Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Trailer suggestions for 202 Shabah

Original Mariah Talk

Old 05-16-2020, 09:01 PM   #1

Cappy is currently offline
My Year: 1994
My Model: Shabah
My Engine: Mercruiser 4.3LX
Gallery Images: 0

Send Cappy:
a Private Message

Default Trailer suggestions for 202 Shabah

I have a 1994 202 Shabah 19' 10"

The boat is in great condition and the engine was completely rebuilt this winter. The trailer, however, is pretty rickety.

Any suggestions on the type of trailer I should get and where? I am thinking one with some type of braking system and maybe a 2 axle trailer or would that be overkill? Had 2 blow outs driving the boat home after purchase last year and never want that experience again.

I read that a trailer that is rated for a heavier boat than what one has will result in a bumpy ride so I need one that fits the boat properly.

We will be doing lots of towing and I want to upgrade from the white knuckle experience that the current 25 year old trailer provides.

Would love something in the $4000 range.

Thoughts?
  • Old 05-17-2020, 02:06 AM   #2

mmendenhall is currently offline
    My Year: 1998
    My Model: Shabah 202
    My Engine: 5.0 MerCruiser

Send mmendenhall:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Trailer suggestions for 202 Shabah

What kind of trailer did it come with? Was it the original Prestige trailer or something else?

My 1998 Shabah 202 came with the original Prestige 2 axle trailer and it rides perfect. I would certainly recommend something similar if you can find it.
    Old 05-17-2020, 03:06 PM   #3

jarwiebe is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z210 Shabah
    My Engine: 5.7 LX Alpha I
    Gallery Images: 2

Send jarwiebe:
    a Private Message

I have a Shorelander 5,000 lb GVWR tandem axle and it handles like a charm.

Had a flat on one of the tires one time while towing with a F150, and never noticed a thing until a passerby pulled up beside me and point to my trailer indicating I had a problem. The tire was shredded but no damage to the rim.

I have since installed a tire pressure monitoring system to warn me if a tire goes low.

Jake

1996 Z210 Shabah
    Mercruiser 5.7LX
    Alpha One Drive
    80 Lb. SX Smart Tabs
    Thank you jarwiebe for this useful post!
    Cappy (05-18-2020)
    Old 05-17-2020, 03:34 PM   #4

Send Cappy:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmendenhall View Post
    What kind of trailer did it come with? Was it the original Prestige trailer or something else?

My 1998 Shabah 202 came with the original Prestige 2 axle trailer and it rides perfect. I would certainly recommend something similar if you can find it.
    It is a Prestige single axle trailer. Lots of bouncing, feels like the boat and trailer will pop off at anytime. It probably is safe but still provides a white knuckle experience.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
    I have a Shorelander 5,000 lb GVWR tandem axle and it handles like a charm.

Had a flat on one of the tires one time while towing with a F150, and never noticed a thing until a passerby pulled up beside me and point to my trailer indicating I had a problem. The tire was shredded but no damage to the rim.

I have since installed a tire pressure monitoring system to warn me if a tire goes low.
    Do you have a 202 Shabah on that trailer? The 202 Shabah is no where near 5000 lbs so I would think it does not have the weight to hold a trailer rated for a 5000 lb boat to the ground.

I do like the dual axle option for the reason you stated above. Trying to jack up a boat trailer safely with a car jack is next to impossible. My only thought is they may not make a properly fitted dual axle trailers for this lighter weight, small boat.
    Old 05-17-2020, 03:54 PM   #5

Find me on the Map

Send jarwiebe:
    a Private Message

Mine is a Z210 and loaded with a full tank of gas I scale at 4,400 lbs.

Jake

1996 Z210 Shabah
    Mercruiser 5.7LX
    Alpha One Drive
    80 Lb. SX Smart Tabs
    Old 05-17-2020, 05:48 PM   #6

Send Cappy:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
    Mine is a Z210 and loaded with a full tank of gas I scale at 4,400 lbs.
    I imagine the smaller 202 would be closer to 3000 lbs which would be too light for your trailer. I guess I'll need to go to some marina's that sell trailers. Online, the boat trailer companies only have brochureware web pages with find a dealer and no hint of pricing.

Any idea what the price range a small dual axle that fits the 202 would be? $3000? $5000?
    Old 05-17-2020, 07:18 PM   #7

Find me on the Map

Send jarwiebe:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
    I imagine the smaller 202 would be closer to 3000 lbs which would be too light for your trailer. I guess I'll need to go to some marina's that sell trailers. Online, the boat trailer companies only have brochureware web pages with find a dealer and no hint of pricing.

Any idea what the price range a small dual axle that fits the 202 would be? $3000? $5000?
    I bought my boat and trailer as a package in 2011 and have never checked out trailer prices so can't help there.

Just to clarify, I scale at 4,400 lbs, that is trailer, boat, fuel and contents. My trailer is just over 900 lbs itself.
    Cappy likes this.

Jake

1996 Z210 Shabah
    Mercruiser 5.7LX
    Alpha One Drive
    80 Lb. SX Smart Tabs
    Old 05-17-2020, 10:00 PM   #8

TN_Diablo is currently offline
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 180 Diablo
    My Engine: 3.0 Mercruiser

Send TN_Diablo:
    a Private Message

If you are willing to spend a little extra then go for an aluminum salt water trailer with torsion axle(s). I purchased mine from Loadmaster about 20 years ago and I love it. No rust, no maintenance except brakes and still looks mostly like new. You would measure your bunks and everything on the old trailer and they get it really close but it is all adjustable to get just right. My trailer could be adjusted to fit your boat I'm sure. Also I really like the longer tongue than the Prestige had which makes it pull and back much better. I imagine they still use private party capable of dropping a trailer depending where you are for not a great amount extra. I had a deal with the dealer when I got my boat that the trailer was just on loan until I got a trailer with brakes. We used to tow it with a Dodge Caravan and it was night and day (Prestige vs Loadmaster).

Mine has surge brakes and they have worked fine but need to keep the master cylinder dry which I cover to keep rain out. Electric was an option I know. Mine is single axle but tandem would really be better for lots of miles and POM. Another recommendation I have is to use Goodyear Endurance tires, not the older Marathon. I got good service from the first set of Marathon and never had a failure but my spare (also Marathon) separated. The new Endurance appears to be a much better tire and maybe the best rated trailer tire out there. So I have Endurance on the trailer and a cheapo $50 Chinese spare which I hope to never need. Mine are a full load range up from what I need so you must adjust the inflation pressure to your actual weight rather than max inflation pressure. There is a lot of poor advice and practice on proper inflation pressures for trailer tires and generally it is NOT the max inflation pressure on the tire sidewall. Anyway when I do that it gives a really smooth ride. Our Pilot (08) pulls our boat on the x-way and until you find a hill or big bump you don't notice it's back there.

My trailer was closer to $2500 but that was long time back. I hope you don't get sticker shock if you price one today. They don't have all the integrated features and clever design of some steel bass boat rrailers I've seen but I still think the best all around in design and service.

It's worth a few phone calls to find out. I'll post a picture if you like.
    Cappy likes this.

Last edited by TN_Diablo; 05-17-2020 at 10:11 PM.
    Thank you TN_Diablo for this useful post!
    Cappy (05-18-2020)
    Old 05-18-2020, 08:54 PM   #9

Send Cappy:
    a Private Message

Called the local Marina where my boat is at. The sell Yacht Club trailers. They have a dual axle with braking that they say fits the boat for $3000. I do like that it is under my $4000 range.

I will look at one when I pick up the boat and if I like will order one.