Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Anyone else use the LMS-160 Lowrance?

Original Mariah Talk

Old 05-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #1

Z275 is currently offline
Find me on the Map
Gallery Images: 15

Send Z275:
a Private Message

Default Anyone else use the LMS-160 Lowrance?

Gotta question on the LMS-160 Lowrance GPS that Mariah used in most of their larger 2000-2001 boats. Mis4tun81 has the same one and we were trying to figure out if there should be more detail on the maps.
For example if I look at the base installed map for somewhere like Dale Hollow, TN it shows no water detail when you zoom in. So I loaded the correct map into their MapCreate software and uploaded it to the GPS. Now when I zoom in I see the same thing. No depth contours, no marina markings, nothing but the water outline. Are these just horrible maps or am I missing something? I have the detail level turned all the way up and checked all other settings. I mean even my $150 Garmin Legend from years ago would show water contours and other water features for lakes when using the mapping software.
  • Old 05-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #2

z275st is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 2001 Z275st 496HO Bravo1
    Gallery Images: 33

Send z275st:
    a Private Message

Jason,

I now have MapCreate 7 for my LMS-332c it has depth contours made by lines in shades of blue and is not very easy to read. I was hoping for water area color to change to correspond with depth. I don’t think they did depth contours until MapCreate 6 version. I had a lot of trouble losing satellite signal last year. I mounted the receiver over the right dash cup holder ( the old one is glued in place and won’t remove). I just got a upgrade at Lowrance and hoping it will fix this. I feel Lowrance is not the best GPS out there but it fits the dash without modification! If you would like I can try to send a pic of map where you boat so you can see if you like the mapping.
    Old 05-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #3

Find me on the Map

Send Z275:
    a Private Message

ok, I guess that answers my question. I'll probably stick with it for this season and look at upgrading next year.
    Old 05-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #4

mis4tun81 is currently offline
    Gallery Images: 0

Send mis4tun81:
    a Private Message

I have convinced myself that an upgrade will be necessary, When? your guess is as good as mine.

Now for a threadjack...

Not sure how many other 2001 Z275 owners there are here, but it supprised me to see we are all very distinctly powered.

I must be about the base, with the 7.4l MPI Bravo three

Z275 with the 7.4 GSi thats a volvo right, duo prop or single? I'm not volvo saavy

and z275st with the 496HO bravo 1

are either of you repowered? or were there that many options in '01? Maybe i'm repowered...

Also I have played a bit with top speed, and see just under 50mph at 4200 RPM fully fueled. When I get comfortable with the boat, I figure I should just be able to break 50 maybe hit 51 if the conditions are perfect.

Where are you guys at and what do you think?
    Old 05-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #5

Find me on the Map

Send Z275:
    a Private Message

Yeah there were many options for power on the Z275. It is surprising they produced so many options in that one model year.
    Mine is the original engine. It's Volvo's performance version of the 454 (7.4l). I think it gave you around 70 more hp than the standard 454MPI. Same basic engine as the Merc 454 Magnum with some minor differences here and there. The main difference between Volvo and Merc is their outdrives. Mine uses the DP-S dual prop which is similar in operation to Merc's Bravo III but many say the DP-S is a little beefier and shifts much smoother. I've never driven a boat with a newer Bravo III so I don't know if that's true or not.
    I haven't had mine out enough yet to know the true top speed but I did have it into the low/mid 50's on GPS with 2 people, 2 dogs, and 3/4 tank of gas (90+ gal).
    Old 05-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #6

z275st is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 2001 Z275st 496HO Bravo1
    Gallery Images: 33

Send z275st:
    a Private Message

Mis4tun81,
    Mine is also the original power plant. Mariah made most boats to order so you see a large variance in each model. It seems to me that your rpms sound low. I think the range on the 454 MPI is 4200-4600. If you were running with a full tank and a couple people it will drop even more with gear and a larger crew. This may labor your engine. A buddy of mine had a Z272 454 mag and bravo three with 28” pitch. The hole shot was OK but not great for skiers. He switched to 26” pitch rev’s increased top end the same (56mph) but hole shot force increased tremendously. You will want to test at different speeds and loads before you chance anything first. But the prop is the greatest and least expensive (cough) thing you can change to effect performance. I had to change due to altitude differences of were I bought my boat! I deal with Bret at BBlades.com he has a test prop program. It cost $17 to have a prop shipped to you an the same to ship back but you know how it runs before you buy! I hit mid 50s, got a prop over the winter and hope to top out at about 57mph with light load.
    Old 05-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #7

mis4tun81 is currently offline

Send mis4tun81:
    a Private Message

Thank you both for the feedback

I agree 4200 is loading the engine a bit too much and you are correct, the range is 4200-4600. But just like you suggested, I'm going to wait till I burn off some of the fuel load, its still way to early to pass judgement.

My Z275 has 26" pitch props on it already, and Since yor buddies mag has about 70 more HP than I do, I think I'm probably set up about right.

I'll definitly check in with Bret if I'm looking to make any changes, the test program sounds like a great deal.
    Old 10-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #8

Offshoreracer1 is currently offline
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: Z250 Shabah
    My Engine: 7.4 Bravo III

Send Offshoreracer1:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Anyone else use the LMS-160 Lowrance?

Still have that old Lowrance LMS -160 Map ? I am looking for spare parts ! The Z252 I bought came with a 160, but without a PC cable, or AC power adapter. If you still have it and want to sell it, let me know. Thanks, Randall.