The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   First post (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/4963-first-post.html)

Clay&Toot 10-12-2010 09:11 PM

First post

Hi all. Not an owner yet but getting closer every day. Wanting a 21 to 27 ft talari or shaba. Sugjestions?

mikeyt 10-12-2010 09:57 PM

Re: First post

First off, you need to know (and tell us) what you want to use the boat for and where (lake/river/ocean, does it need to be trailerable) you want to use it.

Clay&Toot 10-12-2010 10:08 PM

Oklahoma lakes. ski/tube. fun with the 2 kids. Gotta be trailerable. I was told by a local boat sales I need at least a 27ft with dual prop bigblock. I'm thinking 350 small block. I found a used 210 talari with a 351/cobra outdrive I likebut to far to drive to buy.

mikeyt 10-13-2010 01:46 AM

Sounds like a salesman is trying to sell you a boat. I think there are a few members here with 22' - 25' boats who would argue his comments

New Mariah or original Mariah? Cuddy / bowrider? Full wallet to cover costs such as insurance, fuel & maintenance on a big block duo prop? What is your budget? What would you like?

Clay&Toot 10-13-2010 12:57 PM

Original. No way on the full wallet. smallblock talari or shabah. Missed the boat on a 210 talari. Not sure what the differences are between tha Shaba and Talari. All Z boats are loaded. Atlest this is what I've been told.:wink_thumbup:

Reed Hatch 10-13-2010 01:31 PM

I have had boats ranging from 19 ft to 25 ft,jet drive,V drive and I/O,small block and big block.The Z252 shabah that I have is the best of all. I like the 454 with the twin prop, with the idea I can allways back out of the gas but if you don't have it you don't have it. At 5500 feet its nice to go 454 or bigger. If you take it easy on the speed/rpm the gas mileage isn't that bad. If I ran into a boat with a small block that I really liked I would still get it. A few years ago we would do Powell in a 19 ft flat bottom V-drive that would haul butt but with the water a few inches below the top of the boat in bad weather it was scarry. I can't say enough good about my Mariah and the people on this web sight.

ShabahZ280 10-13-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay&Toot (Post 26313)
I found a used 210 talari with a 351/cobra outdrive

I think you'd be a little bit happier with a Mercruiser or Volvo Penta powerplant...

Buy a Z if you can... They are the top of the line and have all of the options available. If you can get a Limited Edition model, they're even more nice with the buckskin interior!

With kids and tubing, I'd look into a bowrider rather than a cuddy. Much more space for the kids and water toys. Also, kids love sitting in the bow while you're underway. I was one once....

Lastly, the trick is to buy the biggest boat your can afford, with the biggest motor available. Otherwise it doesn't take long before the "two-foot-itis" sets in.

Clay&Toot 10-13-2010 02:02 PM

My 1st and 2nd boat both had merc outdrives. both 18ft. Pretty sure it'll be a bowrider.I'm a Ford man so the 351 don't bother me. Just don't know much about the cobra. I don't think they even make them any more. Been looking at everyones pics to get more ideas. Wish I could find a dealer so I could compare everything.

Dredd 10-13-2010 03:25 PM

What lakes specifically? Just curious why the salesman is saying you 'need' such a big boat. I haven't heard of lakes being that busy down there.
Cobra is still around, they actively advertise in boating magazines. I don't know of any boats that come factory equipped with them anymore though.

ShabahZ280 10-13-2010 08:43 PM

OMC redesigned the Cobra in 1993-ish, and began using the Volvo Penta designs, and the "Cobra" model name began to disappear. Not sure if the OMC Cobra became the Volvo Penta SX or what the deal was. However OMC officially filed for bankruptcy in 2000, and parts became quite expensive and rare.

If you want to do some reading, here's a link.
OMC Cobra Sterndrive Tech Info

I have seen many Cobra owners converting to VP and Mercruiser drives just for the ease of future repairs. Just food for thought..... :)