The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   Just bought a Mariah (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/7499-just-bought-mariah.html)

allz28 10-06-2012 02:40 PM

Just bought a Mariah

I'm glad to find this place! :wink_thumbup:

I just bought a 1996 z210 Shabah with the 5.7l merc from my Uncle sight unseen for $3500.

I'm taking a little bit of a gamble but I grew up boating on this boat and know it used to be well cared for and garage kept. About 6 years ago, due to health problems, they started storing it outside and only running it about once every summer. They always had it professionally winterized and kept up on maintenance. But the last time it was in the water was 2 years ago.

At least they promised my money back if we can't get it started--although I'd hate to do that to them.

They told me there's two covers on it but for some reason the interior is very moist and there's mildew all over. They said that once you wipe it off the interior still looks really good. The ski closet in the middle of the floor is real wet, but it doesn't have standing water sitting inside it. The paint is faded and some of the decals are starting to peel.

Do I have to worry much about rot? They assured me that the floor and everything is solid as can be and that it's fiberglass anyway, but I know there's wood down there in the stringer system.

I haven't really heard of Mariahs rotting much, but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I'm glad to find you all. I pick the boat up in Spring since I live in Arkansas and they live in Ky. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions then!

ColoradoDiablo 10-06-2012 05:42 PM

Re: Just bought a Mariah

You need to get them to put vents in the cover if you can. That will help with the mildew. You could also have them put one of the drying agent cans in under the cover too.
Mariahs are very well built and usually don't have problems with floor rot at all:)
On the other hand the seats and bow rail pads are another story. I had to redo the complete bow in my Diablo along with the sundeck , but it was easy. Just a little time consuming. But like most of us , I got more time than money. LOL

Welcome , and in my opinion sounds like you got a deal!!

Larry

allz28 10-06-2012 09:25 PM

Larry, I think you hit this one on the head. Totally makes sense. I remember that the original cover had two vents in it. And I bet when they put the second cover over top of it, they probably blocked the vents. I'm going to talk to them about it. Thanks!!!!

And can you enlighten me on those drying agent cans? I'm not familiar with them. Where can they be bought and what exactly are they called? Thanks!!!

ColoradoDiablo 10-06-2012 09:55 PM

Here are the ones that I use.:)

Damp Check Dome Moisture Absorber - Overton's

Another thing I found useful. Tilex works great for cleaning the mold and mildew from the vinyl.

Larry

csterner 10-06-2012 11:45 PM

You can also use Damp Rid. That's what we have always used and Walmart carries it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/DampRid-RV...orber/16627481

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

allz28 10-07-2012 01:19 PM

Thanks! Very helpful.

Oregondunes 10-07-2012 03:22 PM

Lysol will be your friend. spray it everywhere. kills mold and mildew

Saucy1 10-11-2012 04:33 PM

I have found that using a half and half mixture of regular vinegar with a table spoon or two of baking soda in a spray bottle is great for getting rid of the water spots and scum lines that tend to show up if the boat has been in the water for the day. For really bad mildew on the interior Tilex works great, I can confirm that!

allz28 10-11-2012 06:33 PM

Sweet! Can't wait to get the boat this spring and start cleaning it up.

The good news is that my Aunt and Uncle ran some pvc pipe underneath one cover to the vents, and they put some of that walmart damp rid in the boat. Hopefully, that should help it until then.

Saucy1 10-15-2012 03:07 AM

Nice. I just put mine away for the winter and I am already chomping at the bit for next summer lol.