Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

new owner

Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
geo Thread Starter

geo is currently offline
My Year: 2011
My Model: r20.9
My Engine: 4.3 merc
Gallery Images: 0

Send geo:
a Private Message

Default new owner

Hello everyone ,purchased a new r20.9 2011,looks great is there anything that i should know that the salesman didnt tell me thanks
  • Old 08-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #2

Lee B is currently offline
    My Year: 2006
    My Model: SX18
    My Engine: 3.0L Alpha 1

Send Lee B:
    a Private Message

Default Re: new owner

Quote:
    Originally Posted by geo View Post
    Hello everyone ,purchased a new r20.9 2011,looks great is there anything that i should know that the salesman didnt tell me thanks
    Hello Geo, congrats on your new boat....

Do tell what the salesman said then folk will know what he missed out, being a salesman that is probably everything that didn't suit him

It's a bit like the Marie Celeste here, I only joined a couple of days ago but not noticed much going on except the creaking of the timbers.

Good luck with the boat anyway.

Lee B
    Old 08-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
    geo Thread Starter

geo is currently offline
    My Year: 2011
    My Model: r20.9
    My Engine: 4.3 merc

Send geo:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee B View Post
    Hello Geo, congrats on your new boat....

Do tell what the salesman said then folk will know what he missed out, being a salesman that is probably everything that didn't suit him

It's a bit like the Marie Celeste here, I only joined a couple of days ago but not noticed much going on except the creaking of the timbers.

Good luck with the boat anyway.

Lee B
    i went in telling him i very interisted in a 190lx stingray,he said he used to sell them and really had nothing bad tosay about then with the exception that its a fast boat with great handiling But you give a comfortable ride(back breaker)I told him i had a price for a searay 187 with a cotsco discount and fully ready for use with a full tank of fuel$25800.plus tax and the rest.that was 19foot boat as was the stingray ,He says he has a 19 'mariah in a other location and coms back with a price of 29000. and it didnot have the swim platform and it would cost about 800. to get .But he has a 20 footer outside with the works .list for 40000. discount to 34999. long story short (to late)got it for 30000. with tandem wheel surge brake trailer and coast guard package.Right now i think i did well any thoughts?????
    Old 08-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #4

Send Lee B:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by geo View Post
    i went in telling him i very interisted in a 190lx stingray,he said he used to sell them and really had nothing bad tosay about then with the exception that its a fast boat with great handiling But you give a comfortable ride(back breaker)I told him i had a price for a searay 187 with a cotsco discount and fully ready for use with a full tank of fuel$25800.plus tax and the rest.that was 19foot boat as was the stingray ,He says he has a 19 'mariah in a other location and coms back with a price of 29000. and it didnot have the swim platform and it would cost about 800. to get .But he has a 20 footer outside with the works .list for 40000. discount to 34999. long story short (to late)got it for 30000. with tandem wheel surge brake trailer and coast guard package.Right now i think i did well any thoughts?????
    Well, if I was less cynical than I am and still believed in Santa Claus and the tooth fairy I'd say the salesman was a fine chap who clearly went miles out of his way and went that extra mile to give you a brilliant deal.

But I'm not

So I think he sold you something that he happened to want rid of, that wasn't what you went to buy, at a higher price than you intended paying - the figure juggling and back patting is chucked in with the deal.

That said, I really hope the boat suits you and you have many happy years together on your chosen bit of water

Lee B (a bit wary of "salesmen")
    Old 08-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #5

DFZ272 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Z272 Barchetta
    My Engine: 7.4 Bravo III

Send DFZ272:
    a Private Message

Geo, Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy you new boat. Just wondering what engine/outdrive combination was on the stingray and which combination is on the Mariah you bought? This is my thought on what somebody buys.. If YOU are happy with it and it is what YOU wanted, who cares what anybody else thinks.
    Happy Boating
    Dan

Last edited by DFZ272; 08-17-2011 at 03:02 AM. Reason: make a correction
    Old 08-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #6

Dredd is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1993
    My Model: MX-19 - Sold
    My Engine: 4.3

Send Dredd:
    a Private Message

Quote:

Lee B
    Huh? You don't know how to use forums. We've gone from 5,000 to 6,000 users just over the past 4 months. Hardly slow around here.
    Old 08-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #7

Send Lee B:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    Huh? You don't know how to use forums.
    Thank you for that well considered comment, I'm sure you mean no harm

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    We've gone from 5,000 to 6,000 users just over the past 4 months. Hardly slow around here.
    Can't fault your arithmetic old son, as discussed earlier (if you'd bothered to read) it would seem they're all on vacation expected back early September, the other suggestion was that 3,500 were multiple sign ups. If you want to see traffic on a forum try the MoBo forum on ybw.com probably 200 posts a day - there's even Mariah owners on there too

Lee B
    Old 08-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #8

Bailey James is currently offline

Send Bailey James:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Lee B (a bit wary of "salesmen")
    - but who in their right mind isn't?

Salesman's just doing his job, you do yours as an educated buyer. The boat was never 40K (nor a 19' w/ no platform for 29K), but I'm an R20 owner who did an exhaustive multi-state search on that boat prior to buying (very challenging to get real pricing!).
    I don't think you were looking for an evaluation of your salesman or whether you got a good deal or not, but depending on your engine (4.3LMPI?), and in spite of Lee's feel-good post, that's definitely a respectable deal from what I saw. If a smaller engine, well...not as good.

I found the 21 3-blade prop they fitted me with too weak for that boat & water sports (its not a light boat). I swapped it for a 4 blade 19 pitch and notice a nice improvement out of the hole and lower planing speed. Not too concerned about a few less mph at top end. And now I have a spare on hand for the day that I will inevitably screw my screw into some rocks or something unpleasant ;-)

And btw…we’re very happy w/ the boat (and actually our salesman still ;-)
    Enjoy!
    <> Bailey

ps its 1:30 AM in the East and 62 members online currently...the Mary Celeste was probably a bit lonelier

Last edited by Bailey James; 08-17-2011 at 05:56 AM.
    Old 08-17-2011, 05:54 AM   #9

Bailey James is currently offline

Send Bailey James:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bailey James View Post
    -
    depending on your engine (4.3LMPI?)
    4.3L mpi & 220HP, that is.
    Old 08-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #10

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

Quote:

Can't fault your arithmetic old son, as discussed earlier (if you'd bothered to read) it would seem they're all on vacation expected back early September, the other suggestion was that 3,500 were multiple sign ups. If you want to see traffic on a forum try the MoBo forum on ybw.com probably 200 posts a day - there's even Mariah owners on there too

Lee B
    Wow Lee, thanks for the compliments and kind words on the site Sure makes all that effort over the last 4 years feel like it really paid off.

The reason the site may seem inactive is because we don't have as many Sea Fox Mariah owners on here yet as we're only relying on word of mouth and the referrals from Sea Fox Mariah Customer Service for those members. They're gradually signing up and we're gaining more new members everyday. The site's 4 years old, with almost 6,000 members, and over 31,445 posts. I'm sorry if you don't find it up to par with other sites, but I'm sure if you look at all the Mariah owners on those sites, you'll most likely find that 99% of them are members who post here. Yes, things may be somewhat on the quiet side now, perhaps it could be because most of the owners on this site actually are busy using their boats rather than just being keyboard boaters. If you can find a forum site that has 200 posts a day by nothing but Mariah owners with questions relating specifically to Mariah boats, let me know. I'd like to visit that site. Otherwise, there's no chains or ropes keeping you here, so you can feel free to not return if the site isn't up to your standards.

----

As for Geo, the original poster and his question:
    I think you got a pretty good deal. Negotiating from 34999 down to 30k and getting a trailer and CG package is a really good deal! Not to mention a factory warranty on the engine as well as their lifetime hull warranty. I think you'll enjoy your new boat! Congrats and welcome to the club! Keep us updated with how you like it and post some pics for us when you can!
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Closed Thread