The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Instructions on how to replace risers and manifolds (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/5639-instructions-how-replace-risers-manifolds.html)

csterner 06-15-2011 02:27 PM

Instructions on how to replace risers and manifolds

Ok, so one of the things on my long list is to pull the risers. I think that I might have a leak because I saw some water staining on the outside. Is this as easy as it looks? Looks like you just remove the exhaust hose to the riser and then a few bolts to take the riser off. I have searched and can't find detailed instructions on how to do this. Should I pull the manifolds off at the same time or just the risers? The manifolds looks alot more difficult to do.

Zackattack 06-15-2011 11:11 PM

Re: Instructions on how to replace risers and manifolds

I did the risers recently when I installed my fresh water cooling system, and yep its that easy. 4 bolts and the clamp for the exhaust.

csterner 06-15-2011 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zackattack (Post 29838)
I did the risers recently when I installed my fresh water cooling system, and yep its that easy. 4 bolts and the clamp for the exhaust.

Very cool. How about the Manifolds? Are they just as easy? I am thinking that since this was a salt water boat since its birth, I should probably go ahead and do the manifolds as well. Do you know if they are just as easy?

Zackattack 06-16-2011 05:48 AM

Well, I think not. Although I agree completely with your desire to investigate them. When you remove the riser, you will be able to see the extent of the corrosion to a certain point even in the manifolds. I did not remove mine, they looked fine.

Since it was in the salt water, did they have a closed cooling system installed? or did the raw water cool the engine so all the system was exposed to the salt water? The closed system I just installed protects the manifolds so they are cooled by the closed system, and if yours is that way you may have little to no corrosion in the manifolds but some in the risers where the raw water gets discharged.

Some of my bolts were very difficult to remove, in fact I had to take the boat to a bolt extractor pro for two of them that would not cooperate.:mad:

Hope yours comes apart much easier.:wink_thumbup:

darkcalling 06-17-2011 11:49 PM

I did mine on th eold boat when I up graded the engine they and the manifolds were cracked and heard it was a common issue not sure though. But anyway I switched mine to aluminum as I never run in salt and saved alot of wieght as Zack said though if they have been constantly in salt check them out very carefully while your in there and soak those bolts for a couple days with a good penetrating oil as much as you can then if possible hit with an impact they all popped easy on mine. Good luck with it.

csterner 06-20-2011 08:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well, I finally got around to pulling one of the risers. i guess the original owner didn't flush the engine after each use like she said! After seeing this, I am going to replace the risers and manifolds. Also, what is the valve that is in between the outdrive and the risers? it looks like some kind of backflow preventer. I know it is a bad picture, but it looks like one side of this "flapper valve" is completely corroded away. Is this correct?

rajjneef 06-20-2011 09:15 PM

Chris that is a shame but honestly it is what I FULLY expected when I first saw this boat come up for sale from the PO. I've always had my eye out for a 275 or 302 so of course I gave thought to it. The bottom line is this IMO. If someone is too lazy to spend 5 minutes after they use the boat to put covers back on it they certainly will not spend the hours of time for other maintenance issues. Its a shame you will have to go this deep on the boat but atleast you will know where the boat stands and good sweat equity after you complete your work on it. Good luck!

csterner 06-20-2011 09:27 PM

Yea, I knew that we would have to put some money into this boat. I bought this as a project boat and we only paid $12,000 for her, so I think we are still ok even if I got to replace the whole engine! My wife and I have had several boats, but we were blown away by the 275's floorplan. So hopefully I can fix this and get back out on the water!

darkcalling 06-20-2011 11:12 PM

Y eah slap a 502 in her and away you go;) no seriously sorry to see that hear alor of horror stories about salt water all the best on this project.

csterner 06-20-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkcalling (Post 29999)
Y eah slap a 502 in her and away you go;) no seriously sorry to see that hear alor of horror stories about salt water all the best on this project.

Yea, would love to put one of those aluminum shiny 502's in her, but don't have the money for that. We have to spend $1,000 for the manifolds and risers and another $1.000 for the diverters and solenoids for the Captains Call. Maybe in a couple of years though...