have on this site. You could always try one of the other larger boating forums such as 'iboats' and someone there may have a diagram/photo of your throttle assembly.

wgoeden 03-22-2022 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Keane (Post 68629)
Thanks Mikeyt for the reply. My throttle is not the 3000. I found diagram for the throttle mechanism but not for inside the "box" housing to see how the neutral pin is configured.

Were you ever able to find the part or a diagram for this issue?

I am also having the same issue but my throttle control is a side mount Volvo Penta and I am unable to find a parts diagram or part numbers related to this controller.

I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks!

Hudson River Steve 03-23-2022 01:19 PM

I have never worked on a volvo penta shifter however it looks very similar to the Merc design which I have had the "pleasure" of working on. On my Merc control I need to remove the black plastic pushbutton by prying it out with a screw driver. This will damage the pushbutton so you will need to replace it. Once out you can free up the mechanism using some WD40 and then replace the button. I had to do this a couple of times throughout the years.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

wgoeden 03-23-2022 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudson River Steve (Post 69670)
I have never worked on a volvo penta shifter however it looks very similar to the Merc design which I have had the "pleasure" of working on. On my Merc control I need to remove the black plastic pushbutton by prying it out with a screw driver. This will damage the pushbutton so you will need to replace it. Once out you can free up the mechanism using some WD40 and then replace the button. I had to do this a couple of times throughout the years.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

When you say to pry out the black push button, I have an exterior white nylon button that passes through a hollow bolt and there is a black plastic button inside. Is that the black pushbutton you are referring to? I took it apart yesterday and stopped as it looked like there is no way to open it up to get to the black push button and what is behind it. I was thinking I would have to replace the entire controller and possibly the control cables. As I have no part numbers on anything I wouldn't know where to find the black plastic button or even a complete controller.

If you have any part numbers or a source where you got your button I would appreciate it.

Hudson River Steve 03-23-2022 02:00 PM

Again, I was referring to a Mercruiser control. On the Mrec control, the black pushbutton has a rather long shaft that passes through a hollow bolt with a plastic barb on the end of it. It was easier for me to pry it out, breaking the plastic barb on the end and then lubricate and replace the plastic button. I do not recall where I sourced the replacement plastic button. I wonder if the Volvo Penta control is made by Morse...just a thought.

wgoeden 03-23-2022 02:09 PM

Thank you!