The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Paddle Wheel Location With Smart Tabs (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/10410-paddle-wheel-location-smart-tabs.html)

tdmaker 08-06-2015 01:30 AM

Paddle Wheel Location With Smart Tabs

So I purchased a set of SX Smart Tabs to put on my '98 Z221. I've already run into a snag, the small paddle wheel sensor is mounted right where I need to mount the left Smart Tab. So I'm going to have to move it. Should I move it in towards the center of the boat or outwards further from the center? Or does it matter? And on a side note, does anyone know what the heck it does?

Paul F 08-06-2015 02:00 AM

Re: Paddle Wheel Location With Smart Tabs

I've read the further out the better.

Motoxxx43 08-06-2015 02:04 PM

Paddle wheel is for the trip meter. Suppose to give you an idea of distance traveled. I mounted mine towards the center of hull- not the best idea. The hydraulic lines for the trim rams knock it off where its is located on my boat now. I need to mount it farther out but I'm tired of pulling holes in the transom. Maybe this winter I fix it and take the boat to the fiberglass guy and have him clean up the holes properly.

tdmaker 08-08-2015 02:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So I decided to move it in. The wires wouldn't be long enough to move it to the outside, plus it would have made the Smart Tabs move inward more. I'm off to the lake this morning so I'll find out today if it was the right move or not.

TN_Diablo 08-10-2015 11:09 PM

You will like the Smart Tabs but you probably shouldn't have put them on upside down :).

I probably wouldn't worry much about the location of the paddle wheel if it still reads something. Do you really pay attention to it anyway?

Repairing holes, cracks, minor things is pretty easy. You could fill the hole first with fiberglass resin I suppose but I would just use a gel-coat repair kit. I used this once for some minor hull damage and you can hardly tell (if you can tell) where the repair is. Mix, fill area, cover with plastic sheet until set, sand smooth and polish. Much easier than bodywork on a car.

Firestone 06-02-2016 03:25 PM

How did the trim tabs work out? I just bought a Z202 with planing plate and wonder if I should switch over to the Smart tabs?

tdmaker 06-02-2016 07:52 PM

The Smart Tabs work as advertised. I was skeptical at first, but they surpassed my expectations. I highly recommend them.

Firestone 06-07-2016 05:23 PM

Did you end up using the 60# or 80#? What size did you use 9.5" or 10.5"? Thanks for the pictures! About how far off of the outside edge did you end up installing the smart tabs?