The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Need Advice - Bravo III Gimbal Ring Replacement - Mechanic Advised (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/10133-need-advice-bravo-iii-gimbal-ring-replacement-mechanic-advised.html)

Z225 Davanti 05-18-2015 04:14 AM

Need Advice - Bravo III Gimbal Ring Replacement - Mechanic Advised

Hello all -

I have a question and maybe just looking for some validation. I have 95 Davanti Z225 with a 350 and Bravo III. Last year my boat steering was all over the place... tons of slack in the steering and seems as though the only cause would be that the gimbal ring has gone bad.

So, I brought it to our trusty boat mechanic and after a few days he brings me the lengthy list of parts I need to do the repair... about $2200 in parts, plus he says is 10-12 hours of labor.

Now, I can find the parts online and save hundreds or could have opted for a JR Marine type fix (outdrive and ring is already off now)....

My question is: do I really need to replace ALL this stuff if the gimbal ring is bad?

For example:

- Trim Senders
- Gimbal Bearing Kit
- Gimbal ring
- Bellows
- Steering shaft assbly
- Shift cable assbly
- All nuts, washers, pins, plugs, etc

Seems excessive to me... thoughts???

He also mentioned that the engine coupler "seemed a little worn" but that was another 2k or so after labor. Whew... all together that's all almost what I paid for the boat!

Thanks in advance,
Adam :confused::confused:

Z225 Davanti 05-18-2015 11:16 PM

Re: Need Advice - Bravo III Gimbal Ring Replacement - Mechanic Advised

Bueler?

Hudson River Steve 05-19-2015 12:20 PM

The list of parts seems correct to me. If you have to replace the gimbal ring, all the parts listed are connected directly to it. I don't think your mechanic would want to use old parts on a new install. If something went wrong in a week, month or even a year and you had to tear into again...just think how pissed you would be.

Motoxxx43 05-20-2015 03:44 AM

I purchased my Shabah250 with a messed up gimbal. The steering pin was worn as was its location in the gimbal. I took the gimbal rig off an had a machine shop build it up and machine it to the steering pin. Ended up costing me 400$ for the machine work I believe plus the pin and basically everything on your list. In retrospect I would have either A- sent it to JR marine an had them do it. They have the experience and know how to do a good job. OR B-http://m.ebay.com/itm/400134489977? And not have to pay the 1200 for the stock aluminum ring.

I repaired my gimbal at 300 hrs (maybe less) and am almost at 500. Zero problems and still zero play.

Motoxxx43 05-20-2015 03:48 AM

As for the coupler... They go out. If it looks questionable I'd have a hard time talking myself out of not doing it now as opposed to having it crap out while boating and getting towed in. When they go out you do not move...

Z225 Davanti 05-20-2015 03:51 AM

Thanks Motoxx... I've already bitten the bullet and am down the path to have it all done... Merc parts, Merc mechanic. Not the cheapest route, but I'll sleep well.

Thanks for the reply though!

Adam

Motoxxx43 05-20-2015 03:58 AM

It sucks when this kinda thing happens at start of season! Time is valuable for sure!
Your piece of mind will be worth it. When it's completed you will be good to go for seasons to come! That's how I look at it.

PS I do like the OEM stuff. The pin an U bolt were the only non OEM stuff I used on the rebuild which was more in depth than just a ring an pin. Happy boating!!

emcgregor62 06-15-2015 01:01 AM

Just bought a 1995 Z225 myself today, with a bad gimbal! Thanks to this forum I should avoid a heart attack when I go to the shop this week :) Looking forward to restoring her to pristine condition - I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Ed

cswinings 06-16-2015 04:10 PM

Here's what really stinks.. I bought my boat with a bad engine, so I had the engine out to rebuild it, turns out I also have a bad gimble ring/steering assembly but I didn't know until after I put the motor back in and took it for a test drive. I could have done it all at once, but now I will have to pull the motor again... Doooooooooooooh!!!!

emcgregor62 06-16-2015 07:15 PM

Ouch - talked to my mechanic today and he believes it might just be an issue with the steering assembly, given the out drive has limited vertical play (from what I can see). Goes tot he shop later this week, so we'll find out.

Thanks,
Ed