The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   96 Shabah 5.7 Merc, Bravo 3, wont go forward (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/11610-96-shabah-5-7-merc-bravo-3-wont-go-forward.html)

shanomcd 07-07-2017 11:24 PM

96 Shabah 5.7 Merc, Bravo 3, wont go forward

Hey All,
Long time.. I usually get all my stuff from the Facebook page! Love seeing Mariah's all around the world!

Anyhoo,
Tuesday, July 4th had a great day on the lake.. All Day!! Boat ran great, had a ton of fun. End of the day, pulled to the Marina dock, tied up, let some people off.. Got back in the boat, Wife untied, gave me a small push, etc... Drive wont engage forward! Messed with it for a second, still nothing. Tried reverse, worked great.. Backed right back to the dock.
Messed with it some more, still no forward, but reverse works fine. Pops right back to neutral from reverse too.. Just no forward.

Took the shift box apart this morning, all the linkage looks good and operational. The cables seem to be good and smooth. Shifting is not hard. Also watched the linkage back on the motor, all seems good from the shift box to the linkage plate. I cant tell beyond that. I know I am not supposed to shift while not running, so I have kept that to a minimum..

Any thoughts?? I have heard horrible rumors about some "castle gears" in the Bravo 3.. to the tune of about 2500.00?? YIKES!
I was hoping for a bit of Bravo 3 advise about similar things that I can check out!!

Thank you all a ton!

Shano

Hudson River Steve 07-08-2017 03:07 PM

Re: 96 Shabah 5.7 Merc, Bravo 3, wont go forward

Let's hope the shift cable end has come off or slipped out of the spring loaded coupler on the outdrive. You will need to pull the outdrive to know for sure.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1996 Mariah Z252 07-08-2017 09:04 PM

Re: 96 Shabah 5.7 Merc, Bravo 3, wont go forward

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanomcd (Post 63048)
Hey All,
Long time.. I usually get all my stuff from the Facebook page! Love seeing Mariah's all around the world!

Anyhoo,
Tuesday, July 4th had a great day on the lake.. All Day!! Boat ran great, had a ton of fun. End of the day, pulled to the Marina dock, tied up, let some people off.. Got back in the boat, Wife untied, gave me a small push, etc... Drive wont engage forward! Messed with it for a second, still nothing. Tried reverse, worked great.. Backed right back to the dock.
Messed with it some more, still no forward, but reverse works fine. Pops right back to neutral from reverse too.. Just no forward.

Took the shift box apart this morning, all the linkage looks good and operational. The cables seem to be good and smooth. Shifting is not hard. Also watched the linkage back on the motor, all seems good from the shift box to the linkage plate. I cant tell beyond that. I know I am not supposed to shift while not running, so I have kept that to a minimum..

Any thoughts?? I have heard horrible rumors about some "castle gears" in the Bravo 3.. to the tune of about 2500.00?? YIKES!
I was hoping for a bit of Bravo 3 advise about similar things that I can check out!!

Thank you all a ton!

Shano

I had a similar issue before. Exept mine worked but it was very difficult to engage in both directions. This may be your upper Stern drive unit like it was for me. Hopefully it's not!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk