The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   RPM's, electrical issues (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/11545-rpms-electrical-issues.html)

Maciej 06-15-2017 02:56 PM

RPM's, electrical issues

Hello all

It's been about 3 weeks since we took our new to us 1994 Talari 180 for a run. That time it seemed to be running fine, running the 4.3 with a 21p 3 blade aluminum we were occasionally seeing about 5200 rpm on the tach at WOT.
Today I was checking in on the boat as she has been sitting in the water for those 3 weeks. Seemed like less than 30 seconds to pump out whatever water got in, I think through leaky cover up front.
She took few cranks to get started, battery gauge was showing maybe11 volts. She started and ran quietly so I let her warm up for a couple of minutes while I checked things over.
Decided to take her for a spin, she got on plane nicely but a couple of minutes in I looked at the tach and I was showing 5500 RPM, this at maybe 2/3-3/4 throttle and trim gauge showing around half. So I trimmed down to about 1/4, not much effect, Should mention somewhat windy and choppy water.
So I ease off the throttle and I think I had to be below 1/2 throttle to get in the 4400-4800 zone.
I took her back to the dock, idle in neutral showing around 1500rpm and in forward at lowest it seemed to be around 1000rpm.
Battery gauge at that point showing around 13.5, temp around 160-170. I do find my gauges somewhat jumpy, the battery gauge would jump 0.5 volts or so back and forth. The engine seemed to run fine and smoothly and didn't seem overly loud or stressed. Oil pressure was around or just below 40 when idling, halfway to or almost at 60 (next mark?) when going at the 4500-5000 rpm (it seemed to read lower on our first trip).
Thoughts? I guess I should run it again and see what I get. Will be taking it out of water for fluid changes in a couple of weeks, won't have a chance to use it til then anyway.

How to check accuracy of tach?

Sorry for long post and thanks for any thoughts.

1996 Mariah Z252 06-15-2017 03:21 PM

Re: RPM's, electrical issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maciej (Post 62707)
Hello all

It's been about 3 weeks since we took our new to us 1994 Talari 180 for a run. That time it seemed to be running fine, running the 4.3 with a 21p 3 blade aluminum we were occasionally seeing about 5200 rpm on the tach at WOT.
Today I was checking in on the boat as she has been sitting in the water for those 3 weeks. Seemed like less than 30 seconds to pump out whatever water got in, I think through leaky cover up front.
She took few cranks to get started, battery gauge was showing maybe11 volts. She started and ran quietly so I let her warm up for a couple of minutes while I checked things over.
Decided to take her for a spin, she got on plane nicely but a couple of minutes in I looked at the tach and I was showing 5500 RPM, this at maybe 2/3-3/4 throttle and trim gauge showing around half. So I trimmed down to about 1/4, not much effect, Should mention somewhat windy and choppy water.
So I ease off the throttle and I think I had to be below 1/2 throttle to get in the 4400-4800 zone.
I took her back to the dock, idle in neutral showing around 1500rpm and in forward at lowest it seemed to be around 1000rpm.
Battery gauge at that point showing around 13.5, temp around 160-170. I do find my gauges somewhat jumpy, the battery gauge would jump 0.5 volts or so back and forth. The engine seemed to run fine and smoothly and didn't seem overly loud or stressed. Oil pressure was around or just below 40 when idling, halfway to or almost at 60 (next mark?) when going at the 4500-5000 rpm (it seemed to read lower on our first trip).
Thoughts? I guess I should run it again and see what I get. Will be taking it out of water for fluid changes in a couple of weeks, won't have a chance to use it til then anyway.

How to check accuracy of tach?

Sorry for long post and thanks for any thoughts.

Don't worry! My tach has issues like that occasionally. All that you have to do is hit it a few times. Then it will fix it. This could just be a random occurrence but if it keeps happening more often I recommend you buy a new Gauge. I have the same issue on my 13ft whaler. (borrowed for a summer.) on the whaler that I mentioned every time I'd hit a decent wave it would do the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Firestone 06-15-2017 03:32 PM

On the back of your tach is a very small selector switch for the type of engine you have. 4, 6, 8. The connections sometime get a little corroded (you said you had water up front). I would start by taking a very small screw driver and switch the selector to 4 and then back to your engine type. Did this myself at the start of the season. Works great now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Maciej 06-15-2017 03:35 PM

Excellent, thanks for the tips guys :)

Firestone 06-15-2017 03:41 PM

The shout out is for ShabahZ280. Over half the stuff I learned this last year has his name in the posts. Do a site search for additional info. The gauges have a lifetime warranty from Faria. So if it is broke you can register it to your name for like $50 (plus shipping) and have it repaired

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk