The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Starting issue (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/7958-starting-issue.html)

Twostroke 04-14-2013 12:47 PM

Starting issue

My 4.3 l has this starting issue, on the first start up it takes forever to get going sometimes it fires right up but then stalls. I have to remove the air breather and play with the carb while someone cranks it over. After it starts it runs perfect and starts perfect for the rest of the day even if it sits for a few hours. Any thoughts?

Andy b 04-14-2013 01:02 PM

Re: Starting issue

Sounds like fuel, are you pumping the throttle 3 or 4 times before you turn it over?
if it's been stood a while turn the ignition on and of a couple of times to let the fuel pump lift some gas from the tank. pump the throttle 3 or 4 times then set the lever at about 1/4 open and crank....
if that doesn't work then you may need to service the carb, but like you say once it's going it's fine

Twostroke 04-14-2013 01:09 PM

Yep I have done that as well. Has to be my choke not closing at the right time or a week fuel pump. Fuel pump so quite I can't even hear it

husker_fan 04-14-2013 01:17 PM

Check and make sure the accelerator pump is squirting fuel too. Mine has the same prob and that's what it is. I almost have to shoot some carb cleaner in it if its sat for awhile. A carb rebuild is on my short list for it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Andy b 04-14-2013 01:18 PM

Well if you have a suspect pump I’d change it anyway. Don’t want it failing out on the water.
See if it makes any difference and go from there.
Does it bog down if you run a WOT for a period of time?
Quote:

Originally Posted by husker_fan (Post 43017)
Check and make sure the accelerator pump is squirting fuel too.

i had the slightest nick in mine on my 3.0L and it was a bugger to start cold

Twostroke 04-14-2013 01:19 PM

nope runs 100 % after i get it going for the first time of the day

ColoradoDiablo 04-14-2013 01:56 PM

Throw in a anti siphon valve at the fuel tank. Should be a screw in fitting right at the tank. It might be stuck in the open position , or sticking anyway causing the fuel to return to the tank.

Just a thought :)

Twostroke 05-15-2013 01:45 AM

Got my starting issue fixed it was the Choke not working proper and would almost stay closed causing engine to flood, after setting all seems 100%

ColoradoDiablo 05-15-2013 01:47 AM

Just in time to cut it loose this season!
Nice job :):wink_thumbup:

Mark from Long Lake 05-20-2013 03:31 PM

I just posted a new thread related to the fuel pump sending unit. My fuel pump works, but it's not getting the signal from the sending unit. Does anyone have experience with that (put a new fuel pump in last year).
Thanks,
Mark