Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Z308 Do Over

Original Mariah Talk

Old 05-24-2019, 01:41 AM   #1

Bruce B is currently offline
My Year: 2000
My Model: Z308
My Engine: 2 ea 5.7 Alpha Gen 2s
Gallery Images: 0

Send Bruce B:
a Private Message

Default Z308 Do Over

Well the 19 Year old was due for some changes and major maintenance. Thought I'd share what I've done in case any other 308 owners want or care about the how's or whys. But first I wanted to let all know that my "Good Chi" is still the second love of my life ( wife and kids being first). She's powerful, smooth in the water and still a head turner after all theses years. Anyway, recently I pulled both engines, intermediates and transom plates fora leaking transom seal and tiller arm seal replacements. I was impressed that the transom cutouts had been sealed very well during the build and after 19 years, no transom deterioration at all. To get the motors out, both the water tank and holding tank had to come out. I've had an irritating slow leak in one of the plumbing lines so I pulled and replaced all the old pex with new and eliminated all the inaccessible fittings. A few years ago I had a larger stainless steel holding tank made to accommodate our longer stays away from the marinas. I also took out the air-conditioner as it was pretty useless unless you are plugged in at a slip (We don't boat that way). Again, unless plugged in, the Ice maker was useless went bye bye. I now have a great storage compartment under the deck sink. The other major renovation was having a custom swim platform added. It added us another 3ft off the stern. Large enough that we can put a couple of beach chairs on it and enjoy the scenery or set a large cooler. I did change the transom shower to use lake water with the motors to make it warm instead of using all our fresh water. We still can use fresh water in the cabin shower. Minor other mods were changing out all the bulbs to LED's, putting shelves under the galley sink and in the hanger closet, adding led lighting to the cabin and under cabinets in the galley and under the new swim platform, installing a larger head, adding another house battery, upgraded the battery charger, removed the TV from the cabin, modifying the the windlass system that I can control from the anchor locker , adding a washdown shower with quick connects aft and running a line to the anchor locker, changed out the stereos on the helm and cabin, added a Lorrance MF chart plotter with NEMA backbone to support fuel flow sensors, trim tab indicators and radar ( radar is probably coming out as I don't use it) and that's about all except having the seat cushions redone. Bottom line is that there is a whole bunch that can be done to these boats. For me it's a hobby worth every minute that we enjoy on the water. If you have any questions let me know. I'd be happy to share my successes and my goofs. Sorry, got a little long winded!!
MB z308 likes this.
  • Old 05-24-2019, 06:43 PM   #2

achodgin is currently offline
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z302 Shabah
    My Engine: 502 MAG MPI BRAVO 3

Send achodgin:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Z308 Do Over

I'm about to drive 7 hours to Kentucky tonight to look at buying a 99' Z302 with a 502 Mag.... Mag is 3 yrs old, outdrive and transom part is 2 years old. Other than the back seat the boat seems beautiful. Any advise on things to look for? Maybe certain things to watch for before I buy?
    Old 05-24-2019, 09:08 PM   #3

Bruce B is currently offline
    My Year: 2000
    My Engine: 2 ea 5.7 Alpha Gen 2s

Send Bruce B:
    a Private Message

I'd look for the obvious i.e. changes in gelcoat ( damage repair, oxidation can it be brought back?), keel wear (did they beach on the keel or come off the aft), check the plumbing (does it hold pressure) check the head (does it flush) check the electrical (do all the switches work, blowers lights, bilge pumps), Not sure if the 302 has a gen set, if so make sure it works. On my windlass the factory wire was gauged too small for the the windlass ( underload, check to see how it reacts). I assume you will do a sea trial so check all your thru hulls and sea cocks. Check trim tabs and trim motor. Check all your canvas and isinglass. The 308s are a bit heavy aft, not sure about the 302 so check if you are comfortable with the dead rise coming out of the hole. One last thing I'd look at, if you are planning on sleeping on the boat be sure it can accommodate you. If that all checks out for you, I think you will love the Mariah!! Great Boats
    Old 03-01-2021, 02:55 PM   #4

aaron5643 is currently offline
    My Year: 2001
    My Engine: 7.4L Mecruiser
    Gallery Images: 1

Send aaron5643:
    a Private Message

Wow. Amazing, nice work.
    I've just bought a Mariah Z308 - the 7.4LMercruiser model - 2001, completely refurbishing it soon and installing a lot of new things. Runs 55 knots at the moment.

Including, an electronic winch for the anchor - they're building a fibre glass support across the anchor compartment to build the winch onto; new throttle; new battery and alternator so when the engine is off I can run the sockets and other systems of that without worrying about draining the engine battery; new showers on the swim deck and heads; new Wabasto automatic/timer/manual heating system is going into the swim deck compartment, this will also heat the water tank allowing for hot water; new navigation screen; flexi teak decking for the deck; 6 speaker fusion sound system and 1500W fusion subwoofer; new VHF radio; underwater lights; replace refrigerator downstairs and another fridge for the upstairs (we are struggling to find a fridge to fit into that space where the ice box is - not sure what we're going to do with that yet - maybe use it for storage as you have); replace single with a double hob; change all lights to multicoloured LED's as you have; sun beds for the foredeck; and they're building in a bow thruster which will make moving the boat about the marina a lot easier; also redoing all seals on the boat hatches and windows as they have all perished and are leaking in; and a new back plate at the sterndrive as there is a small leak at the moment.

I am intrigued as to what you have done with the swim deck. Are you able to show some photos of the swim dick? The more photos the better. Also, what did you do to get indicators on the 2 trim tabs? Can I see your console?

Here are some photos of Daytona at the moment (getting a name change to 'Crypto'). Had a marine grade wrap get put on as well as new a sterndrive and things like that re-done + new canopy and seats.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xV3vHhkUHupjdpDH6