The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   looking for advice for a tune up on 5.7 EFI Bravo III (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/9111-looking-advice-tune-up-5-7-efi-bravo-iii.html)

donly1 03-18-2014 02:22 PM

looking for advice for a tune up on 5.7 EFI Bravo III

So its that time again. I own a 268MCC with a Mercrusier 5.7 EFI Bravo III 0L694819. This is the list I have so far, am I missing anything else, please advise. Do I have a thunderbolt ignition?

Oil Change with Filter 35-866340Q03
Fuel Filter 35-802893Q01
Distributer Cap 805759T1
Plugs 33-816336Q
Wires 84-816608Q83
5 quarts of Mercruiser Premium Gear Lube (Has anyone just drain the drive, and filled it through the reservoir? some are doing it to get all the air out)
Any advise on the impeller?

Any other advise on regular maintenance?

indykoch 03-18-2014 08:43 PM

Re: looking for advice for a tune up on 5.7 EFI Bravo III

I'd do the impeller as well. It's "supposed" to be every other year, but mostly depends on your water quality (muddy, sandy, shallow areas vs. clear, deep water). Looks like you're good with everything else!

Yes, I believe you have Thunderbolt ignition. Depends on year.

Don't forget wax, shampoo carpets, clean and protect vinyl, blah blah blah... everything else that never seems to get done!

Motoxxx43 03-19-2014 02:04 AM

I would not suggest filling the oil through the res. There is a pump sold for this. It should be around $10.
Gear oil info

Hudson River Steve 03-19-2014 12:22 PM

You cannot fill the drive via the res. You must pump from the bottom of the drive up into the res to ensure there is no trapped air or else risk damage to your very expensive Bravo3 drive.

Txtruckerpaul 04-13-2014 02:37 PM

Moto and Steve, isn't the correct way to do this is to pump oil into the bottom drain plug with the vent plug open, then put the vent plug in when the oil starts coming out, and then keep pumping thru the drain plug until the reservoir by the engine is close to full?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hudson River Steve 04-13-2014 02:45 PM

Paul - you are 100% correct. I only fill the reservoir to the level that the post for the float is just covered. I like to leave room for the drive lube to expand. The drive fluid in my Bravo3 gets pretty hot pushing my Z280 and will expand and overflow if filled too high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Txtruckerpaul 04-13-2014 02:48 PM

Ok Steve, thanks. I'll have to drain a little out of my reservoir, got it too full. All I need is a big messy spill back there from hot oil running out everywhere!

Hudson River Steve 04-13-2014 02:51 PM

And of course the reservoir is located just above the exhaust manifold...lovely smelling smoke...like a dead dinosaur!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Txtruckerpaul 04-13-2014 02:52 PM

Yuk- that stuff stinks enough as it is fresh out of the bottle

jayws6 04-16-2014 04:54 PM

I've only had our boat for one boating season so I don't have much experience with it but I filled through the lower drain plug until the gear lube came out the top vent plug. Installed both plugs and filled through the reservoir until it was almost full. There will be some air in between but it should get worked out. At least the B3 won't have any air in it. I was hesitant to fill past the vent plug not knowing if it would cause any issues.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk