The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Alternator upgrade (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/10761-alternator-upgrade.html)

Motoxxx43 05-18-2016 01:38 PM

Re: Alternator upgrade

I have the same isolator you have Paul and I think they might be rated for 120 but it's been a long time since I put mine in and I can't say for certain that's correct.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Txtruckerpaul 05-18-2016 01:43 PM

ok, thanks, Moto. Dummy me... I didn't even think about the isolator having an amp rating. I'm at my office now (yea, I'm getting lots of work done playing on the computer,lol) and will check it when I get home and look at it. I probably shouldn't have gotten that big of an alternator, especially if I'll have to change the isolator and other things for it to work

Motoxxx43 05-18-2016 02:05 PM

I found the add a battery kit we have HERE showing 120. The ACR is part number 7610 and the whole kit number is 7650 of you are looking them up.

Txtruckerpaul 05-18-2016 02:09 PM

I found mine on some old pics I had on my phone. It's the one rated for 120 amps. dangit!

Hudson River Steve 05-18-2016 02:37 PM

Paul,
130A is a lot of alternator but bigger is always better, right? 130A alt will just charge the batteries faster or allow you to run a lot of electrical accessories and still charge the batteries. I have the standard 65A in my Z280 and it has no issue running my boat and charging 3 batteries, a group 24, a group 27 and a monster 4D. Do you have a monster stereo on your boat? A 65A alt should support up to almost 1000W without draining the batteries. Or do you do a lot of idle cruising? The alternator only puts out its max amperage at a specific RPM (>3000RPM). Your present alternator may have one or more of the rectifier diodes out which would only give you 1/3 to 2/3 of its rated output.

If your ACR is rated at 120A you are probably OK. I doubt your 130A alternator actually puts out 130A unless you have some ideal conditions...but i cannot guarantee it.

Motoxxx43 05-18-2016 02:42 PM

Good info Steve! I was unaware of the RPM at which the alternator put out it's rated amps. Similar to your experience I have not had any charging issues with the stock alternator and 2 batteries.

Txtruckerpaul 05-18-2016 02:47 PM

Steve, I have a 400 watt stereo. A lot of our time on the water is spend either anchored in a cove with stereo going and engine off, or idling around the coves but we do pull a tube at higher speeds. I will cruise at full throttle some, too, but not all the time. I have thought about the "actual" output of an alternator. Like a lot of things, the advertised rating is somewhat higher than the actual, but not sure. I can't remember the group size of my two batteries. I think they may be 27's. I do remember they have something like 850 cold cranking amps

Txtruckerpaul 05-30-2016 01:15 PM

Finally got the new alternator on. Left the original hot wire on the alt and ran an 8 gauge wire to the starter solenoid, too. Ran it at the lake all day and no problems!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motoxxx43 05-30-2016 01:52 PM

Good deal. What voltage was it running at? Where did you get the alternator?

Txtruckerpaul 05-30-2016 02:02 PM

It ran almost 14 volts. Was big enough to keep both batteries charged all day. I got it on eBay. Can't remember the name of the seller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk