The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Trim won’t go up while underway (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/12890-trim-won-t-go-up-while-underway.html)

Shabah z252 06-21-2020 01:11 PM

Trim won’t go up while underway

I have a 97 Shabah z252 with a mercruser 5.7lx and a bravo 3 out drive. The trim up function works while idling and in gear but not under any real load. If I’m crushing even at around 1500 rpms, I can’t trim up. If I slow down to idle speed while in forward gear it goes up. Any and all advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hudson River Steve 06-21-2020 07:40 PM

Re: Trim won’t go up while underway

My guess is you have a wonky trim limit switch on your outdrive.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Shabah z252 06-21-2020 10:48 PM

I thought about that being the issue but it won't go up if I hit the trailer button either. Would that also effect the trailer button?

Hudson River Steve 06-21-2020 10:56 PM

No, the trailer button over rides the trim limit switch. Sounds like you have a bad up solenoid.

Shabah z252 06-21-2020 11:01 PM

I changed that over the winter because the trim was only working sometimes. It ended up being the plug. Could it be the pump is not putting out enough to trim up under load? Thanks for your responses.
On another note, had the porcelain blow out of one of the plugs at W.O.T today. Good times

Hudson River Steve 06-21-2020 11:50 PM

If the pump runs it should have more than enough power to trim out the outdrive. Maybe it is a wiring issue inside the throttle/shifter, only when the throttle is advanced a number of degrees. Try with the engine off, pushing the throttle only button and advance the throttle to various positions while checking the trim operation.

Haven't heard of a plug failing like that in years.

Shabah z252 06-21-2020 11:57 PM

Thanks, I'll try that. I plan on giving it a tune up this week. I was going to wait until winter but now it will be Wednesday.
After the plug failed, I noticed some hot water dripping from around the area. Any idea where the water could have come from. I bought the boat last spring and am pretty unfamiliar with the marine engine as of now.
Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks

Hudson River Steve 06-22-2020 12:04 AM

Hopefully the hot water dripping is from a poorly sealed drain plug on the exhaust manifold. It wasn't coming from the cylinder or the head gasket.

Shabah z252 06-22-2020 12:08 AM

It seemed to be above the spark plug hole more towards the exhaust manifold. It was always dry before that happened so I hope no major damage was done. I guess I'll find out Wednesday when I lokk at it. Thanks for all your replys, I appreciate it

CJ Construction 06-22-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudson River Steve (Post 67132)
No, the trailer button over rides the trim limit switch. Sounds like you have a bad up solenoid.

(Not trying to hijack) My trim switch only works in the down direction. The trailer button works to raise, so that's what I have to use. Would the above also likely apply to my situation?