Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Hello All

Introductions

Old 06-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #1

Benz is currently offline
My Year: 1996
My Model: z235
My Engine: 7.4 bravo
Gallery Images: 0

Send Benz:
a Private Message

Wink Hello All

Hello and great site! I just purchased a 1996 Talari cuddy z235 with the 454/bravo.
It will be buffed and polished today and surveyed by Saturday. Hopefully on the water by the weekend. We are so excited!! we live just north of Toronto,Ontario, Canada. I have to ask all you guys a couple of questions. one is how fast do these boats go? what prop should I be using? on the boat is has a talari logo but on the back tag plate it say's davanti. is it a davanti talari? it is the cuddy with the fold down passenger seat and two seats between the engine. the color is green and sort of an off white. Any info on this boat would be so helpful. Is there anyother problems I should note or look for on this beaut of a boat?

Thanks
  • Old 06-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #2

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Hello All

Performance with the 7.4L is 50-54mph and with the 454 mag is 55-60mph. The boat is a Talari but if you want to, you can send your hull ID# to our admin guy (ShabahZ250) and he can confirm via the build records we have. Hopefully will show nothing wrong and your water test will be great! Best of luck.

Lets see what your boat does with the existing prop before worrying about whether its the right one or not. The recommended rpm range at WOT is 4600-5000 for that motor so you want to be within that range at top speed. Also, if you have a portable GPS to confirm your speed that would be better than trusting the speedometer for accuracy.

btw...when you have a moment dont forget to 'pin' your location on our Member Map.
    Old 06-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #3

Send Benz:
    a Private Message

Hi Mikeyt,

Thank you very much for your reply so soon, I have been browsing this site and it is fun to dig. Has there been any problems that you have heard with moisture in these hulls or weeknesses of anykind? the marine surveyor can only get there tuesday. just wondering if I should by the boat then have it done down near my area. the boat looks really sound. and they do not do engines so it is mainly about the hull and structure? is that correct?
    Old 06-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #4

Find me on the Map

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

nah, the hull & structures were very solidly built, perhaps even over-built, at the original Mariah factory. Go for a ride in a Bayliner sometime after you've had your Mariah for a while and you will really see the difference.

As with any older boat, just check to see that everything works particularly things like the trim gauge etc as the sensors have a habit of acting up over time. Hopefully the seller has provided some service records which will help confirm how well the engine/drive were maintained and whether or not they were properly winterized.
    Old 06-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #5

Send Benz:
    a Private Message

Thanks again, I have it at the mechanics now going over it, And he told me there is no cracks or chips. When i saw it I was blown away by the quality. I talk to the marina owner who had serviced it and stored it inside for the last 13yrs. it has 279 hrs approx on it. and the motors are winterized by them always. the owner had the lower unit rebuilt by them two yrs ago. The only problem is that he had broke a small piece off the skeg and had them put this SS cover on? that was weird for me. The marina said it would not effect the performance and is way better at parking. Not sure about that. I have never owned a single before only had two inboards on my searay 34ft. a dream to park. I am also hoping my wifes Dodge Nitro will pull this thing it looks big on a trailer. We had the factory put the heavy duty towing package on it when purchased we will see.
    I will fore sure check the gauges out. But i got the boat and package for 7800.00CDN with all accesories. So the owner will not move if a few electronics do not work.
    Old 06-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #6

Send Benz:
    a Private Message

also I am actually excited about this boat and thats when I will miss stuff.
    Old 06-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #7

Find me on the Map

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benz View Post
    Thanks again, I have it at the mechanics now going over it, And he told me there is no cracks or chips. When i saw it I was blown away by the quality. I talk to the marina owner who had serviced it and stored it inside for the last 13yrs. it has 279 hrs approx on it. and the motors are winterized by them always. the owner had the lower unit rebuilt by them two yrs ago. The only problem is that he had broke a small piece off the skeg and had them put this SS cover on? that was weird for me. The marina said it would not effect the performance and is way better at parking. Not sure about that. I have never owned a single before only had two inboards on my searay 34ft. a dream to park. I am also hoping my wifes Dodge Nitro will pull this thing it looks big on a trailer. We had the factory put the heavy duty towing package on it when purchased we will see.
    I will fore sure check the gauges out. But i got the boat and package for 7800.00CDN with all accesories. So the owner will not move if a few electronics do not work.
    Well, the boat weighs in a 4150lbs / 1882kgs dry and it will be a hand full for your Nitro. It probably wont be as much of an issue pulling the boat as being able to stop it fairly quickly and under control.

The S.S. skeguard has been discussed here previously. They do work and are a slightly less expensive option to repairing/repainting the skeg itself. It wont be as good compared to the handling of your twin screwed Searay though.

$7800 Canuck bucks is quite reasonable for that boat.
    Old 06-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #8

Send Benz:
    a Private Message

Thanks Mikeyt,

I need as much input on this as possible, I feel like a brand new boater.LOL
    Old 06-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #9

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Hi guys, about using the Dodge Nitro for towing the Z235, I believe the dry weight for the Z235 is closer to 4350 with the 7.4L + Bravo outdrive (about a 150lbs heavier than our Z240) combine this with the trailer weight and you're probably looking closer to 6000lbs without fuel, water toys, safety gear or on-board refreshments. Isn't that about 20% over the Nitro's Max Tow Rating of 5000lbs?

Another concern is the motor, with a 4.0L V6 as the largest motor available in the Nitro, besides the braking issue that Mikey pointed out, you will be taxing the power-train (motor and tranny) and possibly the rear suspension and frame as they weren't designed for this much load and even though you have the optional "Trailer Tow Group" package, you still risk over-heating the engine and tranny due to the excessive load.

Personally, I would consider a V8 (more torque) equipped vehicle and a minimum tow limit of 7000lbs or more for any boat over 22ft.

WetWilly
    Old 06-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #10

Send Benz:
    a Private Message

Helo Wetwilly,

Thank You

I called our dealership and we had got that heavy duty package with tranny,motor and steering coole and suspension. I have my doubt about this. they say no problem. you do not count the trailer only the tongue they said. with the distribution hitch and balance properly to keep the front end on the ground. the trailer has surge brakes. so I am still hoping maybe. and all three lakes i.e. lake Ontario, lake simcoe and lake scugog are all within 15 min and the farthest being 30mins. not allot of hills at all. has anyone out there towed one of these boats with454 with a small SUV? If i have to buy a used truck for 2500 I still only paid 10,400 for the whole package that would be super.