Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Buying a Used Mariah?

Mariah Boats For Sale & Wanted

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #1

mikeyt is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1996
My Model: Shabah 180
My Engine: 4.3
Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
a Private Message

Exclamation Buying a Used Mariah?

Mariahs are generally built very well but like any used vehicle or boat, maintenance is key and a poorly maintained boat can be a financial nightmare. Here are a few things to keep in mind when looking at buying a used Mariah:

Knowledge is the key to your happiness with your purchase ..... along with having the okay from your wife.

Get copies of (or at least look thru) the vendor's service records and ensure that it was properly winterized each fall. If you see a 'rebuilt block or 4.3 or whatever' invoice dated in the spring, then it likely wasn't done or wasn't done right. If you are going to buy the boat, get copies of their service records. Look for other significant items that were rebuilt or replaced and ask why?

Pull the oil dipstick and see if the oil looks fresh. Check the level of the out-drive oil in the reservoir. If you dont know where it is, ask the vendor to show you.

Have a look at the general cleanliness of the boat and the motor/bilge area. That will give you an idea if the owner had some 'pride of ownership' and kept her maintained.

Take someone who is knowledgeable (or at least pretends to be) with you to view the boat and get the boat on the water for a performance test. If your 'helpful' person is good, buy 'em lunch or at least a pint!

Make sure all of the electrics (switches/lights/power trim & tilt) work. With Mercruiser outdrives, replacing the trim/tilt sensors are a pita.

Make sure all of the interior trim pieces are present and/or in good condition. Sourcing original trim pieces and particularly glass can be difficult.

Make sure all of the canvas covers are included & in good condition. Replacing them can be pricey and most likely you will have to buy a custom fit as originals in excellent condition are very difficult to find.

Make sure the vendor can prove ownership of the boat. You dont wanna get stuck buying something that belongs to someone else....

Best of luck and keep us posted on how you make out!

ps... i'm sure i'm forgetting something. PM me if you can think of it.
Gordon Tardif likes this.

Last edited by mikeyt; 01-26-2014 at 01:52 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikeyt For This Useful Post:
Capn Jerry (01-08-2019), Dionysius (07-11-2014), ed braun (05-25-2020), mford (11-21-2015), Mlaba (12-29-2021), RyeWhisky (09-10-2016)
  • Old 01-26-2014, 01:58 AM   #2

ss454ls61970 is currently offline
    Gallery Images: 0

Send ss454ls61970:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Buying a Used Mariah?

Thanks! Very informative I will use your tips!
    The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ss454ls61970 For This Useful Post:
    DAVE R (08-11-2014), hunteraa (05-30-2018)
    Closed Thread