The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   302 Shabah: Anyone know this boat? What to look for during inspection? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/11425-302-shabah-anyone-know-boat-what-look-during-inspection.html)

StormChaser404 05-05-2017 02:50 PM

302 Shabah: Anyone know this boat? What to look for during inspection?

Hi all,

Possible new 302 Shabah owner here. I have fallen in love with the design. Anyone here know this boat? Going to look at her this weekend. She needs some TLC, and hasn't been in the water in several years. Are there any things specific to the 302 that I need to check for? Any weak points or failure prone stuff? Of course I'll have a full survey and separate engine/drive survey if I was to make an offer.

2000 Mariah 302 Shabah Mid Cabin bow rider Power Boat For Sale

TIA,

Dave

MTH 05-05-2017 04:57 PM

Re: 302 Shabah: Anyone know this boat? What to look for during inspection?

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormChaser404 (Post 62067)
Hi all,

Possible new 302 Shabah owner here. I have fallen in love with the design. Anyone here know this boat? Going to look at her this weekend. She needs some TLC, and hasn't been in the water in several years. Are there any things specific to the 302 that I need to check for? Any weak points or failure prone stuff? Of course I'll have a full survey and separate engine/drive survey if I was to make an offer.

2000 Mariah 302 Shabah Mid Cabin bow rider Power Boat For Sale

TIA,

Dave

I would test drive it for a while and see if you find any issues. It would make me curious as to why the pictures are two years old, may need some upholstery work now?

I will say that is the most desirable floor plan in my opinion, I hope to have one eventually! Good luck with it.

StormChaser404 05-05-2017 11:33 PM

[QUOTE=MTH;62071 It would make me curious as to why the pictures are two years old, may need some upholstery work now?[/QUOTE]

In pics, it looks like the rear-most seam on the sun pad is pulling, but otherwise it's ok. Pics are two years old because she has been on the market that long. She clearly been stored dry her whole life, no bottom paint. The owner got sick, stopped boating, and she's sat. Fingers crossed!

Just didn't know if there were any areas I should specifically look at on these. I've owned boats from a 10' 3-point hydroplane, to a Hatteras 53MY, hoping this is the one for me.

cp55 05-07-2017 10:09 PM

I have a 2000 z302 and love it.. I have done a lot of maintenance and really have not found anything that is a red flag to me.. It is built awesome..

Motoxxx43 05-09-2017 08:43 PM

I really like the 302s. Very usable vessel. The issues I see with that particular boat:
No trailer. That could be expensive. I refurbished my existing trailer and barely managed to stay under 2k. I looked for replacement trailers and they were easily in the 4k range.

A 350mag in a boat that heavy is less than ideal. Depending on what you really want to do with that boat you may be wanting a bit more motor.

It appears to be a salt water boat. Just my assumption after seeing all that rust. Regardless of where it was stored it shows corrosion. If you can see it from these photos it is safe to bet there is corrosion throughout the vessel. Im talking about electrical components(stereo to controls), steering, trim components, bilge, any fastener made of metal (including upholstery staples), seals/weather strip, and the stuff that gets expensive fast like anything with the Mercruiser name on it.

Whos to say anything will go wrong with a salty boat? I would not take a 20k gamble on it but for the right price you may have a great boat to work with.

StormChaser404 05-10-2017 12:05 AM

Thanks! Yep, she's been a trailer queen but on salt water her whole life. So corrosion could be an issue. I say just a bit on the drive where the stainless prop meets the aluminum. That worries me a bit.

But, overall it's clear she was very well cared for until the owner got sick and stopped boating back in 2012. I have no need for a trailer, so if it came with one, I'd sell it. She' going to either live on a lift or get bottom paint and live in the water. If we decide to make an offer, she will get a full survey, and a separate engine/drive survey from a factory trained Mecruiser tech.

GaryDoug 05-11-2017 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormChaser404 (Post 62121)
She' going to either live on a lift or get bottom paint and live in the water. .

No. no. no. You cant leave this boat in the water in Chesapeake Bay. The outdrive will corrode to pieces in no time. A lift would be ok though.

StormChaser404 05-11-2017 02:24 PM

Bravo III drives are fine in salt if properly maintained and set up. Dual working Mercathodes, sacrificial anodes on both the hull and drive, appropriate antifouling paint for aluminum, and a properly working bonding system and there should b no problems.

GaryDoug 05-11-2017 02:32 PM

When I was shopping for my boat, I consulted with many boat dealers and mechanics in my area and they all said the same thing: DO NOT leave any I/O in the water here. Most of them stood to lose a sale by telling me that. They pointed out that if I looked around I would see NO I/O's being kept in the water and they were right. There were none.

StormChaser404 05-11-2017 02:34 PM

Well then, perhaps this isn't the boat for me. There's a very good chance I will not be able to find a lift for rent and it will have to be kept wet.