Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

1993 Mariah 20 foot

Introductions

Old 05-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #1

BruceLippa is currently offline
Gallery Images: 0

Send BruceLippa:
a Private Message

Default 1993 Mariah 20 foot

Greetings,

I am Bruce Lippa, a new member. Need some advise from other members. Have opportunity to purchase a low hours, 1993-20 foot open bow Mariah. Boat is missing a dashboard compass. Can anyone help me with how to source a new compass and approximate cost of it. Tried Mariah Boat Company-no luck. Also, If anyone has an opinion as to value (price) I would appreciate it. Engine hour gaiuge says 158 hours. Boat has a galvanized trailer. Any advice would be much appreciated. Seems difficult to source parts for Mariahs pre - 2002.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Bruce Lippa
  • Old 05-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #2

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Default Re: 1993 Mariah 20 foot

Welcome aboard Bruce. The compass really isn't much of an issue. I'm not certain exactly what brand/model compass was in that particular boat but something like this Ritchie at Iboats.com should do the trick. Cost is around $75/ Just ensure that the diameter of the compass will fit into the hole in the dash.

You might want to take a few minutes and read up on the history of Mariah here. It's true that some parts are difficult to find for the original Mariahs (glass/interior trim pieces/seats) but for the most part we have sourced many of the original vendors in this list. Its also true that you will get no assistance from the new Mariah Boat Co / Sea Fox Boats as they purchased the name only back in 2002.

As for the boat itself, i would question any boat that is approximately 19 yrs old and claims only 158 hours but its possible that the engine has been rebuilt or replaced and that's the hours used since then. The usual things apply to all slightly older boats whether they are Mariahs, Sea Rays or Bayliners. A maintenance history is always a good thing, a compression test on the motor, checking the fluid levels, ensure that all of the electrics work particularly the trim motor & gauge for the outdrive, hull has no major cracking or leaks and that the interior is in relatively good clean condition with nothing missing. Of course a water test will give you an indicator as to how the boat performs.

As for the price, there aren't many of these boats out there to compare this one against but without seeing the boat i would suggest that $5k be the maximum you would consider.

Last edited by mikeyt; 05-09-2012 at 08:00 PM.
    Thank you mikeyt for this useful post!
    BruceLippa (05-09-2012)
    Old 05-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #3

BruceLippa is currently offline
    Gallery Images: 0

Send BruceLippa:
    a Private Message

Default Re: 1993 Mariah 20 foot

Hi Mikeyt,

Thank you for quick reply. Will take your advice on sourcing replacement compass, boat check out and price.

Bruce