The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Gimbal bearing replacement (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/11121-gimbal-bearing-replacement.html)

robsx18 09-02-2016 10:26 PM

Gimbal bearing replacement

Hi guys , how many have had trouble getting the old gimbal bearing out.
Alpha 1 Gen11
Mine is stuck in hard.
Tried slide hammering etc to no avail.
Awaiting the correct puller turning up, sux to have to buy it but once i hve it this won't be a pain next time.
Getting ready for summer in Aus .

Bdbwtie 09-03-2016 03:48 PM

Re: Gimbal bearing replacement

Quote:

Originally Posted by robsx18 (Post 60747)
Hi guys , how many have had trouble getting the old gimbal bearing out.
Alpha 1 Gen11
Mine is stuck in hard.
Tried slide hammering etc to no avail.
Awaiting the correct puller turning up, sux to have to buy it but once i hve it this won't be a pain next time.
Getting ready for summer in Aus .

Autozone rents a slide hammer, and an axle bearing puller kit. Comes with 3 different sizes. One you have to get just right to get it to slide into gimbral. with the right puller and slide hammer it shouldn't come to hard. Depending on how old, condition, might have to slide hammer it pretty hard

pllevine 09-03-2016 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdbwtie (Post 60752)
Autozone rents a slide hammer, and an axle bearing puller kit. Comes with 3 different sizes. One you have to get just right to get it to slide into gimbral. with the right puller and slide hammer it shouldn't come to hard. Depending on how old, condition, might have to slide hammer it pretty hard

Do they have AutoZone stores in Australia?

1998 202 Shabah 5.0L Alpha 1

Bdbwtie 09-03-2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pllevine (Post 60754)
Do they have AutoZone stores in Australia?

oops didn't realize he was from Australia!

On second thought, don't they have autozones everywhere? lol

pllevine 09-03-2016 04:03 PM

I was wondering that myself... Amazing though... How Mariah Boats are all over the planet.... I wonder if there's a membership list by country?

Hudson River Steve 09-03-2016 08:26 PM

I've used both methods, slide hammer and puller. They can be real stubborn sometimes if the have any rust on them. I like to chuck a wire brush into my cordless drill and remove as much corrosion from the gimbal housing as possible. Then I soak the interface between the bearing and gimbal with PB Blaster. Next give the bearing race a smack inward with a BFH and a bar just to break any corrosion between the race and the gimbal housing. Either puller method should now work although I prefer the threaded rod puller.

robsx18 09-03-2016 10:55 PM

Cheers for the feed back guys.
Yeah its a stubborn one. Have done them before but haven't had one this tight
Used a decent slide hammer, no good.
Have to clean it up a bit and soak it then will use the puller when i get back home.
No hurry at the moment, leg is serviced and ready to go back in.
Haven't had the boat long so just going over it while the weather is cooler , getting ready for a maintenance free summer .

robsx18 09-14-2016 02:24 AM

Update, bearing done and all back together happy.
The bearing took some pulling even with the correct puller.
Worth every cent that thing.
Done alignment check while there (made up the tool at work)
Only snag was having to split the lower leg again as the impeller (new) had two vanes going the wrong way.
Water tested , all happy and quiet.
Summer is coming :)

kylakerat 09-15-2016 01:22 AM

Is it just me, or is it odd to see someone doing the spring maintenance and getting ready for summer....in September! Here in the northern hemisphere I'm currently debating squeezing in another trip or two, or just going on and winterizing.

Glad the bearing finally pulled. Have a good summer!

robsx18 09-15-2016 01:49 AM

Haha, i suppose it would be odd for you guys in the Northern Hemisphere .
But down here in Perth Aus, we can boat nearly all year round.
Went out Tues arvo, it was 18 deg C. A littile cool, had to wear a jacket but it as a beautiful sunny day on the Swan River.