The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Skeg Repair (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/3357-skeg-repair.html)

sweetness34 09-21-2009 04:42 PM

Skeg Repair

Hey all,
I took the boat out this weekend to enjoy the nice weather. Unfortunately, the lake I took it on had a pretty shallow depth for my outdrive and it took a little bit of a beating. A nice 1/2"x1" chunk has now gone missing from the bottom of the skeg. I'm sure it won't mess with my performance too bad, but before it gets any worse, and before next season, I want to have it repaired.
I read up on some of the other posts about whether to get a skeggard or to get it repaired and I'm just trying to find whats best for me. How much does anyone think it would be to get the skeg repaired? If its not that much, I'd rather do that cause there's nothing better than the original. If not, should I go with a skeggard to drill in or the blackfin I see advertised? I'm unsure on how well either of those would stay on should the skeg take a decent hit like this weekend.
Lastly, in the process, my stainless stell prop took a little damage. Not too bad, but what kinda cost am I looking at to get it all prettied up in the off season? Thanks in advance fellas.

jgreen 09-22-2009 12:36 AM

Re: Skeg Repair

Hi Mikey, I'm happy to recommend a local shop for your repairs. They recently rebuilt my Bravo 3 propset. Their price was $115.00 ea, 230 for the set. And they turned them around in a week. I think if you drag the boat over to them they would TIG weld your skeg too.

M&G Propeller
217 Sola Dr
Gilberts, IL 60136
847-551-9281
Owner's name is Chris Miranda
Hope you give them a try, I was very satisfied. :wink_thumbup:

WetWilly 09-22-2009 05:09 AM

Hi sweetness34, I recommend having the skeg repaired myself and it looks like jgreen has got you going in the right direction :wink_thumbup:, so let us know how it turns out!

WetWilly

Captain Steve 09-23-2009 01:37 AM

Wetwilly is an expert. However, I chunked the leading edge of my skeg and put on a Skeggard myself. They go for around $100 and are very easy to install. Just drill two holes in the right places and screw it on. You can see mine in my picture gallery. I am very happy with it.

sweetness34 09-23-2009 12:24 PM

I understand reasons for both ways of getting this repaired. I just don't want to get this small piece repaired just to end up having it happen again. I could understand getting it repaired if the damage was more. It seems like the price for the repair is going to be the same as the price for the skeggard, without me having to drag the boat to a shop however.
Is the drag significant with a skeggard on? Would it be wise perhaps if I do both? Knowing of course that I should have put a skeggard on to begin with. And if I do go with a skeggard, what type? I know they have them made out of different materials now. Thanks for all the advice guys.

95Z212 10-02-2009 12:24 AM

I'm going to put a Stainless one on my Alpha 1 this spring. She'll look good shining in the lift :D

backwater bill 03-11-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetness34 (Post 18427)
I understand reasons for both ways of getting this repaired. I just don't want to get this small piece repaired just to end up having it happen again. I could understand getting it repaired if the damage was more. It seems like the price for the repair is going to be the same as the price for the skeggard, without me having to drag the boat to a shop however.
Is the drag significant with a skeggard on? Would it be wise perhaps if I do both? Knowing of course that I should have put a skeggard on to begin with. And if I do go with a skeggard, what type? I know they have them made out of different materials now. Thanks for all the advice guys.

I bought the Blackfin Skeg and it works great on my Mercruiser and i didn't have to drill any holes. The steering is much more sensitive.