The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Silent Choice needs reinstalled (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/5344-silent-choice-needs-reinstalled.html)

csterner 04-11-2011 11:13 PM

Silent Choice needs reinstalled

I have a 2001 Z275ST with a 6.2L Merc. The original owner actually removed the silent choice exhaust because the elbow was leaking or something. They left the exhaust tips in and just capped them off inside. All the electrical is still there, so is it just installing the "elbow" and that's it? I have never installed this system before and desperately want this feature back. Any ideas on where to get this elbow? Thanks!!

Oregondunes 04-12-2011 12:26 AM

Re: Silent Choice needs reinstalled

corsa marine exhaust

csterner 04-12-2011 07:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know what diverter I would need from Corsa? I called them and they said that it would be $1,000 for 2 diverters. but I would really like to find a set on Ebay for alot less! The original owner took out the diverters,but left everything else. I could have cried when I saw that she did this!

Dredd 04-12-2011 07:38 PM

Are the solenoids there? I don't see them in the pics.
The solenoids that Corsa used (Woodcraft, iirc) have been discontinued. You have to buy the new ones at like $170 and also a replacement harness at $170. Just something else to think about.

As a side note: I did recently notice that Hardin Marine has a diverter kit for about a grand. The description on that page is pretty lame though.

csterner 04-12-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dredd (Post 28335)
Are the solenoids there? I don't see them in the pics.
The solenoids that Corsa used (Woodcraft, iirc) have been discontinued. You have to buy the new ones at like $170 and also a replacement harness at $170. Just something else to think about.

As a side note: I did recently notice that Hardin Marine has a diverter kit for about a grand. The description on that page is pretty lame though.

No, the solenoids are gone as well. The Thru-Hull tips, and switch and switch wiring is all that's left. Corsa's quote of $1,000 did include everything I needed to reinstall it. I am just being cheap now and trying to find it cheaper! But it is hard to be cheap when I am gonna drop $1,000 for nothing but a male ego booster anyways! Well, I am gonna go throw a temper tantrum now!!! :) :)

Zackattack 04-12-2011 08:33 PM

That temper tantrum will look so appropriate though when you can pull in that solenoid and spit out raw horsepower over the lake.

I can hardly forget the guy at the dock that said " that sounds bad a**!" I had to agree with him.

Its worth the grand, pull the trgger.

Boatcrazy 04-13-2011 12:09 AM

I had to rig up some weird angle exhaust path to go from my Lightning headers to the transom under the swim steps on my Z302. I bought a bunch of 15, 30, 45 degree pvc fittings and pipe and used them to get the correct placement and then had a stainless pipe fitter weld up 4.5" material into a one off custom down tube exhaust system. Cost me $1200 but you will need a lot less material and with less angles than I needed to in my situation. I will look for pictures and post them here.

Boatcrazy 04-13-2011 12:15 AM

Here is the post

http://www.mariahownersclub.com/foru...e-exhaust.html

sanukc 04-13-2011 12:51 AM

Once csterner's issue has been resolved, can someone please explain what this Silent Choice thing is? Is it like equivalent of putting something like a Borla/Magnaflow exhaust on a car?

Dredd 04-13-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanukc (Post 28345)
Once csterner's issue has been resolved, can someone please explain what this Silent Choice thing is? Is it like equivalent of putting something like a Borla/Magnaflow exhaust on a car?

Switchable exhaust. So you can choose to have it either go straight out the hull (loud) or out through the prop (quite) at the flick of a switch.
Performance gains are potential but minimal. It's mostly just a cool feature for numerous other reasons.