The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Fuel tank and range (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/1004-fuel-tank-range.html)

P&W_43yrs 04-22-2008 09:32 AM

Fuel tank and range

Can anybody tell me what size fuel tank was used in the original 1995 Mariah, Talari 180? Also, what approximate range can I expect using the 4 Cyl 3.0 LX engine?
Thanks for your time and effort!

Z 202 04-22-2008 01:56 PM

Most Mariahs have easy access to the fuel tank. Under the back seat there is a hinged cutout in the floor, flip it up and you have access to the fuel tank. It will have a sticker on it stating it's capacity.

Range will depend on fast you drive it... :yes_grin:

WetWilly 04-22-2008 07:45 PM

Hi P&W_43yrs,

You Talari has a 30 gallon tank, I had a similar sized boat (18.5') with the same motor and we were able to play all weekend long ( Water skiing and tubing) and when we were running around, it was pretty much at full throttle and all this on one tank.

Since fuel gauges are average at best, I recommend the 1/3 rule, 1/3 of a tank out. 1/3 back, 1/3 reserve until you get to know your fuel consumption and you'll never have a out of gas situation.

WetWilly

mikeyt 04-22-2008 08:45 PM

Hi P&W

Actually your range on that motor should be quite good. Hopefully 180Diablo will chime in here since he has that same combo and is always bragging about how much less expensive it is to run his boat compared to most of the rest of us :rolleyes:

180diablo 04-23-2008 01:23 PM

You rang ... ? :D

Range ... hmmm good question. I have never actually filled up the full 20gal (75L) worth tank and measured what I get for a range. I know I was taught how to do that in CPS (Canadian Power Sail Squadron), but I don't remember that already. I should pull out the books again and review so I can figure out my fuel consumption.

I do know that 30L (7.9gal) will last me a weekend. Basically my weekend would consist of a few hours in the afternoon Saturday and possibly a few hours in the morning Sunday. I do know I went a full 6hour trip (minus 1hr for lunch) on 30L worth of fuel. Which should be in the "Sparrow Lake to Big Chute thread" in the Trips section on here.

Wetwilly is 100% on the ball with the 1/3rd rule.

I know this spring I will be installing the resistor onto the back of the fuel gauge in my boat. No more bouncy fuel guage for me!

Click me here

P&W_43yrs 05-01-2008 01:26 PM

Thanks to all of you for your replies! Sorry for the late response; this was the first opportunity I had to review my email.

When my fuel gauge indicated 1/3 full, filling the tank required only 10 gals. Apparently, the gauge is very non-linear. In a previous response somebody indicated how to get at the fuel tank by removing the engine cover and a couple screws, then folding a piece of the floor back. I did that and the placard on the tank stated it was a 30 gal tank. As for the "range" issue: your responses were very helpful.

THANKS again!

KSP181 05-02-2008 02:19 AM

The best thing to due is fill it up, drive it the way you would on an average weekend with a GPS then fill it up again. That will give you a good indication of how much fuel you will burn for the miles. My 4.3L will get as good as 5 mpg at 3200 rpms with the wife and kids aboard (no tubing or skiing). You should have similar results.

180diablo 05-02-2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P&W_43yrs (Post 6248)
When my fuel gauge indicated 1/3 full, filling the tank required only 10 gals. Apparently, the gauge is very non-linear. In a previous response somebody indicated how to get at the fuel tank by removing the engine cover and a couple screws, then folding a piece of the floor back. I did that and the placard on the tank stated it was a 30 gal tank. As for the "range" issue: your responses were very helpful.

THANKS again!

I was in the same situation as you were. I was under the impression that 30L (8gal) was filling the tank as well. But that didn't seem right at all, which is why I wanted to pull up the carpet as well and take a look.

Now I wonder if the marina where I bought the boat from, was only giving me 30L of fuel as a "full tank", when it was barely even half. lol.

I will be purchasing a second 25L gas can before the season starts and will fill that up as well.