The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Alternator upgrade (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/10761-alternator-upgrade.html)

Txtruckerpaul 05-12-2016 11:51 AM

Alternator upgrade

Hi gang. Last year I upgraded my electrical system from one battery to two deep cycle batteries. Since I did this, I have had problems with the batteries staying charged. My stock alternator only pushes 55 amps. Would an upgrade to a high output alternator cure this problem? If so, how big should I go? I've seen them from 90, 100, 130 and even 140 amps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motoxxx43 05-12-2016 06:33 PM

Re: Alternator upgrade

That is odd. I have not had any problems with that battery iso system. My alternator is the factory 65 amp. The group 27 handles most all of the electric as the group 29 runs the sound system - two amps totaling 1000RMS. No problems charging and we sit with the stereo going for periods at a time. The batteries seldom read below 70% on the charger when they are first hooked up after going out.

Txtruckerpaul 05-12-2016 06:41 PM

Thanks, Moto.

Maybe my alternator is just old and worn out. I've had the boat for three years, so I'm not sure when it was replaced last. There's a good chance it is the original since it is black and the previous owner never did any work to the boat at all. (i.e. the shifter boot was cracked and letting water in the boat. Instead of fixing it, he just left the bilge pump run all the time, lol).
I have noticed the voltage guage bounching around from 10-12 volts when it is idling and would never get over 12 when cruising. I was thinking of going with a larger alternator since I have added a lot of extra stuff on the boat like extra lights, stereo and amp, etc. but not sure how big would be too big

Motoxxx43 05-12-2016 07:12 PM

You might be able to find that info somewhere out there on the internet. As for your volts while underway I am pretty sure Im running around 14 on the Faria and my Lowrance is reading high 13's. That could be your issue. A buddy turned me onto these DB Electrical alternators. He likes his and it was 1/3 the cost of a Mercruiser part.

Txtruckerpaul 05-12-2016 07:15 PM

Thanks Moto,
I'll look into the DB alternators. Mercruiser is mighty proud of their parts!

Txtruckerpaul 05-17-2016 03:46 PM

so I ordered a new alternator yesterday. It is a 130 amp, plenty big enough to keep my two batteries charged up and run my lights, stereo, etc. Now do I need to install a larger charge wire? The existing wire (orange, I'm sure is stock factory) looks to be a 8 or 10 gauge

Hudson River Steve 05-18-2016 12:20 PM

You are going to need to at least double the size of the original or parallel it with the same size. Does your boat have a battery isolator? If so, is it rated for 130A?

Txtruckerpaul 05-18-2016 12:26 PM

I do have an isolator. I think it is a blueseas unit. I'll have to find out the rating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hudson River Steve 05-18-2016 01:19 PM

Blue Seas make nice products. I believe their ML series is capable of 500A , all other series are rated well below 130A.

Txtruckerpaul 05-18-2016 01:25 PM

Thanks, Steve for the great info. I will check to see which series I have. Do you think 130 amps is overkill?