The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   4.3L V6 Oil Dipstick Reading? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/2956-4-3l-v6-oil-dipstick-reading.html)

SEMIJim 07-13-2009 04:13 AM

4.3L V6 Oil Dipstick Reading?

Hi All,

Our new-to-us '94 182 Barchetta had a re-built engine installed just prior to the sale, so we're doing the new-engine break-in thing. One thing you're supposed to do it check the oil frequently. So today, before taking her out again, and after 3-1/2 hours on the engine, I did that. Now on every other engine with which I've had experience, I've been able to clearly see the oil level on the dipstick, but not this time. I did it several times, carefully wiping the stick between each check, and all I could get was a thin line of oil along one side of the stick, that went well above the "full" mark. She's in the water (in a slip) and leans a bit to starboard even with nobody in the boat. (I ascribe that to the battery being on that side.) And with me standing on that side of the boat, probably does so even more.

Is this a normal problem? Does the oil level have to be checked while the boat's on her trailer to get a decent dipstick reading?

Oil pressure, btw, is always about 40 lbs., a bit above at higher RPMs.

Thanks,
Jim

dudders 07-13-2009 06:05 PM

Re: 4.3L V6 Oil Dipstick Reading?

I personally think your dipstick isnt showing simply because of the angle your motor is on at the moment.
If you can get your hands on a spirit level, check to see what angle you are on at the slip and then again when you have your boat on your trailer on flat ground, compare the two, and this may give you your answer.
Hopefully for you it is nothing other than that mate.
Good luck.
Tony

SEMIJim 07-14-2009 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudders (Post 16559)
I personally think your dipstick isnt showing simply because of the angle your motor is on at the moment.

That's my theory.

Quote:

If you can get your hands on a spirit level, ...

Y'know, that idea never occurred to me. Thanks for the idea, Tony! We're going to be taking a couple friends for a cruise tommorrow afternoon. I'll set the spirit level on the cockpit console and have 'em move around until she's more-or-less level, port-to-starboard, and check again.

Quote:

Hopefully for you it is nothing other than that mate.
Good luck.

That's really the only thing that makes sense. If she had no oil, I'm kinda thinking she wouldn't hum along happily at 3000-3300 RPM with good oil pressure and water temp.

I guess not many people check their oil on the water, based on the dearth of responses I've received to this question.

Jim

Z 202 07-14-2009 10:23 PM

I check mine all the time. It comes from being raised by a mechanic. :)

FWIW I get the same reading when I'm sitting with the boat on a level trailer as I do when I'm docked in my slip. When moored, my boat shows no perceptible list, and I stand on the centerline when I check it.

I do find discrepancies between the front and back side of the stick, but the one side reads consistently when I've dipped several times.