The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Suggestions on what Batteries to buy (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/11471-suggestions-what-batteries-buy.html)

lampeta 05-25-2017 03:36 PM

Suggestions on what Batteries to buy

I have a Z272 that needs new batteries. Any suggestion on what brand/type/size to buy? Is one battery for starting and one for accessories or should they both be the same? Deep Cycle?

MTH 05-25-2017 04:36 PM

Re: Suggestions on what Batteries to buy

I believe most folks with a dual battery setup use one starting battery and one deep cycle battery. Use the starting battery for just that and the deep cycle anytime you're sitting there with engine off, music going, lights on, accessories running etc...

Wish mine had a dual setup! May convert it over this winter as small project.

Motoxxx43 05-25-2017 08:21 PM

Ditto to what MTH said though at the time I have two deep cycles because I just happened to have a newer one laying around.

If you were looking for opinions on different brands Ill give you mine. Those Everstart marine batteries from Walmart are hard to beat. A group 29 is right at $100 and they last if you take care of them. As far as I remember they are made by Johnson Controls who also makes Interstate. I dont know if that is still true to this day but I have one in my boat that is now 7 years old and still crankin. I can see the point in spending double that on an Optima and getting the same results.

jarredo 06-15-2017 08:12 AM

Can't go wrong with everstart marine. These batteries usually last about 4 years.

chuse927 06-15-2017 10:57 AM

I've got 2 interstate batteries in mine. Seem to be working good. I just switch back and forth each trip. Use 1 then go to 2 next trip. Run one down in a day on the lake.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1996 Mariah Z252 06-15-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motoxxx43 (Post 62355)
Ditto to what MTH said though at the time I have two deep cycles because I just happened to have a newer one laying around.

If you were looking for opinions on different brands Ill give you mine. Those Everstart marine batteries from Walmart are hard to beat. A group 29 is right at $100 and they last if you take care of them. As far as I remember they are made by Johnson Controls who also makes Interstate. I dont know if that is still true to this day but I have one in my boat that is now 7 years old and still crankin. I can see the point in spending double that on an Optima and getting the same results.

Ever start makes very good batteries. Just be aware that Walmart will charge you $10 extra dollars when you buy a new battery. The price will probably varie higher becuase that's what I paid when I bought a lawnmower battery. It's all part of there commitment to "save the planet" they will reimburse you if you bring your old battery in.. Defenitly get deep cycle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk