The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   new 1999 z212 owner (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/9513-new-1999-z212-owner.html)

boatinmo 06-24-2014 12:59 AM

new 1999 z212 owner

i bought this boat at a great price. Of course a boat this old has some problems with instruments. The compass sometimes spins but never points in the right direction. the gas gauge bounces, the depth finder reads 0.5 all the time and the speedometer doesn't work. The boat is in great shape and runs great. I'm sure I'll enjoy the boat

mikeyt 06-24-2014 01:04 AM

Re: new 1999 z212 owner

Do a site search (top right corner of the screen) for those items you mentioned and you find lots of threads on those subjects.

btw....welcome aboard!

ColoradoDiablo 06-24-2014 01:09 AM

Welcome to MOC! :)

watertoad 06-24-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatinmo (Post 53526)
i bought this boat at a great price. Of course a boat this old has some problems with instruments. The compass sometimes spins but never points in the right direction. the gas gauge bounces, the depth finder reads 0.5 all the time and the speedometer doesn't work. The boat is in great shape and runs great. I'm sure I'll enjoy the boat

I don't think any of these are really problems:

Compass Gauge: tap on it a few times. Lots of the gauges have gunk/mold that builds up over time, and have to be tapped to break some of it up.

Gas gauge bounces just like on a car, it has a float and that's what it reads. As it bobs around, it'll bounce.

Depth finder: you cannot use it while driving, have to be sitting still for it to read properly. Try turning it on when the boat is sitting still in the water, with power on, engine off.

Speedometer: Behind the out outdrive, you will see a thin rubber hose. Check to make sure the rubber hose doesn't have any rips/seams. The speedo pickup is a tiny little hole that is on the very edge of the back of the outdrive, make sure it isn't clogged.

Welcome to the Mariah Owners club :)

mikeyt 06-24-2014 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watertoad (Post 53545)
I don't think any of these are really problems:

Compass Gauge: tap on it a few times. Lots of the gauges have gunk/mold that builds up over time, and have to be tapped to break some of it up.

Gas gauge bounces just like on a car, it has a float and that's what it reads. As it bobs around, it'll bounce.

Depth finder: you cannot use it while driving, have to be sitting still for it to read properly. Try turning it on when the boat is sitting still in the water, with power on, engine off.

Speedometer: Behind the out outdrive, you will see a thin rubber hose. Check to make sure the rubber hose doesn't have any rips/seams. The speedo pickup is a tiny little hole that is on the very edge of the back of the outdrive, make sure it isn't clogged.

Welcome to the Mariah Owners club :)

Not quite.... Compass? Possibly yes.
Gas gauge? We do have a cure for that problem in our 'How To' section entitled "Fix your jittery fuel gauge" by RJobe.
Depth finder: Cant use it while driving? Mine works while i'm driving. Usual cause for not reading properly is that the transducer has loosened from its epoxy mount.
Speedometer: Absolutely. Hose has a habit of coming off the connection at the outdrive and the small hole in the front of the outdrive has a habit of getting plugged. To find out, remove the plastic hose from the back of the speedo and use a small air compressor to blow it out backwards towards the outdrive. Dont use too much pressure.