Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

My First Boat: 1997 Shabah 222

Original Mariah Talk

Old 06-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #1

TennMark is currently offline
My Year: 1997
My Model: 222 Shabah
Gallery Images: 0

Send TennMark:
a Private Message

Default My First Boat: 1997 Shabah 222

Would like to say this is a great board and being a greenhorn this place is very helpful. The family and I have been out five times in her so far and I learn something new each time. I have gone through many posts so I will try not to ask the same questions:

1. The "master switch" - some have said switch to off after every use while others say switch to off at end of boating season. I have been switching to off but it is kind of a pain to get to it. My battery is brand new
2. What kind of engine oil should I use? (Engine is less than 5 years old with about 100 hours and she went to a mechanic for a basic tune up/start before I starting using it this year)
3. What kind of tire pressure should I have while trailering (I don't keep her in a marina, she stays in a controlled climate storage facility so she is on the trailer when not in water)
4. How often should I grease the tires and what kind of grease is recommended?
5. Someone told me to never fill up at a gas station unless it is non ethanol gas. True?
6. I'm on the Tennessee River most of the time and have been looking at a small GPS/river chart system to mount on dash. I would like a recommendation on one and how big a deal is it to hook it up
  • Old 06-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #2

TN_Diablo is currently offline
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 180 Diablo
    My Engine: 3.0 Mercruiser

Send TN_Diablo:
    a Private Message

Default Re: My First Boat: 1997 Shabah 222

My opinion on most of these..

1. I always turn off the master battery disconnect when not in use. Just under my sundeck and easy to reach though.
    2. Oils are so debated but I'll give my opinion... I personally use Brad Penn Semi Synthetic Grade 1 Racing Oil in a 20w-50 because it's the same oil I run in my older BMW's with flat tappet cams and it has high additive content including detergent, zinc anti-wear and over base for acids. Valvoline VR1 is another good choice for the same reasons and then there are the diesel oils like Dello and Rotella. I would use this rather than the 'Marine' oil for which I have no idea of the true additive package. Oils today have had all the good stuff pulled out to protect catalytic conveters and emissions systems and we don't have that to worry about.
    3. It should be on the tire itself. I think the typical trailer tire is 50 or 55 psi.
    4. You mean grease the wheel bearings? A general purpose bearing grease should work but others might have a different opinion. I'd be more concerned about the gimbal bearing than the trailer bearings and I've wondered if gimbal bearing grease should be fine on the trailer aslo? I do not think Marine Teflon grease is right though but honestly I've never done my trailer in 15 years and we trailer ours also.
    5. I always fill at the gas station and I use alcohol free when possible but regular gas many times too, however, I always use premium since my boat will diesel or run-on if I don't and premium is less likely to have any alcohol anyway.
    6. No idea but the TN river... where out of curiosity? We usually go to Center Hill or Dale Hollow Lake but I've been curious to go South and see Chikamauga or the TN some time but never researched where to launch.
    Old 06-12-2015, 01:54 AM   #3

TennMark is currently offline
    My Year: 1997
    My Model: 222 Shabah

Send TennMark:
    a Private Message

Thanks for your answers, I really appreciate it. I'm either at Paris Landing or Pickwick Lake. I have been to Center Hill once and it is beautiful.
    Old 06-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #4

blockp is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 99 Jubilee 214
    Gallery Images: 8

Send blockp:
    a Private Message

Welcome TennMark. TN covered your questions pretty well, but some added input for you.

1) I never switch mine off. If I have a battery drain or some problem, then I might play with it while figuring out my problem. It's in a terrible spot on my jubilee, so I never bother with it.
    2) I've always run sae 30 or 40 in my I/O's.
    3) TN nailed that one.
    4) I have bearing buddies and give them a squirt of grease once a year while winterizing the boat.
    5) I always use the gas station, just don't run ethanol. If you don't have a choice on ethanol free, use the treatment for it as ethanol absorbs water.
    6) Unless you're looking to drop some cash on a good chart plotter, check out the Navionics app for your smart phone. Same maps as on the $100 chips, but for only 10 bux on the phone. GPS on your phone isn't always as accurate, but for a general idea of where you are, that sure beats forking out a grand or more on a plotter. If I remember right, it was $10 for lower 48 and cost me $5 more to get canada lakes/rivers.
    Old 06-12-2015, 07:07 PM   #5

TN_Diablo is currently offline
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 180 Diablo
    My Engine: 3.0 Mercruiser

Send TN_Diablo:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TennMark View Post
    I have been to Center Hill once and it is beautiful.
    Honestly it's so nice it's why I never really feel like I need to go elsewhere. I'm interested more out of curiosity and just to see a change of scenery.