The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Underwater LED lights in drain plug (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/10113-underwater-led-lights-drain-plug.html)

Shabah203 05-06-2015 04:56 PM

Underwater LED lights in drain plug

I was thinking about installing underwater LED lights, and then I saw these on ebay:

drain plug led lights | eBay

Has anyone got any experience with these? Seems like a very easy fix/fit!

Motoxxx43 05-06-2015 06:13 PM

Re: Underwater LED lights in drain plug

I have This one and have only used it a few times. I have to remove my plug after use EVERY time I boat due to invasive aquatic species NAZIs. (We have boat inspectors that make you pull plug, drain outdrive, brandish your anchor and just about everything else that can possibly be inconvenient prior to you leaving the launch ramp area). It was a pain in the ass to mess with the pig tail wire when putting plug in.
As for how it worked, it was cool. I have a white one but would like to have a blue.

Smokymance 05-14-2015 12:33 PM

Motoxxx43, can you actually see it at night? question is how bright its under there and how far the light travels...

Not sure if it just looks like a LED bulb lit up under the water, or if it has some "light beam" coming out of it a few feet

Motoxxx43 05-14-2015 01:00 PM

Its all dependent on the water you are in of course. Our lake is fairly clear during summer. I'd describe it as a glow more than a beam. Looks cool if you are up on plane!
That link I posted has them 40% off right now.

Smokymance 05-14-2015 01:38 PM

Yea of coarse, i been in some lakes that you cant even see ur prop...

so the glow is that visible while driving on plane from the captains chair? thats pretty impressive.

Motoxxx43 05-14-2015 01:49 PM

It was with a 28" platform off back. Some wake boat guy told me the other day he was sold "blue" LEDs for his because it goes farthest in our water here. Is it true? I have no idea. I am partial to green because it is suppose to attract fish.

sceptre155 05-20-2015 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have 4 of these on the trim tabs. Hard to tell from the pic but thats about 12-15ft of water behind the boat to give you an idea on how bright they are. I saw someone with one of those drain plug led's last year. I'd say it was close to being as bright as one of my trim tabs ish. Highlights the out drive well.

Motoxxx43 05-20-2015 02:04 PM

I like that. Out drive doesn't block the light!

Smokymance 05-20-2015 02:35 PM

wow that looks good...how do u have them mounted?

sceptre155 05-20-2015 02:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's kind of hard to see, but I mounted a piece of right angle aluminum and ran the wires through the speedo hole in the transom.