The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   Lots of Questions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/5244-lots-questions.html)

MX18 03-17-2011 06:22 AM

Lots of Questions

I recently had a 1990 MX18 giving to me and it has been seen better days. It's pretty much just the hull no motor, outdrive or anything for that matter i have some of the seats as well. My first of many questions is what size motor is it supposed to have? Which outdrive did it have? Where can i find parts and i mean every part possible?

ShabahZ280 03-17-2011 01:45 PM

Re: Lots of Questions

Hi and welcome to the board!

My guess would be the 3.0L, the 4.3L, or the 4.3LX engine models with the Alpha drive.

For parts, just post what you need here and we'll try and help you locate it!

mikeyt 03-17-2011 05:58 PM

Finding interior trim parts for a 1990 isn't gonna be easy. And if you have to buy & install a motor/outdrive/interior parts etc it could get pricey really fast. :(

Phlorida 03-17-2011 06:17 PM

Mikey is offering up some great insight that you should stop and think about. If you look at NADA, your boat has a value of $5000 - $6000 with an engine and operational. (Note: in my area, boats are not even selling for their NADA value) Before you spend a nickel on this boat you should look at whether it makes sense to invest in it or not. I am confident that the person that gave you this boat did it with excellent intentions but the reality is that you may be far better off by investing your money into another boat.

My two cents....

mikeyt 03-18-2011 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phlorida (Post 27820)
Mikey is offering up some great insight that you should stop and think about. If you look at NADA, your boat has a value of $5000 - $6000 with an engine and operational. (Note: in my area, boats are not even selling for their NADA value) Before you spend a nickel on this boat you should look at whether it makes sense to invest in it or not. I am confident that the person that gave you this boat did it with excellent intentions but the reality is that you may be far better off by investing your money into another boat.

My two cents....

Yep, what he said! I'm all for saving an older Mariah if it makes good economic sense but i suspect that with this one, you will put far more $$ into fixing the boat than it may be worth.

MX18 03-18-2011 07:48 AM

Thank you everyone for your insight. Everywhere i've looked online or even stopping in at one of the local boat dealers and all of them I've come across a couple things. Sure they say they can order me parts and custom build the windshield and get anything I need but when it came down to it the prices they were quoting for just a throttle w/t was like 300 and up. So this free boat is gonna turn into a boat full of cash spent so hopefully i can find a reasonably priced Mariah somewhere else any suggestions? Also a place i can take this boat in the Illinois or Missouri area to get rid of it as much as i would hate to do it. I can't have it sitting next to my house in the condition it is in either.

Thanks
MX18

Phlorida 03-18-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MX18 (Post 27828)
Thank you everyone for your insight. Everywhere i've looked online or even stopping in at one of the local boat dealers and all of them I've come across a couple things. Sure they say they can order me parts and custom build the windshield and get anything I need but when it came down to it the prices they were quoting for just a throttle w/t was like 300 and up. So this free boat is gonna turn into a boat full of cash spent so hopefully i can find a reasonably priced Mariah somewhere else any suggestions? Also a place i can take this boat in the Illinois or Missouri area to get rid of it as much as i would hate to do it. I can't have it sitting next to my house in the condition it is in either.

Thanks
MX18

See how your local dump feels about it. Put it on Craigslist for free. Put a "free" sign on it and keep it visible. I'll bet the other people on the forum can come up with some creative ideas.

Dredd 03-18-2011 03:46 PM

Use it as a wakeboard fun box or put a slider on it! ewww... sacrilege!
Phlorida's idea about CL is good. The CL Free section has hawks... I put an old projection screen TV on there last week and had 4 calls in less than 10 minutes.
There are quite a few marine salvage yards. There's Effin' A in Camdenton, MO and I think there is one in Jefferson City as well.

Sorry it didn't work out. Good luck looking for something that will!

mikeyt 03-18-2011 04:04 PM

Without seeing a few photos of the boat, i'm not sure what usuable parts remain that some of our members might be interested in. You might make a few $$ this way & still dispose of whatever is left once done. The downside is that there are not a lot of 1990 Mariah's (& owners) out there with that being the original year of production.

Phlorida 03-18-2011 07:13 PM

Once again I concur with MikeyT, I was too quick to suggest getting rid of it. As you are now painfully aware, anything related to a boat costs a lot of money and you should try to salvage anything that you can. Almost anything in stainless steel is worth something. If it has a trailer, sell that or part it out (after you dump the hull.) In my state the title itself would have value. Someone on this site might be interested in your seat parts.

Maybe others will have some ideas to raise money for the "Get MX18 a proper boat fund."