Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Help! Newbie Looking at a 1997 Mariah Z 255 Z255 Shabah

Original Mariah Talk

Old 05-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #1

zrt8001050 is currently offline
Gallery Images: 0

Send zrt8001050:
a Private Message

Default Help! Newbie Looking at a 1997 Mariah Z 255 Z255 Shabah

I have a wife and 3 little ones. We are looking for a boat that can handle the rough water of the big lakes but yet also play around on some of the small ones. Also want something fast but something we can spend an occasional night on if need be. (not asking for much eh

I am looking hard at a 1997 Mariah Z 255 Z255 Shabah. 150 hours. Looks like a beautiful boat.

Can anyone help with some info on if this is a good boat for us? I can pick it up for around 19k. I don't want to get "beat up" in the rough water of Lake Erie.

Was this a good year for these boats? I have been looking at Baja's etc. What kind of speed will this get (454 Mag)..Was this year built well? Is that cuddy roomy at all?

Thanks!
  • Old 05-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #2

aquaknot is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: z222 shabah
    My Engine: 7.4l EFI-Bravo 1
    Gallery Images: 5

Send aquaknot:
    a Private Message

I have a 99 Z222, she rode out an ugly storm going across Lake Simcoe with no problem at all (thankfully we have a GPS). She's powered with the 7.4L EFI and has great speed for a vessel of her weight (55-65 depending on conditions). If you find a Mariah in good condition don't hesitate, purchase her ASAP and enjoy the lake, even if it needs a few repairs, you won't regret it. My wife, two boys and I enjoy every minute on board. Good luck.
    1995 pontoon 18 ft, 50hp mercruiser
    198? aluminum 14ft, 6.6hp fisherman
    Old 05-22-2008, 01:12 PM   #3

Send zrt8001050:
    a Private Message

Thanks for the info...I had never really looked at one (I have been looking at Baja's, Formula's, etc...but this seems like it could be a decent "crossover" (speedboat/cruiser)

We don't have to be 100% comfortable down below, just looking for something decent sized to stay on a night here and there.

Thank you again
    Old 05-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #4

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

You'll appreciate the comfort and design of a Mariah much more than a Baja or a Formula if you're going to stay overnight on it. They're also "Equipped like no other boat in the world". However if you're looking for top speed and high performance, stick with your original choices. Mariah's aren't speedboats, their performance numbers come in a bit lower, due to a slightly heavier weight, but you make up for it with being so well equipped and comfortable.
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 05-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #5

Send zrt8001050:
    a Private Message

Thanks Chris-

I am not looking for 60 mph just something that isn't going to top out at 35-40?

Is this a good year for that boat? Is that cuddy roomy at all? (3 little kids, wife and myself) again we aren't going to live on it just want to be able to crash on it once and a while...Also what about the rough water? We get some pretty big chop (especially if I take it on Lake St. Clair in Mich) it can get real snotty real quick...It doesn't have tabs either which is a bit of a concern but I can throw a set on if need be.

Lastly- what do you think of that price? 19-20k is what I could get it for. Does come with matching trailer.

Thanks
    Old 05-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #6

aquaknot is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: z222 shabah
    My Engine: 7.4l EFI-Bravo 1
    Gallery Images: 5

Send aquaknot:
    a Private Message

As usual shabahz250 is correct. If you're looking for a go fast boat (above 60mph) look at the, Formulas etc. You'll get the same engine and drive unit in the Mariah, but a lot more features, comfort (with the Z), and a very deep and safe v-hull. I was also originally looking at a formula, until I went for a run in a friends 98 222, I was hooked and had to find my own. My Mariah is a luxury touring sedan on water.
    1995 pontoon 18 ft, 50hp mercruiser
    198? aluminum 14ft, 6.6hp fisherman
    Old 05-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #7

indykoch is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z212 Shabah
    My Engine: 350 Magnum Alpha One
    Gallery Images: 18

Send indykoch:
    a Private Message

You'll definitely see speed above 35-40... my guess would be about 50. All years were good years for Mariah! '97 is no exception - right in the heart of their operating years. I'm not familiar with that size so I can't comment on it. As for price, I think that's a tad high, but again can't comment as I don't know details. How many hours, condition, etc? As I'm sure you've heard... it's more about what's it worth to you? That's not an unfair price, so if you like it, go for it! Good luck and keep us posted!
    Currently - '07 Ebbtide 2600 CBR
    Old 05-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #8

Send zrt8001050:
    a Private Message

Thanks Ryan,

Here is a description:

Boat has 177 hours on it. The engine is a 454 mag mpi with a merc outdrive and a Mirage plus prop 21p. It has been stored indoors and yearly winterized and checked out at the marina,The boat also has a full cover (not shown in pics) Inside features are,Power seat ,power hatch,xm radio,one year old $1200.00 GPS with all bodies of water in it(garmin gps 192-c)Leather seating that is in mint condition ! Surround sound throughout ,TV in the cabin,Sink in the cabin,sun cover. The Matching trailer is a 1998 Prestige Mariah 255 Pearl M1068.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #9

Z 202 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Mariah Shabah 202
    My Engine: 5.7L Alpha 1
    Gallery Images: 6

Send Z 202:
    a Private Message

These are very good rough water boats. I've had mine out on Georgian Bay and Lake Ontario in some mighty big swells and have always felt perfectly safe. The deep cockpit is ideal for boating with smaller children.

My Shabah is using what the hybrids are saving!
    Old 05-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #10

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

I'm assuming this is the boat, as it matches your description perfectly.
    Ebay Z255

It's a nice boat, but for his asking price, you could probably land a newer Z-series in the 23-25ft range. Possibly with a few extra options, like pop-up cleats, thru-hull exhaust, trim tabs, transom shower, microwave, and a few others...

The interior upholstery material in the later year models is much more comfortable and appealing to the eye. And I'm not sure if yours has this material or not, I know the 96 models had fabric interior. It's a little bit hard to tell from the pics and the pattern. The late model interior is absolutely the most comfortable material I've ever sat & slept on, and I've been on boats upwards of a million dollars. With the filler cushions, it's large enough to sleep two adults with plenty of room, and if you have children, they could probably sleep in there as well. My girlfriend and I have slept in there with our luggage, portapotti and still had plenty of room.

I'll throw out my $.02, just as a loyal Mariah owner with a good eye.
    First off, where's the front navigation light? It's completely missing from the pics I saw. There looks to possibly be side lights, which I have never seen on this size boat before. Perhaps it's an exported model that made its way back into the US? I'll look into CG regulations on side markers and update you when I find something... The Powerlight electric anchor light appears like something is wrong with it as it won't go completely down. The radio antenna has been replaced with a cheap "rubber ducky" antenna, (Mariah's OEM antenna was a powered model) The $1200 GPS, well, it's not a huge selling point for me. It's a discontinued model, and it's mounted dead center in the dashboard, blocking the OEM gauges and thus kind of ruining the whole lines of it.

Performance-wise My Z250 Shabah with the standard 7.4L MPI (310HP) tops out around 52mph. The 454 Mag has 385HP if I remember correctly, so I'd assume the top speed would be around 57mph (figuring 15hp per MPH-standard calculation) I've had my boat on Lake Erie a few times, and it performs really well, however I've been looking into a set of trim tabs for better control with the swells at lower speeds. But if you weren't aware, Mariah offered a Lifetime Hull Warranty, so there should be NO doubt in your mind about the strength and structural integrity of the hull. It'll take anything Lake Erie could throw at it. Just keep your charts handy and watch out for shoals.

Ultimately the choice is completely yours. This Z255 is a nice boat, and if you could get it for around 19k, go for it!!

Otherwise, if you're not in a huge hurry and are willing to wait, you could find an even better deal. One of our members on here just grabbed a 2001 Z278 Shabah with a 496 Mag with extremely low hours for $16k. All it needed was a trailer and a good wax job. He came to the board, presented the specs on the boat, and began asking us all questions. We all helped him make the final decision and I even drove from Cincinnati to Baltimore to pick it up for him! That should show you how loyal and helpful we can all be.
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification