The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Cracked Head 350 Mag. Help Please!!!! (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/3967-cracked-head-350-mag-help-please.html)

TMRoper1669 04-26-2010 02:54 AM

Cracked Head 350 Mag. Help Please!!!!

Yes I did the thing that everyone talks about not doing, for several years I made sure to get the boat winterized in time for the first big freeze except this year I didn't and well here we are. It looks as though the Head is cracked very close to the manifold on the (BOAT) driver side, does anyone know a good place to get heads for this 350MAG. Is there anyone who has done this before. I know my way around motors but I never wanted to deal too much with the boat. I would appreicate any help thanks.

jgreen 05-03-2010 03:13 AM

Re: Cracked Head 350 Mag. Help Please!!!!

That sucks! I think that the 350MAG uses standard GM Vortec heads. You can get them from any dealer. If you're lucky, you might find a good used head at the recycler and save some money. Remember to get a marine specific head gasket, they have a Stainless steel core.
Good luck and get back on the water soon.

TMRoper1669 05-09-2010 10:40 PM

Well got it all pulled apart today and both heads are cracked, I was wondering is there was a performace head for this 350mag. the casting number in the existing it #14096217

jgreen 05-10-2010 12:47 AM

Search the net and you'll find all kinds of info about these heads on cars and boats. You can also check Summit.com for about 5 pages of performance heads. Just remember the rule....speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? Have fun and get back n the water quick.

TMRoper1669 05-14-2010 02:48 AM

Can't seem to find much info about the heads I need to replace

jgreen 05-14-2010 02:58 AM

The Google knows
14096217 - Google Search
Try this.

300sflyer 05-22-2010 12:31 PM

Hate to be the one to say this, but if both heads are indeed cracked, there is a very good chance your exhaust manifolds and block are cracked as well.:(

Did you notice any cracks on the exterior of the block or in the lifter gallery when you pulled the intake off? Your exhaust manifolds are likely cracked internally, unless they were drained.

jgreen 05-22-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 300sflyer (Post 22205)
Hate to be the one to say this, but if both heads are indeed cracked, there is a very good chance your exhaust manifolds and block are cracked as well.:(

Did you notice any cracks on the exterior of the block or in the lifter gallery when you pulled the intake off? Your exhaust manifolds are likely cracked internally, unless they were drained.

Good point Mike. The block should be magnaflexed and if ok freshened up. If it's cracked then a reman from someplace like Jasper would be one way to go.

TMRoper1669 05-23-2010 06:26 PM

I did not notice anything internally or externally on either the block or the exhaust manifolds, I will be receiving the replacement heads this week and most likely be installing them next weekend so I will check everything real good and let everyone know. I sure hope my first check was correct and there is nothing else.