Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

looking to buy 1st boat-94 mariah 220 open bow

Introductions

Old 02-09-2008, 04:04 AM   #1

mcowboycollier is currently offline
Gallery Images: 0

Send mcowboycollier:
a Private Message

Default looking to buy 1st boat-94 mariah 220 open bow

We have read many of the forums since joining the club and all seem to agree that they love the mariah. It has 266 hours on a 7.4 GM/Volvo Penta DP. I haven't seen many 94's out there when searching.
Any thoughts/input would be apreciated. New to club and new to post:
  • Old 02-09-2008, 06:37 AM   #2

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Hi mcowbotcollier,

Welcome aboard the club! Your right about how people feel about Mariah’s. Mariah's motto was "Built and Equipped Like No Other Boat In The World" and they were right. They built some of the strongest hulls in the business and then outfitted them with options and amenities no other boat manufacture would do for the price. Bottom line, you can't go wrong with a well maintained Mariah!

A 94 220 w/ 7.4 duo drive should go like a scalded cat, no problem with any water sports, that’s for sure. Anyway, from what I have found, you’re probably looking at a 220 Talari open bow. Weighs is at about 3600lbs w/66 gal tank and the top end should be between 58 – 65mph. I have a 96 Z240 Talari with the same motor; yours would be about 2ft shorter and has about half the hours. Just remember, with power come gas consumption and this is a BIG engine…

Take some time and read the other threads of first time buyers, We all recommend having your boat checked out by a knowledgeable mechanic familiar with boats and the type of engine/outdrive you have and if you can, take a test drive. Even a Mariah can have a plethora of issues if it wasn’t cared for.

If it is in good condition, I would definitely go for it! Mariah’s are known for their ride and their handling abilities are second to none. Many reviews have stated that they feel and ride like larger boats.

Well I hope this helped!

Good luck,
    WetWilly
    Old 02-26-2008, 03:34 AM   #3

Mariahz220Talari is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 1994 Mariah Z220 Talari 454 Bravo 1

Send Mariahz220Talari:
    a Private Message

I have just joined the club myself and purchased a 1994 Mariah Z220 Talari. It has a 454 Mercruiser (7.4L ???) Bravo I with 385 hp at the prop (so I am told) and only 258 hours on it - or 20 hours a summer. I put more hours than that on my car a week driving to work.

I have also read a ton of information on the boat and have found most people love Mariahs. The boat I purchased has held up very well. It has everything from defrost to an electric captain's chair - pretty much loaded. I was told it will also run very fast at 63 to 65 mph.

Got it from a dealer who has tested it, fixed a fuel issue and will also take it out the first time I run it to make sure I am happy with it - otherwise I don't have to buy it.... I don't see that happening

My brother has run a brand new Mariah Z200 Talari (I think) for more about nine or ten years and absolutely loves it. I looked at a few different boats and the second I got in the Mariah I knew it was the one for me.

I hope to get it on the water the first part of May and will be back to ask some questions.

Good luck on the purchase! And I too would love to know any more information on the boat I have purchased because I couldn't find a single Mariah made that year with the same set-up.
    Old 02-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #4

z275st is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 2001 Z275st 496HO Bravo1
    Gallery Images: 33

Send z275st:
    a Private Message

[QUOTE=Good luck on the purchase! And I too would love to know any more information on the boat I have purchased because I couldn't find a single Mariah made that year with the same set-up.[/QUOTE]

The main reason you don’t find many Mariah’s with the same set up is that Mariah was not a “cookie cutter” operation. I got to tour the plant once back in 1999. Being a fairly small builder they built many if not most boats to order. Dealers would order a boat to spec for the customer or make their own order based on what they felt would sell best in their location. This though frustrating at times, make our boats unique. I think dealers of the large franchise builders just get what is sent off the line most of the time, much like auto dealers.
    Old 02-26-2008, 07:43 PM   #5

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

John's right, the majority of the Mariah boats were custom ordered, in 1990 Mariah was producing around 3 boats a day, and at the peak of their business (which i'm assuming was around '00-'01), they were reported to have produced over 5,000 boats, roughly 13-14 boats per day. This number was small compared to the number of boats someone like Sea Ray, Four Winns or *gag* Bayliner produces.

Wow John, you got to tour the original factory? I am so jealous!! I'd really love to see the makings of a boat from the ground up, but the only boat manufacturers around here are Baja and Checkmate in Bucyrus, OH about 2.5hrs away... Sea Ray's about 5hrs away in Knoxville, TN.
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 03-09-2008, 02:34 PM   #6

dharby is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 1994 Z220 Talari 350 Mag
    Gallery Images: 6

Send dharby:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcowboycollier View Post
    We have read many of the forums since joining the club and all seem to agree that they love the mariah. It has 266 hours on a 7.4 GM/Volvo Penta DP. I haven't seen many 94's out there when searching.
    Any thoughts/input would be apreciated. New to club and new to post:

I have the 94 Talari Z220 with 350 mag (green/tan). Stumbled across it in 2006 not being used and made the guy an offer. It was owned/maintained by a commercial airline pilot - literally in showroom condition with 150 hrs. I have had one seat cushion re-sewn as some of the stiching was loose. My bow carpet needs replacing as the snaps have pulled from the carpet. I may put a teak floor insert there.

Pros: The boat is an eye catcher to this day. From my perspective you will get a well built boat with no hidden flaws. My repair guy tells me the boat has quality parts (momo, etc.) and he can't see the need for anything beyond winterizing/de-winterizing for quite a while. Rides smooth....good performance for this type of boat. Great lighting package - interior/dash/docking, etc. My boat is pretty quiet, which I prefer (dunno if 7.4 is set up different than 350). In 2 years I've owned - it has always started fine and run all day long.

Cons: The only things I don't like are the factory bimini - mine snaps on the windshield and only covers the front seats (seems more intended to keep you from the wind than shade you). I'm not a fan of the power hatch lift - too slow and if power fails you can't open it to get to the battery. The back seat bench is for 3 when a little different design could have easily put 4 there.

Paid 15500 for mine with trailer/tops/ropes/tubes/skis/vests. Well worth it as it will hold much of that value.
    Old 03-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #7

magandy is currently offline

Send magandy:
    a Private Message

Default Factory Bimini...

Actually, the factory Bimini you refer to is not a Bimini top, it's a convertible top.
    Tht is usually the "cheap" factory offering for some sun shade.

Andy
    Old 05-20-2010, 10:38 PM   #8

TrapperJack is currently offline
    My Year: 1994
    My Model: Z210 Talari
    My Engine: 5.7 Mercruiser

Send TrapperJack:
    a Private Message

Default Re: looking to buy 1st boat-94 mariah 220 open bow

I bought a 94 z220 w/ 529 hrs about a month ago. I had it on the water 15 minutes and the engine locked up. However, I have sense had the engine replaced with a remanufactured mercruisers 5.7 350. Took it out today for the first time and it ran great! It does need some idle tweaking but aside from that, I was very pleased. The boat overall is in excellent condition minus a couple of typical interior flaws. I would like to know where to find certain specialty parts such as the rear arm rest box plastic, plastic...one side is missing. Oh and the power drivers seat doesn't work...checked the wiring with no luck...is there a fuse? Feed back welcome.
    Old 05-20-2010, 11:20 PM   #9

dharby is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 1994 Z220 Talari 350 Mag
    Gallery Images: 6

Send dharby:
    a Private Message

my z220 power seat fuse is under the instrument panel - near steering wheel....don't know where to get the other parts, but someone here will.
    Old 05-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #10

bbrophy58 is currently offline
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: 182 shabah
    My Engine: 4.3 alpha 1

Send bbrophy58:
    a Private Message

I don't know too much about that particular model, but I can tell you this.....it will fly with that engine/outdrive combo. I have a 182 Shabahwith the 190hp 4.3 and was following a 27ft Shabah last weekend with that same setup as yours. He hit the hammer and even at 50mph, I could not stay with him. Your 22 footer would be even faster. Met the owner at the boat ramp and he told me he had just blown his riser on that fast run. Bummer for him.