The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Help with power sundeck/motor lid (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/1176-help-power-sundeck-motor-lid.html)

jasfiveo 05-26-2008 03:18 PM

Help with power sundeck/motor lid

I recently bought a 1994 220Z Talari and wanted to know if there is a manual switch to the power sundeck/motor cover. It crossed my mind if my battery died how would I get the deck up to access the battery for a jump? I did a search and could not find anything so sorry if this is a repeat.

moondance100 05-26-2008 04:03 PM

I had this happen to me. Get the screwgun and start taking the back seat apart! For my money they could take these electric hatches and stick em where the sun don't shine!

I had mine out yesterday, raised the hatch and it dawned on me if I ever had an engine fire, that thing would burn to the keel before I could get the hatch up and put it out...

jasfiveo 05-26-2008 04:11 PM

Has anyone rigged a way to manually open and close the lid besides unbolting it from the arms and just letting it sit there? If my battery dies its not going to be a good day.

z275st 05-26-2008 07:52 PM

The base of the shaft has a 6” slot that should allow you to raise the deck enough to reach in and pull the pin at the top of the shaft. I have a storage compartment on the deck that has a small port on the bottom I can open and reach in and pull the pins if needed.

RodMorris-Kirby 05-27-2008 06:42 AM

Re sundeck electric hatches

Hi,
During the winter lay-up I had battery failure and wondered how I would get to the battery to re-charge / change it. Well the electric hatches fitted to my 218SC "2001" vintage will allow the hatch to be pulled up enough for access to the battery switch and bring the second battery into action, or to pull forward the entire seat.
As for fire access, I notice there is a small window at the base of the storage box below the rear seat which doubles as an extinguisher port. If the motor room did go up the automatic extinguisher should operate or it could be assisted via this port.
Regards
Rod

WetWilly 05-27-2008 10:18 AM

Hi jasfiveo,

Thanks for trying to search for earlier posts!

We were talking about just this issue back in January. I think it has just what your looking for (see the second post): Click here

RodMorris-Kirby's got a good point, automatic fire extinguisher system mounted in the engine compartment would be a good idea.

We talked about that too in the above link and the small window at the base of the storage box below the rear seat in this one: Click here

WetWilly

jasfiveo 05-27-2008 05:20 PM

Thanks for the info and links!

mark keough 07-12-2008 07:22 PM

sundeck problem with batteries dead

:rolling_laugh:thank you so much people...what great responses.
I contacted the people who work on my boat and they told me :

if the batteries are dead and you want to open the deck lid...it takes two people.
one persons lifts up on the front lip of the deck...it will go up about 4 inches.
the other person takes a wrench and where the rod pushes the top up, there is a pin that has to be unbolted and the deck breaks loose from the the rod.
jumper box or battery charger and you are on your way.

perko switch...use it.

95Z212 07-12-2008 11:15 PM

I always leave my hatch up a little bit, so it isn't putting a good amount of force on the seat's, and then if the battery dies, i just pull my back seats forward. My bench seat has hinges on it so I just tilt it foward, then put it back, and go! Might be able to get pictures tomarow or some night this week (have to bring the boat home from the lift with the canopy for some TLC, and painting the live well for a beer cooler:yes_grin:
95Z212

indykoch 07-13-2008 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark keough (Post 8758)
there is a pin that has to be unbolted and the deck breaks loose from the the rod.

Mine has a spring loaded pin that can be pulled out without tools and without the second person.