The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Winterizing Checklist? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/3311-winterizing-checklist.html)

SummerFun 09-11-2009 09:20 PM

Winterizing Checklist?

Hi to All,

I'm a new member. I have a '92 Mariah Diablo 182 with the 4.3L Merc and Alpha 1 O/D. As I live above the 'frostline' I was hoping someone might have a "Winterizing Checklist' going over step-by-step as to what I want to do in order to protect my new baby over the snowier months. Looking forward to hearing from you...

abe

:)

WetWilly 09-11-2009 09:46 PM

Re: Winterizing Checklist?

Hi SummerFun,

As many of our members live where it gets down to freezing, we've discussed this many times in the past, but it's always good to take a refresher!

Click here and here and read these two threads, they should have all the information and links to articles you need to safely prep your Mariah for the up-coming hibernation.

Good luck,
WetWilly

SummerFun 09-11-2009 10:19 PM

Thanks "Dubbleya"...

Much appreciated. I'm guessing that 'Winterizing' a motor isn't 'engine specific' then? Basically all boat motors are winterized the same?

Thanks again...

abe

WetWilly 09-11-2009 11:50 PM

Hi Abe, that's right, the procedure is pretty much the same for most setups.

Another thing to remember, which I believe is mentioned but if not, add a gas stabilizer to the fuel tank if there is any gas in there ( I use STA-BIL gas treatment) and run the motor long enough to get the treated gas up to the carb or injectors.

WetWilly

SummerFun 10-09-2009 06:07 PM

1992 Mariah Diablo 4.3L Mercruiser Alpha 1

Hey once again...just about to winterize my baby ('92 Diablo with 4.3L Merc/Alpha1)

Since I was promised the manual(s) when I purchase this boat last June...disappointingly that hasn't happened.

Wondering...

1. What size/part no. oil filter is on this engine? I'm guessing a Fram PH30??

2. What is the oil capacity of this motor? 5Qt (4.75L)?

3. If draining the block of water...is it really necessary to 'backfill' with anti-freeze??

Thanks in advance liquidlovers!

Tom 10-12-2009 07:29 PM

I thought I could remember everything and finished winterizing on Saturday. Put the boat in the polebarn and Saturday night remembered that I hadn't fogged the engine. Out it came Sunday to do that and now a checklist will be used because my memory certainly isn't getting any better!

WetWilly 10-12-2009 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 18813)
I thought I could remember everything and finished winterizing on Saturday. Put the boat in the polebarn and Saturday night remembered that I hadn't fogged the engine. Out it came Sunday to do that and now a checklist will be used because my memory certainly isn't getting any better!

Hi Tom, you're certainly not alone there! :yes_grin:

I'm at the stage where I practically need a check list just to function everyday, wouldn't want to forget to go to the bathroom and end up with an accident if you know what I mean..... :eek_animated:

WetWilly

Caspersa21 10-14-2009 01:26 PM

Thank you for the articles. I'm putting mine away this weekend. :( How cold is too cold to have the boat in the water? We literally went from 70s to 30s in a couple of days here, and I am a little worried. Should I be??

Thanks,
C:eek_animated:

indykoch 10-14-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caspersa21 (Post 18827)
How cold is too cold to have the boat in the water?

Whatever temp your butt can brave!!! :yes_grin:

Usually you can get by with 28° - 30° if it's only for a few hours overnight. Much longer or colder and you'll want to at least drain the block. I think it would take a severe freeze in the mid-lower 20's for a whole night before it could actually crack a block though. Better to be safe than sorry. If I see a forecast of 30° or less, I'm out there draining.

I've been out late in the season, but I've never seen ice in the water. I hope you're not asking about using the boat as an ice breaker!!:eek_animated:

Caspersa21 10-15-2009 12:56 PM

Hi Ryan,
Thanks for the advice :rolling_laugh:

The boat's summer home is on the mighty Mississippi, so no ice breaking needed!! ;) I have just never had a boat in the water with temps like this. I'm not too happy we went from Summer right to Winter!! Anyway, she'll be dry this weekend. Thanks again!

Tom 10-20-2009 12:32 PM

I made an oil drain apparatus for the boat that worked pretty well. I bought a flexible rubber pan that holds one gallon, drilled a hole in the bottom edge of the side. Put a hose in the hole and ran it out the back through the drain hole into a gallon jug. Only lost about 2 ounces of oil when my caulking job around the tube wasn't done as well as I thought. I have pix if anyone is interested. My wife will help me post them as I struggle with that!!I used one of the pumping cans in the past with my sailboat and never liked it as you could never get all the oil out.

WetWilly 10-20-2009 09:10 PM

Hi Tom, we're always open to new ideas and yes, we would like very much to see your setup :wink_thumbup:.

Probably the easiest way to put the pictures on the site is to attach them to a post. If you need a little assistance with doing that, click here for a little tutorial.

Take care,
WetWilly

david238684 10-24-2020 06:20 PM

Hello,
I just bought a 1992 Mariah Diablo with 3.0 l Mercruiser. Where could I find an owners manual for this boat? Thanks

mikeyt 10-24-2020 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david238684 (Post 67918)
Hello,
I just bought a 1992 Mariah Diablo with 3.0 l Mercruiser. Where could I find an owners manual for this boat? Thanks

Not sure why you posted this query here in a 11 yr old thread but in any event, read the STICKY at the top of the Introduction forum