The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   99 Merc 5.7 with Bravo 3 MEFI3 question (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/11265-99-merc-5-7-bravo-3-mefi3-question.html)

GaryDoug 01-31-2017 05:35 PM

99 Merc 5.7 with Bravo 3 MEFI3 question

Hi,

First of all, the boat runs great. As far as I can tell it has the MEFI3 module. I would like to connect a pc to get any trouble codes that may be present. The program and cable I bought did not work. So I tired to do the "flash codes" procedure and that did not work either. Yes, the ignition was on and engine was off. I could not even get a MIL indicator light to work at all. The service manual I have says the MIL should be lit whenever the ignition switch is on and the engine is stopped. I connected a 12v light but it never comes on. I have followed the troubleshooting procedure for "MIL not working" and it all passes. The only step left in the procedure is to replace the ECM, which I won't do to just get the diagnostics to work.

Now my question: Has anyone here been able to put their ECM into diagnostic mode for code retrieval (flash method) or even tried to connect a MIL (trouble ) lamp? Has anyone successfully retrieved trouble codes or done an ECM scan with pc? I am very familiar with scanning the GM automotive ECMs, but not for the boat.

Thanks
Gary
1999 Z202 5.7L EFI Bravo3

GaryDoug 02-02-2017 03:18 AM

re: 99 Merc 5.7 with Bravo 3 MEFI3 question

Nevermind, I found the problem.

Hunter12345 02-05-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryDoug (Post 61281)

'98 mariah shabah 180
5.7l 350 mag
Bravo III

Hunter12345 02-05-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryDoug (Post 61281)

Oops.. lol! Was just reading your thread, interesting.. did you manage to pull error codes?

'98 mariah shabah 180
5.7l 350 mag
Bravo III

GaryDoug 02-05-2017 02:14 PM

Yes, I did. Much to my embarrassment, the problem was that the safety cutoff switch on the control unit was off. This is a new boat for me and I didn't realize it was off. Or that is was even there ;-)
There were no codes, just the "12". I was able to "flash" the code and monitor with the pc diagnostic app also.

ShabahZ280 02-14-2017 06:53 PM

Re: 99 Merc 5.7 with Bravo 3 MEFI3 question

What diagnostic software and cable are you using?

GaryDoug 02-14-2017 08:23 PM

I am using the MEFI3 package from OBD Diagnostics: OBD Diagnostics

At $195, it's a bit pricey for what you get, but it is plug-and-play on a pc. In reality, the program (ScannerPro) is just a stripped down version of the free TunerPro RT program using a definition file for the MEFI ecu version I have ("mefi3.adx"), and an ordinary OBD1-USB cable ($20-$50 retail) with the special 10-pin connector (about $8 retail) that fits the Merc engine. The .adx file is the only thing unique and not commonly available for automotive use.

GaryDoug 09-01-2017 09:04 PM

For those with the MEFI-3 ECU, I have written a scan app for PC that works well and probably better than the one selling for about $200. Also, mine is free.

Also, I have written a new MEFI3.adx file similar to the one that came with the app that I bought and made it compatible with the free program TunerProRT. The file is in the same folder referenced in the topic below.

See this topic: http://www.mariahownersclub.com/foru...html#post63849

Brian Belcher 09-04-2017 03:40 AM

I'm proud of myself when I remember to suck the black water tank BEFORE I leave the lake and this guy, casually, says " Oh yea, and I rewrote the programming on the scan tool and made it better". Talk about making a fella feel like a dumbarse !!
Thanks GaryDoug !!
I least I doubt have a FUNNY name !!!

oh hell......I do have a funny name.....

GaryDoug 09-04-2017 03:46 AM

He he, I did a lot of software programming as part of my job before I retired a few years ago. Can't stop now! If I seem arrogant it is because...well I am ;-) At least that's what my wife says.

pllevine 09-04-2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryDoug (Post 63873)
He he, I did a lot of software programming as part of my job before I retired a few years ago. Can't stop now! If I seem arrogant it is because...well I am ;-) At least that's what my wife says.

Don't mind me, fellas.... I'm just gonna sit here from the sidelines and laugh my ass off. You guys are pretty funny..... and don't start doing the Joe Pesci "Do I amuse you?" Stuff from the movie because, yes, like a clown, youse guys amuse me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk