The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   winterizing Bravo III (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/4988-winterizing-bravo-iii.html)

pincourtmariah 10-18-2010 08:13 PM

winterizing Bravo III

This is my first season with my Mariah c/w Bravo III outdrive, I'm just about finished winterizing the package, no problems as I've done this many years with my previous boat and Alpha I drive. My question is, where is the drain hole on the foot of the Bravo III drive? In my manual, it shows a generic picture of an outdrive with an arrow pointing to the drain hole location, but I can't see it anywhere on my drive. So maybe there is none on this drive or it's been painted over and covered. Just to be clear on the Alpha I drive you find the drain hole near the bottom of the foot, it gets cleaned out with a thin piece of wire to make sure no water gets trapped inside over the winter. I want to be sure I don't miss this important step for the winter, it's an amazing boat and drive!!

mikeyt 10-19-2010 03:05 AM

Re: winterizing Bravo III

Quote:

Originally Posted by pincourtmariah (Post 26453)
This is my first season with my Mariah c/w Bravo III outdrive, I'm just about finished winterizing the package, no problems as I've done this many years with my previous boat and Alpha I drive. My question is, where is the drain hole on the foot of the Bravo III drive? In my manual, it shows a generic picture of an outdrive with an arrow pointing to the drain hole location, but I can't see it anywhere on my drive. So maybe there is none on this drive or it's been painted over and covered. Just to be clear on the Alpha I drive you find the drain hole near the bottom of the foot, it gets cleaned out with a thin piece of wire to make sure no water gets trapped inside over the winter. I want to be sure I don't miss this important step for the winter, it's an amazing boat and drive!!

Bravo 3 drain plug is on the right side at the bottom of the nose cone. Here's a good photo explanation of how to change the oil on a Bravo 3.

pincourtmariah 10-19-2010 06:33 PM

Thanks Mike, but this is not what I'm asking about... I'm asking where the water drain hole is on Bravo III. It's supposed to be a small hole, maybe 1/32" diameter, usually just needs a metal wire to get pushed in to clear any debris and let the water dribble out. I had this on the Alpha I drive, just can't find it on the Bravo III, but maybe there is none??

mikeyt 10-19-2010 07:57 PM

I misunderstood your question then. I dont believe there is a gearcase water weeping hole on a Bravo 2 or 3 and i believe that's due to neither using an outdrive mounted water impeller like the Alpha 1 does. Hopefully someone here with a Bravo 3 can check their unit to confirm this.

pincourtmariah 10-19-2010 08:25 PM

Thanks that would make sense... like I said, I looked and looked and then looked some more, couldn't find any trace of this hole. I just want to be sure nothing stupid is going on like it was painted over, but nothing leads me to believe the drive was repainted anyways. So thanks for the effort, it's appreciated!

wplaine 10-22-2010 01:44 AM

I've got the BIII drive and no water weep hole. The Gear lube replacement and zinc check is all I have needed to do for winter lay up. Lots o zincs!

pincourtmariah 10-22-2010 01:15 PM

Thanks for the reassurance, looks like I'm good to go for the winter...

Speaking of zinc's, at the dealership I just saw a new SeaRay w/Bravo 3, on the end of the propeller shaft was another anode, a large conical piece threaded right onto the end of the shaft. Never saw that before, maybe it's something Mercruiser has come up with for more protection against corrosion??

wplaine 10-22-2010 11:23 PM

Seen that also on newer boats. My manual doesnt show one and the boat when I got it didnt have it. So I wouldnt sweat it as long as the rest are ok. I am having general corrosion problems on the entire lower unit, small pitting but it is 14+ years old and obviously was stored in salt water (bottom paint) fro god knows how long. Still a great boat.

mikeyt 10-23-2010 03:21 AM

Do you have the Mercathode system on your boats?

wplaine 10-23-2010 01:26 PM

]Yep. I am pulling the outdrive this winter and plan on checking/replacing all zincs and getting to the bottom of the Mercathode system and the corrosion. Then prime and paint the outdrive in a controlled environment.