Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Low RPM

Original Mariah Talk

Old 06-22-2015, 02:40 PM   #1

Glen is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1994
My Model: Don't know just bought
My Engine: 4.3 Mercruiser
Gallery Images: 0

Send Glen:
a Private Message

Cool Low RPM

I just took my 'new' 1994 182 Barchetta with 4.3 mercruiser for its first run. It ran great but I could not get it above 4,200RPM/43mph WOT. The engine is only 2 years old and has a SE 106 bottom end and 4 blade prop with the designation 1013. Does anyone know if that is the right prop or have any other suggestions as to why it won't go above 4,200RPM?
  • Old 06-23-2015, 06:09 PM   #2

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Low RPM

Max RPM on the 4.3 is listed from 4400-4800. 4 blades aren't meant for top speed, they're more for holeshot and steady cruising. 3 blades are meant for top speed. You may be able to swap to a 3 blade and get the extra RPM's you're looking for.

Although 4200 RPM and 43MPH is still traveling at a pretty good clip, I'd be happy with that!
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Thank you ShabahZ280 for this useful post!
    Glen (06-24-2015)
    Old 06-24-2015, 03:46 AM   #3

Find me on the Map

Send Glen:
    a Private Message

Smile Re: Low RPM

Thanks for that info. It makes me feel more comfortable that there may not be an actual problem. Any idea what 3 blade prop would be appropriate for this boat should I decide to make the change?
    Old 06-24-2015, 04:33 PM   #4

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

I personally have no idea, but check in our "Prop Talk" forum, and post your question there. We've got a lot of prop gurus should that be able to help!

Prop Talk - The Mariah Owners Club
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Thank you ShabahZ280 for this useful post!
    Glen (06-24-2015)
    Old 07-02-2015, 02:38 AM   #5

TN_Diablo is currently offline
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 180 Diablo
    My Engine: 3.0 Mercruiser

Send TN_Diablo:
    a Private Message

Where was your motor trimmed to? If not about 1/2 way up you probably won't see top speed and max engine rpm.
    Thank you TN_Diablo for this useful post!
    Glen (07-02-2015)
    Old 07-02-2015, 03:49 AM   #6

Find me on the Map

Send Glen:
    a Private Message

I had the trim at 1/2. Tried it a bit above and below that but got best performance at 1/2. I read on line that too much engine oil could cause this problem. The oil level was well above the full mark on the dip stick so I removed enough oil to get it down to full. I then took it for a short run and got it up to 4,600 RPM & 45 MPH. Thought I had found the problem, however, after that I removed all the oil and got 4 1/4 litres (about 4 1/4 quarts) including the amount I had previously removed. I believe that is about the correct amount so now it appears that the dipstick is not the right one. I am trying to find out if it was replaced at some time.
    Old 07-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #7

TN_Diablo is currently offline
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 180 Diablo
    My Engine: 3.0 Mercruiser

Send TN_Diablo:
    a Private Message

Maybe the oil had nothing to do with the difference at all. I am usually right in tune with changes in the way my cars run and possible engine problems but I seem to have little to go on in the boat other than WOT test. Not sure I trust it and here's why if you want the details.

Mine also seemed to have lost a little WOT rpm the last time we ran full speed on the lake. It behaved better than I expected with newly installed Smart Tabs but indicated rpm was down about 200 or so right at the same 4200 range you saw. I used to see about 4400 with a 21 pitch prop on mine which is more or less the lower limit and closer to 4900 with the 19 pitch prop I've also run. With the Smart tabs and the 21 prop I was hoping I would really break through the elusive 40 mph for my little 3.0 L It seemed with the 19 pitch I was ALWAYS under 40 and with the 21 I could hit 40 if I could find the right spot on the lake with a slight downhill grade. But one reason for the rpm might simply be the tachometer itself

My tachometer has had a tendency to get stuck to the point it has not buldged a few times after winter storage. So the following spring including this one I had to peel the bezel off and work the needle to get it moving again. Out of warranty so why not see if I can fix for free. It's a bit difficult the first time but once the bezel and glass is off the tach, the needle can twirl around and around 360+++ degrees freely. If it's sticky this frees it up again. But sometimes I'd flick it to spin it and it sticks a little below 0 and/or right about 4200. These two points are basically 180 degrees to one another and it might be the design of the windings in the tach itself that cause this. So maybe it sticks around 4200 on each of ours and has trouble getting just above that?

While my tach was out last and still set for a 4 cylinder I hooked it up in parallel to my old 88 M6 and ran it a little. Well the M6 can easily turn 7000 rpm which x 1.5 (6/4) is over 10,000 rpm. I did not run it up that high but did reach full scale on the Mariah tach and also noticed this slight tendency to stick/stall at 4200. I also switched the Mariah tach to 6 cylinder setting and it was actually very close to the BMW tachometer readings so I don't think I've changed the calibration or response of the tach from my fiddling around. But if I remember to I intend to check it with a scope sometime out on the lake because I think it still hangs slightly at 4200 and 4300-4400 isn't enough more to make it budge.

So maybe it's just the tach itself. And maybe using it more often will free it up and maybe that is what you've experienced the last time out. I would expect a 4.3 with more or less the same boat size as mine and 50% more hP to easily hit 4800 rpm with the right prop and easily run closer to 50 mph. But others will know if that is what to expect.
    Old 07-02-2015, 11:47 PM   #8

Find me on the Map

Send Glen:
    a Private Message

Thanks for that perspective. It's not something I would have even thought of which is another reason this forum is so great. I'm still perplexed though as to why the dipstick shows the oil about 2 inches above the full mark when the engine seems to have the right amount of oil. And I can't ask the previous owner as he passed away.