The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Electrical, starter clicks several times before starting (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/5006-electrical-starter-clicks-several-times-before-starting.html)

ginodesico 10-24-2010 12:27 AM

Electrical, starter clicks several times before starting

I have posted here a couples of times, looking for a solution to what would seem a simple solution. When I turn the ignition switch on, sometimes it starts, most of the time I get clicks. Replace the starter, starter relay, ignition switch, new battery, cleaned all connections today with steel wool from the grounds to the Mercathode & still get a click. Again, sometimes it turns over but not consistent. I had a electrician come over today with a volt meter & we still cannot find why it continues to do this at free will. Any help would be grateful & also need a wiring diagram for the hatch switch, electric seat switch. How to reconnect the wires. I have a 1996 Z255 Shabah 7.4 L Bravo Three Mercruiser. Thanks :wink_thumbup:

Dredd 10-24-2010 03:11 AM

Re: Electrical, starter clicks several times before starting

Sounds like you're thorough so you are probably aware of this but I'll throw it out there. It sure sounds like the solenoid. I think on some Fords the solenoid is seperate from the starter. Maybe a similar setup? Idk, just an idea.

mikeyt 10-24-2010 01:50 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles and i agree that it sounds like the solenoid is going bad. If you would like to become a contributing member to the site, you will have access to all manuals / wiring diagrams necessary to help with the repairs.

sc143kr07 10-29-2010 02:30 PM

i had same problem on 1999 214 jublee and it was the starter i was buying had been rebuilt and it was bad the solonoid was intermittent.. solution i found always buy a NEW starter and be sure it is the correct torque and the correct teeth on flywheel

Clay&Toot 10-31-2010 10:23 PM

I would check the grounds. All of them. I"ve had good luck running an extra straight to the starter. Could be a solinoid prob. You may have two. One remote{like a Ford} and another on the starter{like Chevy}. Good luck hope this helps. If not I'm sure someone on here can help you out.:wink_thumbup:

sc143kr07 11-01-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginodesico (Post 26542)
I have posted here a couples of times, looking for a solution to what would seem a simple solution. When I turn the ignition switch on, sometimes it starts, most of the time I get clicks. Replace the starter, starter relay, ignition switch, new battery, cleaned all connections today with steel wool from the grounds to the Mercathode & still get a click. Again, sometimes it turns over but not consistent. I had a electrician come over today with a volt meter & we still cannot find why it continues to do this at free will. Any help would be grateful & also need a wiring diagram for the hatch switch, electric seat switch. How to reconnect the wires. I have a 1996 Z255 Shabah 7.4 L Bravo Three Mercruiser. Thanks :wink_thumbup:

I own a Mariah 4.3l Bravo three and I had the same problem and after electricans /mechanics finally the problem was solved ..I had been buying rebuilt starters and each starter had its own characterics some would just click like yours and some would start at random times never knew when it was going to not start.. Starter expert told me the bushings in the rebuilt starter had spots which were breaking down causing the random starts.. the clicking on the other starter was weak plunger on solonoid.. So be sure to get the CORRECT STARTER Correct torque and line the teeth up correctly no play in flywheel connections, you want the starter install to align with flywheen tight.. Solution NEW STARTER NO REBUILTS

mikeyt 11-01-2010 01:43 PM

If you want to put a little time into it and be certain of what the problem is, there is a full starter diagnostics procedure here on our site.

warner0308 12-22-2010 03:45 AM

i had the same prob. on a motorcycle. it was a ***** to find but it ended up being the neutral saftey switch!! you might want to check yours or even the kill switch, might sound funny but if there corroded they could act up during start.

Dredd 12-22-2010 03:27 PM

I think he forgot about his thread... :confused: he hasn't signed in since the day after, nearly 2 months ago.

steventurner23 02-15-2011 07:45 AM

I have had the same clicking problems myself in my 2003 Mariah. I replaced both the circuit breaker and silenoid. Neither one of those fixed my problem, still clicks. im looking towards the starter as being the problem. But now im having trouble with my ignition. Im not getting any power to my ignition at all. Does anyone know if the power wire to the ignition has an in line fuse or not????